• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

Looking at the Top 10 list, we still have the issue of apples to oranges in the form of golds to blues. Flip, Blueberry, BRP and Deer Lakes are blue level courses. FlyBoy, Hornings, Idlewild and HB Gold are gold level courses. I don't know the other two. I listed them in descending order as they are rated so far within their blue or gold category. My order for the four courses in each category wouldn't be the same but I also wouldn't have them merged on the same list either if I had my druthers.

This! Though it isn't a reasonable expectation to categories all the courses to the skill level they best cater too. Many course have the same issue with two sets of tees. Again I think it is impossible to do, but the courses should be rated according to what skill level they were designed for.

I often see complaints about tee pads being to short or too narrow. No distances or tee signs. Once you are off the tee you don't have the luxury of distances or proper footing. That sort of stuff has no actual bearing on whether a course is good or not. And bag holders? Does anyone really want to lift their bag up and hang it on every hole? Just not important.

My only issue ever with tees is if they are dangerous. For instance, if they are gravel surrounded by logs forming a 5x8 rectangle, where the logs stick up 4" above the gravel, combined with a decent drop after the tee, I'll knock a course for tees like that. Nearly any throw with only a small amount of follow through could get you hurt on a tee like that.

amenities can add to a rating but never are they neccesary
Amenities is anything that is not "design" if you only use two categories of rating elements. So I'd say they are needed. Hard to imagine a 5 disc course with a 5-disc design and 0 for amenties (no signs, tee pads, benches, maintenance).

As the OP indicated, a course should have everything to meet the 5 disc standard. Normal accessibility is a basic element of that which is in the Amenities category. A design might be a 5 (even though it's not yet at FlyBoy) but the lack of some amenities moves it down from a 5.

I acknowledge your opinion and appreciate it, but I don't agree with it. That is all I'm saying. Access isn't much of an issue for me in ratings. Neither are amenities. When I go to play disc golf, I'm there to throw plastic. I don't need a trashcan, bench, tee sign, concrete tee, or a Gateway Titan basket to throw a piece of plastic at a target. I understand that some people need all of these things and more, and that's cool. I just don't need bathrooms or nearby restaurants to play disc golf. I don't need a water fountain or a playground. I can see why all of these things can be valuable information to know about, and that's why I like to see them listed in the "other thoughts" part of the review.

I'm really fond of absolutely rough and difficult course with trees in the fairway. Uneven rough tees and no signage. Super courses that go from one tee to the next hole's basket. I don't throw far. I use skill and accuracy. The courses I like are often rated poorly. Fancy, pretty, easy to score courses get good ratings. I guess i'm a contrarian.

I often see complaints about tee pads being to short or too narrow. No distances or tee signs. Once you are off the tee you don't have the luxury of distances or proper footing. That sort of stuff has no actual bearing on whether a course is good or not. And bag holders? Does anyone really want to lift their bag up and hang it on every hole? Just not important.

Those are important things to note, and may not necessarily have an impact on a rating.

I always answer the question "did you find this review helpful" with a "no" if the clown reviewer whines or complains about tee signs, tee pads, distances or bag holders.

really? thats very lame, to be honest a iggnorant statement like this makes me want to go give you a thumbs down on every single review you have. good or not, cause i think people who give others a thumb down because the reviewer didn't like the crappy tee signs cause they had to walk every fairway to find the hole or because teepads were so crappy they were concerned about potential injury. see how dumb your logic is?
the only way i give a thumbs down for anybody is if its a "this course rocked" or the "this course sux" reviews. if they put any effort into the review whether i liked it or not i dont leave any feedback. and the only way i give a thumbs up is if it was a stellar review.

This thread was so cool when Flyboy was here

I was hoping for a battle royale between Superberry and Flyboy

What is interesting is how some of the gimmicks seen at Highbridge, Hippodrome, and Flyboy are seen as innovative design concepts but in other threads any hint of creativity is crushed.

amenities can add to a rating but never are they neccesary

absolutely, amenities are very important. as much as i like defecating in the woods i would much rather use a bathroom. or if im thristy it would be nice to have a water fountain to use. or trash cans so i dont have to lug my garbage or the garbage i pick up from others all around the course and then take it home with me because there isnt a single trash bin on the course or park, ive seen plenty of them.

Design includes:
layout
teepads
baskets
flow from hole to hole
tee signs

amenities:
trash cans
bathrooms
benches

Bonuses:
pro shops
playgrounds

if you think that design is only the layout then your foolish. anything that involves the actual play of the course is apart of its design. i guess i still reference many of the design articles ive read (back when the disc golf mag was actually well written and not just a tabloid) by John Houck, Chuck, and others were discussing design aspects of courses. i am a firm believer in quality par3s and 4s over just long @$$ holes that take you multiple throws to get there, and the only way they become "difficult" is if you OB they heck out of them. half the holes on this course look like throw for distance and be little concerned with placement. little to no thought is needed to attack these kind of holes. if you like to just throw for distance all the time go find an open field, not much different.

What is interesting is how some of the gimmicks seen at Highbridge, Hippodrome, and Flyboy are seen as innovative design concepts but in other threads any hint of creativity is crushed.

could you elaborate for me. i am unsure of what you mean

I think he is talking about hanging baskets, buried baskets, windmills, fiberglass t-rex and the like.

really? that's very lame, to be honest a ignorant statement like this makes me want to go give you a thumbs down on every single review you have. good or not, cause i think people who give others a thumb down because the reviewer didn't like the crappy tee signs cause they had to walk every fairway to find the hole or because teepads were so crappy they were concerned about potential injury. see how dumb your logic is?
the only way i give a thumbs down for anybody is if its a "this course rocked" or the "this course sux" reviews. if they put any effort into the review whether i liked it or not i don't leave any feedback. and the only way i give a thumbs up is if it was a stellar review.

