• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much do wind rounds impact your scoring?

I love playing in the wind. I learned the game in Nebraska, where 15-20 mph is an average wind day. Now I rarely play in the wind, but when I do I see my playing partners' scores inflate by around 9-10 strokes, while my score only goes up by maybe 1-2 strokes.

Once you know how to play in the wind, the key is being happy with laying up for pars. I do lose a couple strokes, typically on the easier holes, where I'd usually expect to birdie but in the wind need to be content with a tap-in 3. Guys that still play aggressive because "it's a birdie hole" end up getting impacted a lot more.

Also, give me 20mph straightline winds any day over 5mph swirling winds. That light swirling stuff is what really messes with me, because it's not strong enough to feel the wind direction and the effect on the disc is unpredictable.

I love playing in the wind. I learned the game in Nebraska, where 15-20 mph is an average wind day. Now I rarely play in the wind, but when I do I see my playing partners' scores inflate by around 9-10 strokes, while my score only goes up by maybe 1-2 strokes.

Once you know how to play in the wind, the key is being happy with laying up for pars. I do lose a couple strokes, typically on the easier holes, where I'd usually expect to birdie but in the wind need to be content with a tap-in 3. Guys that still play aggressive because "it's a birdie hole" end up getting impacted a lot more.

Also, give me 20mph straightline winds any day over 5mph swirling winds. That light swirling stuff is what really messes with me, because it's not strong enough to feel the wind direction and the effect on the disc is unpredictable.

Maybe it is because I've only played those courses in the wind or maybe it is because wind is different in mountains and valleys, but I don't recall ever even thinking of wind playing in Nebraska. It seems to demand a lot more of my attention when it is windy here in TN.

this reminds me, i still want wind factored into round ratings here. somebody back me up there, it doesn't appear jeverett will change it for just me.
a strong wind 14mph+ is going to add at least 4 strokes to my game (18holes).
how wooded the course is (sheltered) will factor into how much the wind is going to affect disc flights, but that would be reflected in your choice of strong vs moderate wind(dgcr scorebook).

Last edited:
Maybe it is because I've only played those courses in the wind or maybe it is because wind is different in mountains and valleys, but I don't recall ever even thinking of wind playing in Nebraska. It seems to demand a lot more of my attention when it is windy here in TN.

Did you play early morning or late evening rounds while in Nebraska? Typically those are the calm times of the day. Late morning through dinnertime is pretty consistently windy. Hence why Nebraskans always talk about wind chill in the winter (which is 100% the reason why Nebraska winters are brutal).

The data indicates that Nebraska is significantly windier than Tennessee:
http://www.usa.com/rank/nebraska-state--average-wind-speed--city-rank.htm
http://www.usa.com/rank/tennessee-state--average-wind-speed--county-rank.htm

I don't know, man. Maybe you've just had great luck with weather on your trips to Nebraska! Be thankful you didn't play on the days where putts fly backwards. :)

I will have to say that dealing with a constant wind coming from a consistent direction isn't unmanageable to deal with and doesn't have a huge impact on my scores.

Those gusty winds that come and go and especially the swirling ones that are always switching directions throughout a round are brutal.

Did you play early morning or late evening rounds while in Nebraska? Typically those are the calm times of the day. Late morning through dinnertime is pretty consistently windy. Hence why Nebraskans always talk about wind chill in the winter (which is 100% the reason why Nebraska winters are brutal).

The data indicates that Nebraska is significantly windier than Tennessee:
http://www.usa.com/rank/nebraska-state--average-wind-speed--city-rank.htm
http://www.usa.com/rank/tennessee-state--average-wind-speed--county-rank.htm

I don't know, man. Maybe you've just had great luck with weather on your trips to Nebraska! Be thankful you didn't play on the days where putts fly backwards. :)

I've spent 2 weeks a year there for the last 13 years, so I'm definitely familiar with the wind.

And yeah, it generally isn't very windy in Tennessee at all, especially in east Tennessee.

In my area I would say we get 3-5 high wind days per summer (+25 mph) and I try to get out every time. I love the wind.
There are quite a few players in my area who just won't play in the wind.
As to the original question: How much do wind rounds impact your scoring? I mainly play a 27 hole course and I would say at least 5 strokes per round, probably closer to 10. :thmbdown:

I've spent 2 weeks a year there for the last 13 years, so I'm definitely familiar with the wind.

And yeah, it generally isn't very windy in Tennessee at all, especially in east Tennessee.

