• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how many people is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote it all you want. I'm telling you the reality of what's accepted in the field by PDGA officials and what they would support should a TD need to do the same. See the previous statement about extenuating circumstances when an official or marker is not available to go with a twosome.

Which just illustrates what a mickey mouse the supposedly "professional" disc golf association is.

No, I think it shows the flexibility to deliver what members want. Very few policies have ever been enforced without member acceptance. The PDGA mostly follows versus leads. Kind of reflects society and its willingness to follow rules where driving a bit above the speed limit is okay.

Back on topic, it's hard to say that 90 players on 18 holes is too many when tournaments are filling under those terms. I mean, I'd prefer foursomes, but obviously a lot of people are willing to play in fivesomes. Including, it appears, myself.

Which just illustrates what a mickey mouse the supposedly "professional" disc golf association is.

What exactly do you think the PDGA can/should do if some crazy situation means that a group of 2 happened? They have very little actual power, and would likely not even hear about that kind of thing.

We switched from 90 to 72 last year.
It has improved the overall flow at all the courses and we've gotten positive feedback from the players. Allows for a slightly longer lunch and we get awards done before dark.

Never, EVER, increase the number once pre reg has started(and/or filled). You have 72 players that paid for that size field and you will piss off a good number of them for changing up the field size.

A good TD makes the rules and STICKS to them.

This. I don't particularly like fivesomes, but if I'm excited about a particular event I will sign up even if it's going to be a full 90. But I hate when an event says capped at 72 and changes to 90 -- after I've made plans to attend and it would be harder to change my schedule.

It would be really nice if the PDGA would actually make 4-somes the maximum number of players for an event.

It really is the way a Professional event should be handled. I'm so sick of playing in 5-somes at B-tiers where I paid $90 to play. Half the time someone is talking or moving or in someones way. People walk off the tee after only 4 have teed. Etc. It's never good.
^ This! Fivesomes throw the whole ebb and flow off and is a safety issue. I don't mind temp holes added as much as the other options.

Earlewood Classic filled to 100 in about about 8 minutes a few years ago. The first 50 spots were opened up at noon, the other 50 at 7 p.m., to fit people's differing schedules.

I think the Beaver State Fling went even faster, or as fast with more spots.

Throw Down the Mountain might have, but DGU's servers crashed in the opening moments of registration.

as someone who registered for the vibram open wait list before at exactly midnight- and somehow was 35th because of website problems I feel there has to be a better solution than this.

Back on topic, it's hard to say that 90 players on 18 holes is too many when tournaments are filling under those terms. I mean, I'd prefer foursomes, but obviously a lot of people are willing to play in fivesomes. Including, it appears, myself.

almost all of us are willing, but this only serves the general trend of more PDGA events, more players with very little increase in quality or payouts(relative to entry fees).

if we as players want better events we need to make changes, and imo strict player caps are one of them. As a TD I've made the mistake before of letting in too many, and while everyone had a great time looking back on it, they would have had a better experience with 4 players to a hole not 5. I know how much I love going to a big event and having no backups even though its a full field, how much more enjoyable the round is without a 20-30min backup in the middle of it.

72 may be better, may be ideal,
but it's hard to say 90 is too many when so many players choose events with a 90-player cap.

Well, it may be too many for certain individual players, who will choose not to attend, but it's not too many for enough players that these events continue to fill.

"Better events" is also subjective. I think an event is better if there's more play, less delay. Which is why my event has a 72 cap. Others may think "bigger is better", even at the price of slower play.

I'm pretty sure you can still get a 20-30 minute backup even if you have 3somes. Its all about the course not having a backup hole and/or not having that one group that struggles.

Very true.

My personal distaste for fivesomes has less to do with long backups, and more with the general slow pace. I accept that tournament play is slow....but 5 people in a group makes playing each hole noticeably slower than 4. And that contributes to longer rounds, even without major backups.

On most courses I run events on, the difference between four-somes and five-somes is about 90 seconds per hole. That adds up to close to 30 minutes for an 18 hole round.

I would agree that at NT event and major's foursomes should be required. AT most a-tiers and some b-tiers on exceptionally hard courses probly should be "advised", maybe required. But, if we want to grow our sport we should be trying to get as many people to play c-tiers as possible. Slow round times are gonna happen at tournaments regardless off 4somes or 5somes. I think to many people are just used to playing alone or in small groups on half empty courses.

This (player group size) could be an area where an event director could use market stratification to their promotional advantage.

An event director could make a strong brand of always running foursomes or less. Use it to promotional advantage and build a quality centered, service centered operational model.

If you mean it, and you think people will like it - sell it that way! (I'd like to see more events sold on service and golf than goods and invest/return commodities)

is there any PDGA rule that says that everyone has to enter the same way so everyone has the same chance? I've seen many examples that there are a certain group of people that just are automatically put on the list because they are friends of the TD or something...and I'm not talking about touring pros.

It is amazing what you can find out by simply reading the current PDGA Rulebook and Competition Manual.

This is the second paragraph in the Competition Manual.

A. Pre-registration is required for PDGA Major & Elite Series/National Tour events and strongly suggested for all other tier events.

B. A player is not officially "entered" in the event until their entry fee is received at the tournament address.

C. All openings in the field of play will be filled on a first come-first serve basis, until the allocated places have been filled.

D. The order of entries received will be according to the postmark of the package containing the entry fee payment.

E. Entries received via an on-line entry method shall be date and time-stamped based on the actual time the entry fee is received at the on-line entry point.

F. In the event that multiple entries are received simultaneously, the player with the lowest PDGA number shall have priority.

G. Posting of the pre-registration list on pdga.com is required for Major & Elite Series/National Tour events and A-Tier events and strongly suggested for all tier events.

Status
Not open for further replies.