You & I are on the same page about his stance.

But it is part of a bigger issue. For me there's no concrete rules/criteria for determining a course rating. If a course is great, you overlook the long walk between holes, no water fountains, etc. Amenities are nice, but they're not everything.

When I read Flip City reviews, I notice people talking about all the peripherals (beauty, amenities, friendliness, etc.), but never about the course being challenging. If you took the same course, and removed all the "extras", what are you left with? If it's a course that's not "that great," then the course is overrated. It'd be like going to a gentleman's establishment, and because the women are attractive, you're ignoring the most important part - that the food is terrible.

I think we tend to overvalue/overrate things because we're told by everyone else how good something is. The people who've given Flip City a lower rating get slammed for being "wrong." As narrow-minded/purposely attacking as Redneck Machismo is, at least he's willing to be honest and consistent in his reviews. His reasoning is clearly flawed, but at least he doesn't compromise his feelings.

What some would call Gimmicks at Flyboy

1600 foot hole
Roller Basket
basket in deadfall

Others consider Innovative

500 foot wide open holes are usually unimaginative/lazy, so does that mean a 1600 foot wide open hole is 3 times as much?

This is a list of courses rated by certain reviewers as being better than flip city.....these courses are rated by some dgcr members as being superior to #1 Flip City

Shore Acres Park
Iowa State University (Stable Run DGC)
Blue Ribbon Pines
Horning's Hideout - Canyon Course
Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill/Granite Ridge/Gold
Castle Hayne
Renny-NC
Golden Gate-SF
FDR-NY
Charlie Vettiner
East Roswell
Lake Olmstead
Leviathan
Hippodrome
Rogers Lakewood
Steady ED
Yadkin
Lincoln Ridge
Winter Park
Campton Hills
Fox Chase
Foothills
Dretzka
Lemon Lake Silver
Ashe County Park
Brown Deer
Boyne Mountain
Holler In the Hills

I don't know much about those courses but it just goes to show you how much opinions are different on this site and the consensus holds some merit. But in the end your own opinion is what counts and justifying your reasoning is whats it s all about

500 foot wide open holes are usually unimaginative/lazy, so does that mean a 1600 foot wide open hole is 3 times as much?

Ahhh but we have stated several times that the hole is only 94 feet wide...is that wide open to you? Most people would consider that a tunnel shot given the distance.

Personally I feel it was an easy and cool way to get from one side of the course to the other and utilize what is probably the biggest man-made geographical feature of the land.

my input

This is a list of courses rated by certain reviewers as being better than flip city.....these courses are rated by some dgcr members as being superior to #1 Flip City

Shore Acres Park
Iowa State University (Stable Run DGC)
Blue Ribbon Pines
Horning's Hideout - Canyon Course
Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill/Granite Ridge/Gold
Castle Hayne
Renny-NC
Golden Gate-SF
FDR-NY
Charlie Vettiner
East Roswell
Lake Olmstead
Leviathan
Hippodrome
Rogers Lakewood
Steady ED
Yadkin
Lincoln Ridge
Winter Park
Campton Hills
Fox Chase
Foothills
Dretzka
Lemon Lake Silver
Ashe County Park
Brown Deer
Boyne Mountain
Holler In the Hills

I don't know much about those courses but it just goes to show you how much opinions are different on this site and the consensus holds some merit. But in the end your own opinion is what counts and justifying your reasoning is whats it s all about

I've played 17 of the courses listed above! A few others have been on trip lists; but didn't get played for one reason or another; so, research has been done on them to a certain extent.

Many of these are tougher courses than Flip (but, not by a whole lot). However, for blue level players; with a good upshot; scores can be similar on many of them. Flip is about the amenities, as most will have noted. Perhaps the biggest, for me, is that at Flip, you get the pay to play atmosphere and all that entails; and yet, Bill is never in your face for payment. He will, however, come out to your campsite and have a friendly conversation with you. How often do you get that from a course designer; unless you go out of your way to ensure it (which, I often do, but I doubt many do).

Also, how many courses can you camp within 100 foot of the first tee; have a fire, cookout, etc. Play at night....it's a good night course; though, not lit.

It is also surrounded by Leviathan, Beauty, Beast, Goliath, and other good courses. I give bonus points for great groupings of courses. (Quad Cities and Charlotte area fall into this category as well.) As already noted, in this case; you get to camp at Flip; which allows great access to the others.

All of this because some folks are worried about which course is the #1 end all be all course? Can there be only one??

I love this site for honest/varying reviews and as a comprehensive repository for course information but when did it become all about ratings and numbers and "my pug is smarter than your honor student"??

If I want amenities I go to the mall.....when I wanna disc golf I go to the woods

Plain and simple, it's disc golf - enjoy it, don't hate on others, be respectful. One man's trash is another man's treasure. You like what you like and I like what I like, that's the beauty of being human - we don't all have to conform to the same likes and desires. I would venture to assume that the intial creation of the 5-disc rating guide was meant to be a basic, simple gradient for users to quickly (and shallowly) rate courses - much like rating a movie/book..... either really good and worth a look or really bad and not worth your time.

Anywho, end rant, just my two cents.

Ahhh but we have stated several times that the hole is only 94 feet wide...is that wide open to you? Most people would consider that a tunnel shot given the distance.

Personally I feel it was an easy and cool way to get from one side of the course to the other and utilize what is probably the biggest man-made geographical feature of the land.

Proportionally? Yes, it's a tunnel shot. Give me a fairway that wide for every shot and it's nothing but wide open.

It's the ultimate hole that favors the big arms (400+) and biggest arms (500+) over the average person (300 range). They'll be making 5s, while the rest of us will be shooting 7s & 8s.

Latest posts