I don't know what to tell you then. If you don't consider Nebraska windy, then nothing is. It's literally the windiest state in the US.

"The top 5 windiest states are: Nebraska (1), Kansas (2), South Dakota (3), North Dakota (4), and Iowa (5)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ates-and-cities-what-is-d-c-s-windiest-month/

I don't know what to tell you then. If you don't consider Nebraska windy, then nothing is. It's literally the windiest state in the US.

"The top 5 windiest states are: Nebraska (1), Kansas (2), South Dakota (3), North Dakota (4), and Iowa (5)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ates-and-cities-what-is-d-c-s-windiest-month/

There seems to be some kind of miscommunication.

I didn't say it wasn't windy. It is maddeningly windy. When I go there and play disc golf, the wind beats on me and sometimes my shots are short or long or left or right. And I don't make a ton of putts. But I don't really think about the wind.

When I play my regular home courses in the wind, I seem to really labor over every disc choice, shot choice, line choice, missed putt, etc.

I wonder if the effect on wind isn't greater, on courses the players play often?

If you've got a hole dialed in, same disc, same throw every day, wind throws you off your game. For someone not so familiar with the course, it's just one more consideration.

Can't escape the wind in Oklahoma. 4-5 strokes sounds about right in 15-25 mph sustained wind, more if I'm stupid.

I doubt the validity of anything posted from your source.

Wyoming not making the top five is ridiculous.

Other sources show Alaska #1, Wyoming #2, Michigan #3, Montana #4, and Nebraska #5.

Wind affects the short game/scoring a lot more than driving. Anything under 20mph isn't terrible, couple strokes maybe. Once it gets over 20mph is when the strokes start sky rocketing.

I would agree with this. I played a tourney that had 15-20 mph winds the first round, 30-40 mph the second and calm for the third. I shot 64-72-62. Laying up multiple 20' putts adds up fast.

I doubt the validity of anything posted from your source.

Wyoming not making the top five is ridiculous.

Other sources show Alaska #1, Wyoming #2, Michigan #3, Montana #4, and Nebraska #5.

I-80 through southern Wyoming is incredibly windy. Definitely more so than Nebraska. But the entire northwestern quadrant of Wyoming has very little wind at all. Perhaps that's why they didn't make the top 5? Probably just depends on how you calculate "windiest," whether you take just like the top 10 windiest cities per state, or include all cities in the data. Wyoming's ranking would be massively impacted by what all data is included in the calculation. Places like Nebraska and Kansas are windy in every square inch of the state, whereas Moose, WY is calm while Sinclair, WY will knock you over.

I've spent far less time in Alaska, but my small sample size is similar to the Wyoming issue. I know there are some massively windy places in Alaska, but the handful of coastal towns I visited were all very calm.

I do find your comment about doubting the validity of the Washington Post as a source to be pretty funny. 60+ Pulitzer Prizes just ain't enough anymore. :D

And just to clarify, I wasn't saying Nebraska isn't a windy place. I was just surprised to see Wyoming not make the top 5.

Well hate to interrupt the spat haha...

Around these parts we don't see much wind, I use flippyish drivers and rarely pack anything real stable tesla is about the beefier I think it's like 9 4 -.5 2.. I get my ass kicked at foreign courses where there's wind. I'd say at least 6+ strokes.

Played the provincials in Gale force winds two years ago, it was a round ruined. I don't think I could have played worse probably dropped 10-15 strokes on the open course (18 holes) and maybe 6 in the woods (27 holes)

And just to clarify, I wasn't saying Nebraska isn't a windy place. I was just surprised to see Wyoming not make the top 5.

But he made a good point that one could estimate wind based on different criteria and get different results.

Here's a map they use for wind turbines.

Attachments

• wind_power_potential_usa_map.jpg
    wind_power_potential_usa_map.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25
I'd rather play in the wind, as I read the direction well and throw hard enough that headwinds just kill my distance, and not much else. Worse case I just throw a Stego or a Tilt all round because why not?

Here on the Gulf Coast we usually have a South Easterly wind (coming off of the Gulf). It ranges between 5 to 25 mph on any given day. When the wind switches to North Westerly (coming down from Tennesee/Georgia) is when it really messes with my game. Usually adds 4 to 8 strokes.

I learned to throw in a South Easterly wind, so I am better able to account for it. I actually prefer a 5-10 mph crossing headwind. I am able to throw US discs and just adjust my line to allow the disc to turnover and stretch my distance significantly.