• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs are too many?

Molds aside they dont throw half of their discs I bet. So many specialty discs, just in case discs, back up discs, and discs their sponsors want them to fit in their bag for when they make an ITB video and maybe throw (Thunderbird). I did watch one tournament where McBeth played the whole course and through nothing off the tee except a Roc3, stable/os destro, and I think a C-PD. Probably a P2 on his approach shots and the rest he was slamming putts from a stupid distance as his 2nd shot. Dont forgot these top pros are often throwing a drive (often the same 1 or 2 drivers), and then either putting for birdie, or approaching with the same mid or the putter

Edited that after I saw the array of typos and rethought how to word things lol :doh:

its all about # of molds. I do believe you can have too many, conversely your game may suffer a bit if you refuse to bag certain molds that might actually be a great use on a given course.

I'm at 7-9 molds bagged right now and that can mean 15-18 discs (including my putting putters). Which means a lot of the same mold (like the roc3 or PD) but in different stages of wear/plastic to cover US/S/OS duties.

I have a friend who recently I had to almost force to buy a glow champion gator because I knew it would be perfect for him in the woods (he actually has a hard time throwing hyzer and tends to throw only flat or with anny. One of the gaping holes in his bag/game is shots which require going to the right.

He never believed that there was a disc that overstable and slow, and lo and behold he gets the glow gator and the previous hole in his game is covered and he beats me and gets 3rd in a B-Tier (don't worry though I got 4th) last weekend. lol

the first thing out of his mouth was: I USED THE GATOR SO MUCH IN THE WOODS...

I have 20 in my bag at all times. It makes it much easier to ensure that i have all of them if i remember 9 in the right 9 in the left 2 in the putter pocket. That said there are about 15 courses i play regularly and becoming familiar the holes I usually pick 1 disc that works best for each hole and stick with it. That means some discs don't come out at all on certain courses but are "must have" for other loops.

I think we underestimate the number of discs used for "one shot" by many players (both top players and duffers like myself). That "one shot" definitely isn't on every course. Since McBeth was brought up as an example, he carries a Krait for rollers but certainly doesn't throw a roller on every course. Or a Champ Firebird for silly overstable hyzers that aren't on every course. Or a Gator for overstable/wind upshots. Or a Nova for lazer upshots. I think on a more typical long "gold" level course, McBeth uses atleast 3 different Destroyers (a really flippy one for backhands, a stable one for backhands and a crazy overstable one for forehand flexes).

Just because they carry 20, doesn't mean they throw more than 10. Watch several dozen tourney vids, Aim. Then report back.

I think this is pretty much true of everyone. I carry 16-22 depending on the course. This weekend at a 4 round, 4 course A tier I threw a total of 14, and that was with a lot of my utility discs getting used, which doesn't usually happen

I think this is pretty much true of everyone. I carry 16-22 depending on the course. This weekend at a 4 round, 4 course A tier I threw a total of 14, and that was with a lot of my utility discs getting used, which doesn't usually happen

I also played a 4 round, 4 course tournament last weekend and found that 12 discs and 9 molds were played on every course and 4 of them (Firebirds, Orc and Comet) are utility discs for me:

Star XCal (distance forehand shots)
Champ Orc (backhand hyzers and thumbers)
Star and GStar Firebirds (forehands and thumbers)
GStar Teebird (straight with fade backhand)
Icon Patriot (slight turn and no fade backhand)
10 Anny Buzzz and X Buzzz (backhands and forehand upshots)
X Comet (utility approach and understable backhands)
Proton Envy (stable backhands)
Zero Medium Pure x 2 (upshots, putts, tunnel drives)

The rest of my discs (Destroyers, Tern, Valks, Meteor and overstable/understable versions of my "base molds") are for specific types of shots or wind conditions. Certainly useful and necessary but not used on every course.

Always depends on the course and how I'm playing. I'm carrying 24 discs with 6 "core" molds and a few specialty discs.

On more open courses I might end up throwing Destroyers, Firebirds and Wizards pretty much the whole time and only use like 5 different discs. If I'm throwing well then that means I'm hitting my lines and usually throwing a few favorites off the tee, then a clear putt or upshot.

In leagues last week I threw every disc in the bag over one 18 hole round, at a course with lots of variety. When you aren't playing very well, you get into a lot of "specialty" situations.

I primarily play with 7 molds, 10 discs total:

Vibram Lace x 3 - Any Long Distance Drive
Vibram Trak - Fairway / shorter drives
Classic Roc - Utility disc / short midrange
Fuzion Evidence - Midrange for any line
Vibram Summit - Putting and hyzer flip driving putter
Gateway Voodoo - Approaches - any line
Vibram Sole (wind putter) - slightly overstable putter

Anything more than that complicates my game too much.

In a wooded course nearby, I only use my Classic Roc and Vibram Summit, all holes are less than 300 feet.

I think 11 drivers is too many, but that's because I don't really throw drivers. I usually play rounds with 8-10 discs in the bag. If we're talking collections? No max. I have more Gazelles than any of you (except maybe Eco), and that still isn't enough.

I'm not sure if the OP is asking how many is too many to carry or too many to have in life.

My tournament bag has 5 putters- 4 aviars and a zone, 4 midranges- 3 dx rocs and a mcpro roc, 5 fairways- 2 teebirds, 1 saint, and 2 firebirds, and 5 distance drivers Krait, Cannon, Destroyer, and 2 Terns. So thats... 19. Going shot by shot through my last rated round i threw 10 different discs off of the tee and used all 5 putters.

In life i own several hundred i would think. More than 100 are backups and practice putters ( i can fill a grip bag just with rocs or aviars if i want and i do want sometimes).

We play this game for the fun. So it only makes sense to carry however many discs it takes for the game to be fun for you. If you feel good about your game carrying 10 discs, 20 discs, or whatever... then more power to you! Enjoy yourself and don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong. In my experience though, these discs aren't as different as you might think and you can play solid, competitive golf with just a handful. I'm down to playing with 3 discs now and won the Advanced Masters division in a local B-tier a couple weeks ago.

I quit carrying a bag a few years back and started playing with 4 discs that I just carried in my hand. I did this in a quest for more fun. It worked great for more fun and it soon became obvious that this extreme minimilism actually improved my game. Sure, I'll use a bag when I play a course where there's a fair chance I might lose a disc, but I have proven to my own satisfaction that my game is stronger when I just use 3-4 discs. There are a number of factors why I think this works well for me, primarily because it forces me to pay attention to the shot in front of me instead of what disc should I use.

This approach to disc golfing probably isn't for everyone, but if you've ever thought you might do better with fewer discs; you might be surprised what you can do with just 3 or 4.

If you mirror this bag, you too can be a solid intermediate/advanced player :):clap:

More like if you mirror that bag, you too can have back problems. Mother of God that bag fits a lot of discs.

I carry around 13. Sometimes as many as 17 in my bag. If I use my cart that number can go up. I've given away to family and friends well over 50 discs and I still have over 250 around the house. 25 are hanging on the wall.

You technically only NEED 1 to play.

The Groove like every other disc has it's fans. Which discs of the ones you own are good? Simple, the ones you throw the most consistently the way you want them to fly. Which ones suck? Also simple. The ones you can't do what you want them to do.