• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to fix cuts and scratches on disc

On the edges you can do some light sanding but that is about it without making the disc illegal.

Here is what the rule book says

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play

A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

As long as you don't use them during a tournament it is fine, though still technically still against the rules. If someone can look at the disc and say "What the h*ll did you do to this thing" then I probably wouldn't use it but otherwise there really is no problem.

As long as you don't use them during a tournament it is fine, though still technically still against the rules. If someone can look at the disc and say "What the h*ll did you do to this thing" then I probably wouldn't use it but otherwise there really is no problem.
Well the major thing was a thin piece was hanging and I burned it off.

What about this:

I had a friend who moved to AZ for a bit. He left a soft magnet in his trunk, and when he moved back to MN, we found that there are two HUGE spots where the rim/plate dip in very steep. He likes putting his thumbs in the grooves that it left- and I basically am talking like ridiculously huge valleys you can put your thumb in. He didn't do this on purpose...legal?

What about this:

I had a friend who moved to AZ for a bit. He left a soft magnet in his trunk, and when he moved back to MN, we found that there are two HUGE spots where the rim/plate dip in very steep. He likes putting his thumbs in the grooves that it left- and I basically am talking like ridiculously huge valleys you can put your thumb in. He didn't do this on purpose...legal?

Very good question, I'm using a plain ol' dx aviar atm and over time the top has begun to sag and now its really concave which makes it nice for my thumb to rest on. I was wondering if its still legal.

I believe as long as it is natural you are fine. I know I have seem some pros with some really beat in putters that have all types of shapes on them.

If you really want to know for sure post a separate thread that Chuck can easily see.

Beat discs fly better.
No one will call you for taking a lighter to a spot- the entire rim...yes.
As long as there's not a hole in the flight plate and the disc is in one semi-solid piece- you're good.

You guys really need to play with some old guys and see that not everyone has brand new shiney discs.

still wouldn't recommend taking a flame to a disc. Heck just take a sanding block to it, youll hard be able to tell.

I've been known to use my pocket knife to clip off slivers when they happen or to smooth larger "tree love". never thought twice about it, the amount I remove is so negligible. Champ and z plastic is the worst for barbs and slivers, I don't get many of the large bumps since I don't throw much D plastic

The absolute best way to fix major dings and nicks are hot knives....

All it will leave is a little burn mark (which can be taken off with "goo gone"). I've fixed discs with a gauge right through the rim, fully. And now you wouldn't even know it happened....

Small stuff I just leave, but major nicks and chunks get worked out real well with a hot knife...

I used to repair discs all the time. If there was a nick or scratch or cut, I'd sand it out, or melt it or cut it.
However, after reading the forums about the flight of "beat" discs, i quit repairing - cold turkey.
I prefer discs that are beat-in.
In fact, I buy beat-in discs in the Marketplace so I don't have to beat them in.
They fly better, my game is better.
Watching pros play, you wouldn't think that they are given dozens of new discs every year. Their bags are full of old, beaters that look like they'll crack and fall apart on the next impact.
Take it from the pros if you don't believe me, beat discs fly better.

Edit: I will still repair slivers and hangnails on discs, but everything else I leave alone

I'm with most on just leaving the disc alone. Slivers and hangnails come off if they affect my release otherwise I don't even mess with those. Deep scratches just stay deep scratches.

My wife has a Banshee that got impailed on a cigar sized branch. When she pulled the branch out the plastic was still there, just bent back like a little flap. It folded back down and snapped right back into place in the hole. She still uses it and has had no problems with it.

I dont fix any of my discs. I've only fixed others...

The first one I did I got from a friend. He threw a Glo sidewinder into a T bar that holds up a small tree, his first shot with it. Got pissed as it was cracked right through the rim and tossed it in the trash lol. So I grabbed it and the only way that fixed it was a hot knife. I threw that thing for the next three years, free disc!

^^^lol nice

I will melt the slivers back to the disc, to prevent losing weight over time.
Also if there is a cut into the rim, I will melt that back together also.