• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how to get work days participants

Best principles: (echoing most of whats been written)

-Set dates, times, "point of contact" person for work efforts
-hold them regularly (many but short and defined)
-follow through and be sure to be there those times you've comitted to.
-keep the mood positive during the work
-don't talk about whos not there during the work
-accept help from the helpful, but don't try to "buy" your help too much
-take photos during the work and post them/tack em up somewhere

and, when one of the core 6-8 helpers gets frazzled and the rest of the usual crew senses they are about to go on a rampage on your local forum, club board - with a rant... stop them if you can - tell them to take the next project or two off - say... "we've got it covered"

Fist shaking at the ingrateful seems not to work out surprisingly.

If possible, schedule different workdates for different days. If they're all scheduled for Saturday mornings, you might be missing out on potential helpers who are never available at that time.

I suggest be thankful for the 6-8

Players are just that, players

This.

From experience, free food, or at least beverages is a given for any work party, not an incentive.

People who just like to play recreationally would need alot more reasons to turn up.

6-8 people, with proper tools, who can understand basic direction, is far better a crowd of giggling idiots cutting thier limbs off.

We usually get the work done with half that number.

Zach,
Now I hope you see why I told you guys "Do not install the baskets untill the course is completed." Make those guys who don't want to help out sweat it out till your done and if they keep whining about it tell them the more people come and help the faster it gets done. It worked on getting the crew for redoing the pads at Vets and it'll work at Jacobson. Oh and again Do not install the baskets till its all done.
Your pal Drew the guy who designed Jacobson

PS again sorry I moved and left you guys to build the course. Well now you know what I went through with Riney, Vets, Shilly etc.

Lmao... I have guys asking me all the time, mostly advanced players for some reason, when will the course be done? I just keep telling them maybe a month, maybe a year... just depends how many people show up to help. Then, I give them the date of the next work day.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Hope and pray (if you believe that stuff works)

Succumb to the fact that 5% of the DG population will do 95% of the work.

Try to not get bent out of shape that people were scarce (like ice cream in hell scarce) on workdays, but hundreds showed up as soon as baskets were in the ground (even if nothing else was ready for play).

Hope and pray (if you believe that stuff works)

Succumb to the fact that 5% of the DG population will do 95% of the work.

Try to not get bent out of shape that people were scarce (like ice cream in hell scarce) on workdays, but hundreds showed up as soon as baskets were in the ground (even if nothing else was ready for play).

5% ?

You're being mighty generous with your estimate there.

Every day--work day

While we building the Plantation Ruins course (probably the most labor intensive course we've ever built--I estimate that each hole required almost 90 man-hours per hole to get them in a playable condition) in Charlotte, I had the opportunity (as a retired old phart) to work almost every day and posted (on Charlotte's discussion board) when I would be there (it varied--morning, lunch, evening). Too many days of solo work but every so often I had company. 2 of us working 2 hours was like me doing 5 hours of solo; 3 sets of hands working 2 hours was like me doing 9 hours. The course building was a tortoise crawl. We never had more than 6 or 7 sets of hands (out of a 140+ member club) to help clear the course--and that usually set off Stan to start singing about each of us! However when our concrete tee pour was scheduled, we had almost 30. They come out when they can really taste playing the course!

Deadlines spur action.

When our recent local course was going in, the local club told people that if the work was not done by a certain date, the city would not let us have the course. I'm not sure if it was true, but it definitely got people off their asses and out to help.

Not sure if you have this kind of luxury, but a little deadline pressure never hurt anyone. If they fear a course might not be done because they couldn't pitch in a few hours, you'll be surprised how many come out.

Tom, we played Plantation Ruins when it was still pretty rough, well before Worlds. Knowing what goes into building a course, and seeing those tangles of vines that some fairways were cut through, I was exhausted in empathy.

For me notice of activity is the most important aspect of my involvement. I will gladly help out and dig, cut, climb, move, loan out my truck, haul... if I know enough in advance, but with family and work I can't be told on a Sunday doubles round that something is suddenly happening the next Saturday.

That being said, an ice cold beverage after the work is done is always appreciated.

Make it clear that if people can only make it for part of the work day, they are still welcome. It would be a real shame to lose someone for the whole day because the first or last half hours don't work.

If you have jobs that people can do unsupervised, let them know that they can get an independent project if they can't make the work day but still want to help out.

Are there any schools, churches, or scout groups nearby? Reaching out to them might be worth a try, especially if you volunteer to lend discs and run a free lesson for them once the course is done. As someone who has taught leadership classes in schools and led church youth groups, I am always excited to hear about an easy service project to take kids to (easy meaning I just need to show up with kids instead of organising something, NOT meaning that kids don't get sweaty).

The scouts have been awesome in helping us out. They actually helped us clear 2 really tough holes... and they will be building our kiosk. Im really impressed with their work and effort. Looks like our work "party" for saturday is shaping up :) Might see if we can get some breakfast out there for everyone.

I seem to get more done when i go work by myself. Of course certain things like using heavy equipment and chainsaws should be done when others are around for safety reasons. It feels more rewarding that way also.

Hopefully workdays are not full out course construction events. The days are gone where you have to pimp out your friends to get a course installed. Parks recognize the value of a disc golf course in there park and are willing to pay for hardware, for initital clearing, and for maintenance.

With workdays, I think everyone has a similar story. Not enough help.

I am not a big fan of making paticipants expect like they should be paid - merchandise, free beer, etc. I would rather hold out on a basket installation until the work is done as thier reward. Make that the prize. Yah its ok to have coffee, donuts, drinks, or hot dogs afterwards but not an incentive to help.

Focus workdays on specific tasks that can be completed in a couple of hours so when they leave they can see results and feel good about it. Have tasks defined and advertised on fliers or postings. Work in small teams to accomplish. Maybe someone who can not make event but sees the sign will volunteer for a task on another day.

Yes I have experienced three people workdays!

...I can't be told on a Sunday doubles round that something is suddenly happening the next Saturday.

That being said, an ice cold beverage after the work is done is always appreciated.

Wuss.
I showed up to play Sunday doubles at Lakeside/Saratoga, only to find out it was a scheduled Sky Pilots' work party.:\ For 4 hours I tore out invasive vegetation, moved two tee pads[pavers], and helped install a new elevated basket.:clap:
Then had a gutfull of their beer and pizza, and played probably the most fun doubles round I've ever played. DFL'ed, too, and didn't even care.:hfive:

maybe the old bait and switch
come on out for doubles, then when everyone shows up, you say todays' round is going to be a little different
then you hand out the clippers and shovels

Latest posts