• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Hyzerbomb Mortar

Even smaller microbead. To the point it's not even really a microbead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a blue and orange 1.5, in recon, which are both nice and flat— extremely pearly too.

Don't particularly care bout the bead, just the wing shape

Same as the 1.3 recon- round. I haven't seen a 1.4 in person so don't know how it comapres. There's a microbead. Lots of the colors are blizzardy feeling especially red. Green and some colors felt like a blend between G and Champ. The yellows and blues were pearly without the blizzard feel. Blues were really stiff.

This round/concave business has been spotted in the Pro Pigs as well. I don't get why this is happening.

This round/concave business has been spotted in the Pro Pigs as well. I don't get why this is happening.

Hmm.. I might have misinterpreted what a wing is. The top piece of the new 1.5 recon Mortars is the round gator component. Sometimes they, gators and earlier mortars, are more square. The bottom component I actually don't know with the disc not in front of me at the moment. I believe they are straight instead of concave though. Sorry if I got confused.

Yeah, I was thinking blunt/round nose, concave/round wing but idk.

Looked at my new Blue Recon 1.5 last night. Top is def round like the 1.3..

Now the bottom. This has been debated at length on other runs on the Millennium collectors page. Theres a microbead that makes it look curved but to me appears to be straight.

Local disc golf shop got 150-200 1.5 Mortars and I pretty much checked every single one.

- Blue Recon ones were the flattest. Some of them were pearly.
- Yellow Recons were also quite flat and many of them were pearly.
- Pink, green and orange recons were the most domey. Pink recons were Blizzard like plastic.
- I found similarly flat yellow and blue recons, but yellow ones had consistently more plus rim. -> I liked blue recons.
- All Frontline X mortars were some what domey and too flexible for my taste.

This batch of Mortars were sold as "flat tops" but I'd consider only 15% of all of the discs in the batch flat.

sandelius;3299977 - Pink said:
Maybe it's because of the color glow recon but my pink is flat to puddle topped with the blizzard like rim. It's very OS.

Theres a new run of Star or S-Line or whatever Hyzerbomb calls the plastic coming out soon. They were available at the Nyck Hyde AM. A friend picked one up for me.

Theres a new run of Star or S-Line or whatever Hyzerbomb calls the plastic coming out soon. They were available at the Nyck Hyde AM. A friend picked one up for me.

They just call it frontline...

They just call it frontline...

I always forget because they don't use the S and C beginning letters and I'm not trying hard enough to remember. Frontline-Star.. Frontline X- G-Star.. Recon- Champion.

I hope the new Frontlines are the most overstable of all newer flat runs.

I just picked up a Big Jerm stamped Recon Mortar from Discovering The World and played two rounds with it and I can confidently say this is my new favorite overstable forehand midrange. I absolutely love Bt hard Harps and would never speak poorly of that awesome putter but as a disgusting Innova fanboy I had to take one of them out of my bag to make room for this bad boy. Thank you Big Jerm for putting this guy on my radar.

Attachments

• reconm.jpg
    reconm.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 54
Bit of a headscratcher I am dealing with as far as bag composition. Presently I am bagging an Envy for my backhand putter driving workhorse. The magical thing about an Envy is that it also forehands like a dream, with relatively little LSS considering how HSS it is. Thanks to these characteristics, it does not overlap with my 1.5 recon mortars, rather, creating a perfect one-two punch of tastey FH upshot goodness.

For you guys bagging something else for your backhand driving putters, say something like a wizard or chally, what goes in the bag alongside a mortar for shorter, non-skipping FH upshots?

Nothing wrong with bagging an envy alongside an oldschool beaded driving putter, but I figure they might overlap in that backhand workhorse role a bit.

To me, the Zone is second only to the Mortar when is comes to comfy FH upshot discs. I could toss a JB zone alongside a Mortar, but then I would feel silly for bagging the Mortar over say, an ESP (or other premium) zone and shaving 1 mold from the bag, considering they provide such a similar role. A BT Harp presents a similar dilemma, as does a Slammer I would think.

A flat topped Caltrop or Rhyno would likely fit the bill - I have found that it's the classic caltrops that come flat topped, and CFR Rhynos. Not sure if a classic Caltrop would stay stable enough, as I found that a DX Rhyno, for example, will flip when thrown with a little stink. Flat Rhynos would work OK I figure, as when flat they are comfy enough to FH. A berg also comes to mind.

The AviarX3 is a pretty obvious option and is being picked up by plenty of innova pros it seems. The puddle top and deep rim combined with the gummy star plastic did not click for me tho.

I know the Recon-X mortar exists too, but I am not sure I'd be wild about specifically flexy plastic in this role, preferring to rely on the "non-skippyness" of a mold to keep the skips to a minimum. Actually, when thrown FH I found the Mortar to hit and stick about as well as a zone, harp or AX3.

Nothing wrong with bagging an envy alongside an oldschool beaded driving putter, but I figure they might overlap in that backhand workhorse role a bit.

To me, the Zone is second only to the Mortar when is comes to comfy FH upshot discs. I could toss a JB zone alongside a Mortar, but then I would feel silly for bagging the Mortar over say, an ESP (or other premium) zone and shaving 1 mold from the bag, considering they provide such a similar role. A BT Harp presents a similar dilemma, as does a Slammer I would think.

I throw Zones forehand for the majority of my upshots (I just seem to be more accurate than backhand approaches, especially when not at full power). I carry an Esp for very overstable and a beat Pro-D that I throw for about 80% of my approaches that fly just like you described with your Envy (I used to carry Envys for this slot, and still have some as backups in case I lose my beat Pro-D Zone).

I throw premium and baseline Judges for my backhand driving putter. As I said, I really only like to throw these full or near full power if I can help it.

So, when thrown backhand, my most stable Fuzion Judge overlaps some with my beat Pro-D Zone (although the Judge is about 30 feet shorter). But I don't worry about it and just use them for different roles.

Last edited:

Latest posts