• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip vs Flex Shot [S Curve]

Hyzer Flip or Flex Shot (S Curve)

• Total voters
my favorite disc to flip right now is the nuke ss I have been getting great d with this disc. Downhill the other day with a tail wind I threw about 425 it was nice. But I also like to flip up a newish tee bird they will fly forever if flipped right.

I think if you have strong enough snap to hyzer-flip the more stable plastics this is the way to go. Watch how they just refuse to turn right but stay straight and true the whole way through. Wow, that rhymed.:)

I defiantely like the nyzer flip for distance, usually with a beat in stable discs, like a PD. I am working on my flex shot, however, because they certainly have their place.

Just saying, accuracy wise, I can place a Flex Shot 'decently'. But the hyzer flip with my Roadrunner, for distance, it is very difficult to predict it's landing area, because if it makes an S, it can go right a very long ways before coming back, or if it stays straight, it can have a similar flight to my Teebird, and those 2 landing points are no where near each other, so I have trouble justifying this shot for any reason. With the Leopard and Teebird, I don't have that problem, except the Teebird once in a while, and even that S is slight.

definately hyzer flip. If you can get a lightweight yet overstable in statistics disc to flip it will go forever. Plus this technique is is surprisingly controlable.

the hyzerflip works for me. my farthest drive was with a beat teebird in a left to right wind, 545'. but it was downhill, so take that into consideration.

now im hyzerflipping a vision with much success.

This may be a little off topic but did most pro's in the old days throw hyzer-flips for distance? I know everything that was thrown back then basically are what we call mid's nowadays.

For Max distance I use a 169 Nuke Z on a hyzer flip. For max distance where I need more control because of OB or wind/etc I use a Star Destroyer on flex shots.

Hyzer flip a vulcan. watch it S. and go real far. for me at least? this was all about bh drives right? forehand its forced flex out big fing anny's with Nuke OS, Ape or maybe the force.

I throw FH almost all the time and I love hyzer flipping a Leopard, Northman, Flow, River, Timberwolf...
Whatever understable disc I throw in the bag that day.

This may be a little off topic but did most pro's in the old days throw hyzer-flips for distance? I know everything that was thrown back then basically are what we call mid's nowadays.

Videos from the early 1990's show most pro's using every shot from flat, roller, anny, hyzer just the discs didn't travel as fast and seemed to be thrown much higher.

Some of the superclass and huge oldies won't go more than 100' without being flipped but then again holes were not as long either so accuracy played into the game back then a lot more than D.

I've only thrown hyzer flips on Archons and Vulcans. The Archon stays on a straighter line while the Vulcan does tend to turn.

This weekend I was watching some Pros throw the flex shot or "distance anhyzer" shot on a hole that was shaped like a backwards S. They release the disc on a slight anhyzer angle with height, disc turns slightly right, straightens out and then fades back left. The extra leg on the flight allowed the extra 50-70ft to get the disc in the circle on a 487ft hole. As a lefty on this hole, the shot could have been a hyzer flip, however there was a right-to-left crosswind, and if any of that flipping of the disc exposed the bottom flight it would push the disc left and straight out away from the basket. So on a hole that appears to favor leftys, I think the righties had more of advantage throwing the flex shot to get that extra leg of the flight.

Sometimes when I hear righties say this is such a lefty hole, I look at them and say the anhyzer flex will give you more distance. On certain righty holes, I've been able to throw the lefty anhyzer flex and out distance righties on "their" hole. I'm getting a little off track, but this illustrates that sometimes there is no lefty or righty hole.

Last, on other discs to hyzer flip, I'll throw lighter Pro plastic or DX and a few steps down to less stable disc. I once aced with a DX Leopard throwing a hyzer flip using a lot less arm and used more snap released on a hyzer angle, disc flips to flat, goes 325ft, and then fades back to smash the chains!

Last edited:
Still, I would like to hear from some players who have used both styles of long distance throwing, and what you preferred and why?

I love the hyzer flip vs the force over because the angle that you have to contort your body to do the force over doesn't work for me. It's really uncomfortable and I just can't get the power I can throwing flat to slight hyzer. I also find it to be a little more predictable.

