• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How pros get/choose discs?

Ummm. Who cares what stamps are on pro's discs. OP, did you k ow there is a process knkwn as "hot stamping" where you, Mcbeth, myself or anyone can have almost any disc with whatever we want on it? Also disc dyeing is a thing that nets that same result.

Personally, I'm a bit jealous.
This mixed hot stamp thing would be totally a rush.
Disclaimer: I'm a disc junkie.
The possibilities are endless.
How bout a Firebird stamp on an Aviar?
Or a Gator stamp on a Wedge?
Or some DX stamps on Star and Champ?
Phew, gimme a moment......

Last edited:
That might work in the short term, but how pissed will those noobs and fanbois be once they've acquired a bit of skill and still can't throw their Aviar stamped Aviars even half as far as McBeth is throwing his Aviar stamped Destroyers? Or worse yet, realize they were duped and swear off McBeth and Innova forever because of it. I don't see it as a winning sales formula in the long run.

Yeah, because disc golfers are so stupid that, as they get into disc golf and get better they won't ever come across mis-stamped discs and realize what's going on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Disc companies definitely shouldn't give out blanks or special/custom stamps either to their proz.

How are noobs supposed to know what the Proz are throwing when they watch the newest vidz?

Yeah. I mean, it's not like commentators ever TELL you what discs the Proz are throwing.

Yeah. I mean, it's not like commentators ever TELL you what discs the Proz are throwing.

... and that one would be able to see the stamp on the videos.

But at least, Aviars and Destroyers have rims so different that even a noobie will be able to realize that something's fishy.

Funny story.
I once played with a guy, who was not a noobie (playing for over 20 years), he just didn't pay attention to all the videos or the hubub of miss stamped discs.

He throws a nice drive.
I asked him what he threw?
He said, an F2
Oh, a Prodigy.
He said, no, Innova
I Said, Innova doesn't make an F2
We get up to his drive, I pick up the disc and by the initials say, It's a Leopard3, the F2 is the Factory second stamp.
He proceeds to argue with me that it's an F2!
I take my Leopard out and show it to him, rim size, initials and all, but he'll have none of it!
It's says F2, so that's what it is!
Not worth arguing about, I dropped it and we played the rest of the round.

Some folks you just can't reach.

Personally, I'm a bit jealous.
This mixed hot stamp thing would be totally a rush.
Disclaimer: I'm a disc junkie.
The possibilities are endless.
How bout a Firebird stamp on an Aviar?
Or a Gator stamp on a Wedge?
Or some DX stamps on Star and Champ?
Phew, gimme a moment......

Bingo.

If you watch In the Bag videos you'll notice that many times pros get their discs from...other pros. Avery Jenkins seems to be a frequent supplier.

MVP's players order theirs directly, and get them shipped out. I assume those in MI probably visit the warehouse too.

I don't get the point of the misleading stamps. If I'm Innova why let Paul throw a leopard stamped firebird? People see that and go wow I need a leopard and end up ticked off because it doesn't fly like they saw in the videos.

Probably because it adds a level of mystique. Everyone knows what Paul throws are Destroyers, even though they have Aviar stamps.

He paid his dues. I bet Innova is willing to let him throw any (Innova) disc he wants regardless of how its stamped.

Besides, the fact that Paul throws certain molds probably helps Innova sell the hell out of them. That's why in tournaments they always announce what disc he throws on every shot.

If you watch In the Bag videos you'll notice that many times pros get their discs from...other pros. Avery Jenkins seems to be a frequent supplier.

MVP's players order theirs directly, and get them shipped out. I assume those in MI probably visit the warehouse too.

This is true. Many pros throw hand-me-down discs from other pros. Many of the discs are tourny stamped. Most pros don't even seem to throw regular stamped discs.

Yeah, because disc golfers are so stupid that, as they get into disc golf and get better they won't ever come across mis-stamped discs and realize what's going on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Um... Have you talked to many disc golfers at a local course?

"Oh my red one does the S move perfectly but cant throw the blue one at all i need another red disc!"

We know muuuch more around here vs average players.

I found a Firebird with a Condor stamp about 18 years ago. It was Sam Ferrans'. I called him and he told me to keep it. I used to blow people's minds with that disc until I left it on the ground somewhere. Never saw it again. snif snif

I found a Firebird with a Condor stamp about 18 years ago. It was Sam Ferrans'. I called him and he told me to keep it. I used to blow people's minds with that disc until I left it on the ground somewhere. Never saw it again. snif snif

What's the opposite of a nice? Losing a Sam Ferrans' Condor stamped Firebird is a not-nice.

Um... Have you talked to many disc golfers at a local course?

"Oh my red one does the S move perfectly but cant throw the blue one at all i need another red disc!"

We know muuuch more around here vs average players.

After color they then notice which one is heavier. Sometimes they need a heavier one for the wind, the 171 doesn't cut it.

They don't want noobs throwing what the pros throw guys. That would plummet groove sales, which is 56% of Innova's total revenue.