• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip vs Flex Shot [S Curve]

Hyzer Flip or Flex Shot (S Curve)

• Total voters
anny release

i throw both anny flex shots and hyzer flips depending on the situation...I understand the distance potention of the hyzer flip but for me personally i can generate more arm speed on a slight anny release than a hyzer release....so i think that is something everyone has to consider when thinking about distance potentional with their throwing style. I use hyzer flips for more accurate straight shots or a dead flat realease for straight shots but for maximum distance i can throw the farthest with and overstable disc released on a slight anny and it will actually go pretty straight with not much left to right movement. Most people i have seen can generate more arm speed on a hyzer release and heres why...when most people starting playing disc golf we had our discs hyzering out because we would dig deep and release with a big hyzer...i did not continue to throw this way but many people did...i quickly began an intense routine for 5 months throwing dead flat releases with buzz ss and devloped my form that way and now i can generate a lot of snap form a flat release and even more snap from a slight anny release...something to keep in mind

Thats how i am as well. I have alot more power from a Flat or slight anny release. I feel like its probably related to some sort of form flaw but i dont know for sure and i dont mind throwing how i do now

As I've progressed, my shot selection has gotten much more conservative. For me, that means that most shots, especially drives, are coming out of my hand on a hyzer angle, varying from almost flat to /. For me, this is the most repeatable motion that generates the most "snap". If you throw like that, disc selection becomes the bigger factor. The only exception to this is when the hole starts curving right immediately and keeps curving right. Then I'm trying to throw a true anny using a beat KC Roc or a Buzzz, something neutral what will hold the line. I do better when I don't try to force a disc to flex for distance. Like I said, this is a conservative approach with more focus on control than distance.

Constant improvement in both shots is necessary. There is always a possible situation where one is the only choice, so practice both!

Pure distance shots, a 360 Sky Anny with a sub 160g disc with 15-20 L-R Tailwind. Times I've thrown in competitive/sanctioned/tourney round or had the ideal conditions to do so: 2.

Hyzer Flip is the way to go for Max Golf Distance. If I have an Anny Flex and Hyzer Flip line, I chose Hyzer Flip 9/10.

For my drives (375-425 golf, 460 Max), I can pinpoint landing areas much easier with a Hyzer Flip with less effort.

Flex shots I give accuracy away for torque, when skip and lateral movement are required and the gap is big.

Playing a High-Low L-R downhill drive is really only time I'd Flex vs Flip off the tee.

Throw Hard, Throw Smooth, Follow Through!

I have good luck with both styles depending on wind and what the shot calls for. If there's a little wind, I have really good luck both hyzer flipping a Valkyrie or Archon for accuracy, for distance a slight annie flex with a Wraith or my Orc give me the best distance.

I don't like hyzer flipping really understable discs like a Roadrunner or Mamba, I can never judge how far they will flip over and end up as a pathetic roller or just skate off and never come back.

For what it's worth, I'm an old guy that only throws 370 ft.

I feel I have more control, distance, and accuracy with a hyzer flip.

Borderland State Park Hole #2 White Tee
430' to White, 900' to Blue
Landing zones for second drive/approach to Blue Pin, another 400-550' behind. They are colored Good, OK, Bad, due to the guardian trees behind White Pin allowing a 30-40' gap above the Green and Yellow LZ.
picture.php

Hyzer Flip for both pins... Seen lots of birdies with Hyzer Flips to White Pin, not so many on Flex Shots...

Borderland State Park Hole #2 White Tee
400' to White, 910' to Blue
Landing zones for second drive/approach to Blue Pin, another 400-550' behind. They are colored Good, OK, Bad, due to the guardian trees behind White Pin allowing a 30-40' gap above the Green and Yellow LZ.
picture.php

Flex Shot for both pins... I don't have 400' FH, (Barely Scrape 300' when the stars align!), So Nose Down Anny Flex is really only option for both.

Approach to Blue Pin
If you drive 500+' your 2nd shot, everybody else probably 3rd shot, this is about 50-75' past guardian trees.
picture.php

I feel I have more control, distance, and accuracy with a hyzer flip.

My personal longest throws have been flex shots, thrown with a very stable disc, into a head wind. My personal shortest throws have been flex shots, thrown with a very stable disc, into a head wind. :eek: One of these ended up behind me after the cut roll portion of the flight.

It's a lot harder for me to screw up a variation of a hyzer release.

Last edited:
Hyzerflips for me are by far my best distance shots...especially if I can get it to flip up to flat and have some late turn before fading back. Can get amazingly long flights w/ relatively little lateral movement.

But.....I wish I could throw a decent flex shot. I just can't get nearly the arm speed & snap on an anny release. For me its a much safer shot as misjudging a hyzerflip can lead to some disastrous results.

I get about equal distance on both. This for me really depends on the wind and the type of shot. Hyzer flip an US Destroyer, or flex shot an OS Xcal, both yield 375-425 of distance. When I throw the tweener, a nicely worn Destroyer, flat, with the right height and power, I get up to ~450ft.

I guess you could call that a flex, but the disc does the flexin' on its own.

Im glad u mentioned that because some of my longest drivers were thrown flat and have the disc do a slight flex on its own...A perfect example of this for me is one of my giants thrown flat and hard into a moderate head wind and have the disc turn a little and come back

Flex shots give me more accuracy left to right and with predictable, ranged distance but less distance than a hyper flip. Overall, I end up with a better approach or putt flexing because I put it in an open area or, if basket's in reach of the drive, inside the circle more often.

Both give certain safeties, and certain runs. You can take the big side of different fairways with either. Throw both.

I like flex shots for shorter throws, but not so much for distance. Although, I don't use hyzerflips that much either for distance. Normally I just go with dead straight drives.

I usually hyzer flip, mainly because I haven't figured out a good flex shot release. Now, I'll flex something neutral on some shorter throws, but if I'm given the choice between a hyzer flip and a flex shot, it'll be a hyzer flip

Didn't vote; thread made no sense. They are different shots, used for different lines - AND a hyzer-flip can flex ... a hyzer-flip refers only to the initial portion of the flight ... hyzer release, disc flips up. Flips up to flat and goes dead straight with no fade = still a hyzer flip. Flips up, pans right, and never comes back = still a hyzer flip.

Last edited:
When people say flex shot for distance I envision torque monkeys eating bananas and dancing with toothbrushes. :eek:

That's interesting because when people say "flex shot for distance" I envision wood-nymphs spreading pixie-dust whilst chasing one another through the meadow with magical glowing dildos. :eek: (I'm not proud of it...currently shopping for counselors.)

Nevertheless....

Hyzer-flips are an integral part of my game, but my problem is consistency. Understable discs that will turn are awesome but unreliable. Stable and over-stable discs offer a more consistent flight, which increases accuracy and decreases strokes. It's way easier to S-curve a stable disc on an anny than it is to hyzer flip an understable disc and get the same result. Though I will admit that it's a MUCH prettier shot when your hyzer-flip works out.

Just trying to power-through the struggle.....

Latest posts