• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip vs Flex Shot [S Curve]

Hyzer Flip or Flex Shot (S Curve)

• Total voters
I throw a hyzer-flip of sorts for D lines, and golf lines that need distance if the wind allows. I feel like I get a lot more power when pulling through on a hyzer line. When throwing for really big D in an open field, I'll hyzer-flip a katana or beat wraith high and to the left with a crap-load of snap, it will actually turn all the way over and flex out for distance. This is the perfect distance throw (IMHO) in a left-to-right tail-wind (RHBH).

I do the same exact thing with my pro katana and archon. The distance you can get on that shot is just awesome! I had to stop throwing my pro destroyer because it was just turning over so hard during it's flight. Thin I;m going to give a champ destroyer a few tosses.

What I hyzerflip is either a real light disc with more stability, or a decent weight understable disc.

What is the weight of the Wraiths and Destroyers you guys are hyzer flipping?

I have a Champion Wraith, and it is only 166, but brand new, and I have trouble finding my angle with flex shots currently, much less trying to hyzer flip it. But on the same hand, I have a 160 Slayer I can hyzerflip.

The longest hyzerflip I ever performed was a 165 Roadrunner, and I may get me another one...maybe... not to crazy about having a lot of understable molds. I hyzerflip my Leopard 300'.

What is the weight of the Wraiths and Destroyers you guys are hyzer flipping?

In my opinion, Pro destroyers are good to hyzer-flip. Unless you have a cannon arm and can flip up champs and stars then go for. Max weight on the pro's though. Once they start getting beat in enough they start to not come back out of their flex portions of the flight.

IMHO, I believe both are required. Typically, I fly the S line - it's more natural for my lefty sidearm. Learning the hyzer-flip took some trial and error and I had to force myself to do it. I started out with an Augusta star Wraith; however, if I missed the hyzer line it turned over way too hard. Eventually, I've settled into a super tuned 1st run ESP Nuke (started out as 173-174g's and is now around 169-170). I am truly amazed how this flys with so many notches taken out of the rim!!

IMHO, I believe both are required. Typically, I fly the S line - it's more natural for my lefty sidearm. Learning the hyzer-flip took some trial and error and I had to force myself to do it. I started out with an Augusta star Wraith; however, if I missed the hyzer line it turned over way too hard. Eventually, I've settled into a super tuned 1st run ESP Nuke (started out as 173-174g's and is now around 169-170). I am truly amazed how this flys with so many notches taken out of the rim!!

My star Archon 171 flys like a nicely worn wraith. Does anyone know if the archon flys similar to the Augusta Wraith?

For distance lines I like to hyzer flip slightly understable discs. I feel like I can generate more power on a hyzer than an anhyzer. I also purposely apply OAT to make sure they flip.

I like to use a heavy star Katana for hyzer flips and find I can get a little more distance with the HFlip. That being said, A nice tight flex shot with my banshee gets more use due to the wooded courses I play in a lot.

I love hyzer flipping my E* Wraith (RHBH)...i think my furthest distance with that shot so far is around 470. I have only tried a Flex shot a couple times, when i did it was (RHFH) with a max weight champ boss

Its called a flex shot '-'

You didn't read the article or understand that all distance shots have a flex portion of flight. The difference of the line is described by the disc orientation in its initial phase. Hence hyzer flip and distance anhyzer.

The distance a disc travels making a helix is much more significant than when one is hyzer flipped. With all things being equal a disc that is hyzer flipped will go further than one crushed on a anny and fading back every single time.

:hfive:

There's just something magical about seeing a disc flying from hyzer to locking in straight and then going into helix when thrown with enough power. Archon has been real good in this department thus far.

Trollin.... OP YOUR SIG IS RIDICULOUS this is a disc golf site take the politics somewhere eles..

On Topic.... I use both shots but perfer hyzer flips. It seems like the better I get the more I have shifted to Hyzer flips. I think once you get them down they are very reliable and stright. I get the most D out of them too. Last year all I threw for big D was Flex shots but now I only use them to get around obsticals and to get out of trouble. I throw a lot of Mid and Putter flexes from the rough.

Hyzer Flip
I got a 165 champion Roadrunner today, and sometimes the hyzer flip worked, sometimes it did not. When it worked, it was nice and long, but when it didn't, ugh.

Now with my Leopards, my 175 pro would hyzer straight and stay straight, (sometimes a little anny) but my 175 champion has a little more stability and had some fade to it, but was easily repeatable.

Also, my TeeBirds would go up straight, then fade, and was repeatable, though sometimes it would turn over and anny a little before coming back, which would be ok on a drive, but not on an approach shot.

Flex Shots/S Curves

My champion Orc is beat in quite a bit, so doesn't need a whole lot of anhyzer, but the S takes up a lot of room.

166 champion Wraith took some time to figure out, but it is more stable, which curves back much faster, and needs less room to make the S.

so

The Roadrunner, Orc, and Wraith all went out about the same distance on their longest flights. I am going to let my arm rest a few days, then try again.

The hyzer flip shot is the best for sure! The flex shot has it's place, but from a technical standpoint, the hyzer flip will take more strokes off your card time and time again.