• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs are too many?

I just recently started playing again after an 8 year hiatus. Maybe this only applies to us newer players, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I should throw fewer discs. For example, I only carry 2 midrange discs: Z hornet and Z buzzz. They both work for different shots. I've been tempted to buy a drone, roc, or even another buzzz, but at this point it's more beneficial to me to learn to throw what I have. After all, my bad throws are primarily due to "operator error," not throwing the wrong disc. After throwing only these two discs for midrange shots, I've noticed a major improvement in my midrange game.

As far as distance throws, I also feel like it's good to get comfortable with a certain set of discs. On the course, I almost always throw just a couple off the tee for distance shots (usually a Z nuke, glow destroyer, Z predator). When I'm practicing, on the other hand, it's nice to have some others simply so that I don't have to go retrieve my discs quite as often.

In short, I think it can be a problem having too many discs if you don't learn to throw them right. But maybe this only applies to us newer players...

^ The "learn fewer discs" approach is widely regarded as the best idea for beginners. But it's not a bad option for experienced players to go back to sometimes either. Everyone's different, and there's really no right or wrong way, as long as you're having fun.

I found that when I learned more skills I needed less discs. I can now manipulate the disc to my will rather than being forced to go where it wants to. That's why I like discs that are neutral flyers.

There is a legendary player here in the NW who shows up and wins tournaments with 3 or less discs.

I carry eight and can get by with less. During a typical round I usually throw only three.

the correct # is 17... 18 is too many, 16 too few :p

:|