• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to throw an Aerobie Epic overhead

Steepest learning curve of any golf disc ever. If overhead shots are that important to you, go for it.

Seriously, if you will practice putting instead of learning the Jedi moves of the Epic, you will be a MUCH better player. <----- this will now be my new signature!

everyone plays this game for various reasons. not everyone plays to post the lowest score. i spend a lot of time practicing my drives and as a result my putting has suffered. but to be honest i dont really care because watching my drivers cruise out to 400 on a line less than ten feet above the ground gives me a great deal of joy. i might post the same score as a guy who maxs out at 300 but im still having fun. maybe the original poster is intrigued by the flight of the epic and wants to learn how to throw it.

The reason why I want to learn how to throw an epic overhead is because I have a baseball background and can throw a XXX Tomahawk average 300' and maxing out at 330' with pinpoint accuracy. So I thought that if I can throw an epic farther it would give me a huge strategic advantage.

I just went out and threw it today and the disc did what I wanted it to it will flip over and flips over again but it does not have very much glide after the second flip. I think I will just keep it in my trunk and maybe throw it once a week in a round or throw it with some buddies before an ultimate game.

I know a dude that throws it backhand for pinpoint accuracy, and is right on with it. however, I could never and most I hear they suck. A pulse D max weight is best thumbed disc I have ever seen used

i've owned 2 epics in 3 years and they can be a great disc, if you know how to use it. No, i'm not carrying one in my bag at the moment, but there is a reason for that, and it's not because the disc sucks, it's because the courses i've been playing lately don't have any "epic" holes that i would really have an advantage on...the only time i would throw this disc is for a high risk/reward shot, bc lets be honest if you decide to throw an epic it's gonna be high risk lol...for example one of my old home courses had a hole that was impossible to reach in 2 UNLESS you went over the top, nearly straight up, of several VERY BIG trees, then went about 300' out. i would go over the top, and birdie several times when everyone else would have to fight through the woods for their 3-4+..and even if my drive didn't work out right the worst possible scenario was that i would be throwing from where everyone else was at....sorry for the long story, but the only way i can justify the epic being a good disc is by giving this example, bc as others have said, its inconsistent and very unpredictable(no matter how well you know how to use it), but there are advantages to this disc, you just have to know the time and place to use it

now i throw a thumber in the 360's, with pin point accuracy, and can/have thrown an epic in the high 400's to low 500' range

Rule # 1: ONLY, ONLY, ONLY throw it into a headwind if you want optimal results, the sronger the wind the better it flies..at least to an extent i have had it do double barrell rolls and still fly, but you really have to chunk it and the wind has to be pretty hard.... tailwind = SUCK

Rule # 2: the higher you throw it, the better!! i've found a 60-70 degree angle works best for max d

Rule # 3: know how to tune it, and tune it before EVERY throw...after lots of tinkering you will notice how much is the right amount of "tuning" you just have to figure this one out for yourself. just remember if its hyzering too much after the barrell roll, bend the wings down(makes it more understable), if it's turning over too much bend them up(overstable) when "tuning" i grab the thick end in one hand and the narrow end in the other, ust to know that i consistently bend it the same way.

Rule # 4:Release angles. personally i've found if i hold the disc on a 45 degree angle i get optimal results...if you throw overhand shots allready then you know by now how the angle of your release affects the shot. but in case if you don't, if you throw with the disc straight up and down it will flip later and be more overstable, the more of an angle you put on it the faster it will flip and the more understable it will be.

man just play in a field with it for a while and you'll get the feel of it..it's a very unique disc, and can do some pretty cool things once you figure it out...one thing that helped me was me and a bud went to a field and threw to each other, maximum amt of throws in min time. good luck

*note i throw soley thumbers for overhand shots, so some of this advice might be a little off for tomahawks

Thanks for the advice really do appreciate it. Which circle on the bottom do you grip it from.

Thanks for the advice really do appreciate it. Which circle on the bottom do you grip it from.

well, i had to go look, i forgot there was circles on the inside lol...there's 2 on the big side and 3 on the little sidem and i grab it from the middle one on the little side...which looks like its the smallest part of the rim, honestly i'm not sure what differences it would make to hold it at the other points, i just know it always felt "right" when i gripped it at the middle one

I do not know if it makes a difference but I read somewhere that one circle is for the true center, one was for thumbers and one was for tomahawks but I can't find that page now that I bought the thing.

Epic Info

This disc is definitely NOT for everyone. If you have a killer overhand then you should consider trying this disc out. When I started discing, I had a terrible back hand (its developed since but my overhand is my bread and butter). I have a natural toss for overhand shots from playing baseball for so long. My thumber shots are very accurate and I have several aces with thumb shots, and tend to score well so I will continue to overhand until my shoulder falls off. That said Id like to talk about this Epic disc for a minute.

The only way to throw this Epic disc is with a TON of power, if you dont have a good strong overhand toss, dont waste your $$.

I put my thumb inside the rim at the spot where the disc to rim is thinnest. Basically lined up with the writing on the face. I like to release my shot at a 60-70 degree angle and really get it high up in the air so it has a chance to barrel. If done correctly, the disc will roll high in the air and end up turning left at the end. With good power on an open hole I can count on the disc to go anywhere from 400-450ft depending on wind and other factors.

I have never tuned the disc, but will start to experiment because it has been wanting to fade right at the end of the shot instead of the normal left that im use to. Update: I tuned the disc by folding it into the rim and the disc now goes right to left like I want it to.

Overall this disc is used for 1-2 shots a round, sometimes none, just depends on the course and hole. Grab one and test it out, get comfortable with it and use it to lower your score!

I have never tuned the disc, but will start to experiment because it has been wanting to fade right at the end of the shot instead of the normal left that im use to. Update: I tuned the disc by folding it into the rim and the disc now goes right to left like I want it to

I had an Epic that I gave to my buddy that recently started throwing a ton of overhands. Usually on 2nd drives just for the lulz. And boy does that disc deliver the lulz.

If he tunes it, he can get it to fully barrel roll twice, nearly 3 times, when crushing it off a top of the world shot.

I've also seen a few where it just seems to work perfectly that it barrels once, then flies just dead straight the rest of way and just goes forever.

Grab one and test it out, get comfortable with it and use it to lower your score!

Yeah no, I prefer to keep my 59 year old rotator cuff intact. I'm good for about 2 thumbers a round, and I don't throw them for distance.

Never seen an Epic in the wild.

The first year I played I threw almost all overhead shots and tried an epic for a while. It was definitely boom or bust. 450 mild right fade one shot and triple barrel roll into no mans land on the next. Ended up using an Ape a lot because it would go nearly as far and more accurately.

Now I don't throw OH for distance anymore, can still flip one out there 350+ but it hurts to do it often.

Yeah no, I prefer to keep my 59 year old rotator cuff intact. I'm good for about 2 thumbers a round, and I don't throw them for distance.

Never seen an Epic in the wild.

i saw one out in the wild

person kept score with me except on the wooded holes

out in the open they were a sniper with it

it was slightly humorous to see someone do so well with just an epic and a putter