FWIW, I throw destroyers and bosses for D.

Looks like I am in the minority. I currently use a flex type shot to get me the most distance. When I first started out I had a couple 150 g discs which I could easily hyzer flip and they would get some great distance until they got too flippy and they would end right, RHBH and burn. Now I tend to use a flex shot for the most distance. I think I need to get a couple of lighter weights and or some really broken in discs so that I can hyzer flip those and see what it does for my distance. Maybe a couple of DX Teebirds would fit the bill.

Looks like I am in the minority. I currently use a flex type shot to get me the most distance. When I first started out I had a couple 150 g discs which I could easily hyzer flip and they would get some great distance until they got too flippy and they would end right, RHBH and burn. Now I tend to use a flex shot for the most distance. I think I need to get a couple of lighter weights and or some really broken in discs so that I can hyzer flip those and see what it does for my distance. Maybe a couple of DX Teebirds would fit the bill.

Depending on your power, try a sidewinder or even a roadrunner. These will turn for you without too much effort. Occasionally on a big downwind shot and I'm feeling frisky, I'll pull out my champ sidewinder. (I've got some good power, maxing out around 550', avg golf d is around 475'.)

You can also try beat pro/x/dx faster discs, of course.

I don't look at them as an either/or shot. I use them both whenever needed. Wide open holes I will use a s-line and if I'm on a tight hole that requires distance I will go with a hyzer-flip.

f9d313e9.jpg

What would you throw on this hole?

The hole is flat and 435 ft long. There is a huge gully to the right and the left is tall disc eating grass. The teebox is probably 50 feet behind where the photo was taken and up a little hill.

I usually throw a beat destroyer, let it turn and then come back but I feel like I don't have enough control. Recently I've been flexing a 165 Firebird, aiming just inside the left tree and letting it com back to center fairway. It seems much more controllable and consistent for me.

f9d313e9.jpg

What would you throw on this hole?

The hole is flat and 435 ft long. There is a huge gully to the right and the left is tall disc eating grass. The teebox is probably 50 feet behind where the photo was taken and up a little hill.

I usually throw a beat destroyer, let it turn and then come back but I feel like I don't have enough control. Recently I've been flexing a 165 Firebird, aiming just inside the left tree and letting it com back to center fairway. It seems much more controllable and consistent for me.

There seems to be a slight incline before the flat shot happens. I struggle with these types of holes, but if it were me I'd throw my worn star firebird. It's really straight and with a small bit of anny I could probably get it out enough and par out.

I at least slightly hyzer flip almost every shot. It gets good distance and makes under stable discs dead straight which is great for super wooded courses around me. It's starting to become a problem though. I keep accidentally trying to hyzer flip my brand new destroyer instead of a flat release but I think I've pretty much fixed it by now.

I at least slightly hyzer flip almost every shot. It gets good distance and makes under stable discs dead straight which is great for super wooded courses around me.
I've said this elsewhere, but I throw most of my (fairway) and midrange shots on a slight hyzer, more of a flattened hyzer than a flip per se, but you get the idea. Those shots are with a DX Teebird and an X Comet (and formerly a DX Roc). The Teebird is great because when thrown with the proper amount of hyzer, it will lock in and fly straight as an arrow, only fading out if I give it too much height. The Comet will so the same. When I beat my Eagle-X in more it should give me some natural turn and allow for that natural line. I've also purchased a Pro Leo and Pro Valk that will help with that turn/fade line.

As for that shot, parking it is outside of my range - I'd like to know where I could land one ~250-300 feet out, as that's most likely where I'd go. But to keep it in the fairway, I'd likely throw a Comet with just enough height to clear that junk and let it float somewhere so I could make an approach.

I think this shot is less of a hyzer-flip and more of an S curve with the same disc. Throw the disc flat, let it turn out to the right (RHBH) over the gully and fade back to fairway. You could get this with a flex shot - the anny on the disc (RHBH again) will get it out to the right and then fade back like you mentioned.

Latest posts