• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how old is to old for a putter

I love having a beat to hell putter in the bag. If you start with a nice stable putter like a bb aviar or wizard, a really beat one will have a nice amount of turn without getting squirrelly. Lots of older players have putters in their bags that have been used for a decade, it's pretty hard to beat a putter so much that it's unusable.

I have seen such putters. Generally speaking they don't beat in too much that you can't at least putt with them. As fart as driving with them thats another story. Drivers on the other hand, once they get too beat, they are too understable to do much good other then rollers.

I have a beat to hell jk aviar, it still is very useful. I just switched over to magics a few months ago, I could see a beat up magic being kinda squirrely...

I have one myself... but it spent most of it's life as a lightly used disc.

It's getting a workout now. We'll see how long it lasts. I predict at least twenty years.

I have been using the same Soft Maget for a year now. Its pretty beat in, but it still flies perfect and feels great in the hand, so I am going to keep throwing it. I have two more excatly like it, same feel and all, so then it gets too uncontrolable, its going on the wall, and I will pull the next one out to replace it.

Our state coordinator has an old JK that can be folded in quarters in put in his back pocket.

I just switched over to magics a few months ago, I could see a beat up magic being kinda squirrely...

I have a couple of old, beat Evo Magics with a very flat plate.
Not squirrely at all. I expect to use them for a long time.
I don't know about the regular soft Magics, though. I bet they could get squirrely in time.

I have an old Hands on Putter I got back in '92. While I putt with it more often than anything else, it is no longer my 'go to' putter (I recently started putting with a Star Mako). If I'm in a tight situation and need a nice back hand turnover, the putter is the only thing I would consider throwing.

As long as it's still somewhat in tact it's good to go IMO.

The only 1000+ rated player from my area uses an old Chains Aviar that looks as if it has been beaten with a hammer for a week straight.

until it cracks or has holes

I throw what nicknamed "beat to s*** yellow putter", which is a yellow 173 pro d magnet that is too warped to sit flat on any surface, and no longer has the same lip as a normal magnet (it's essentially round now).

I still throw it for straight or turnover upshots up to 200 feet and I use it for big anhyzers up to about 280...

Latest posts