• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Hyzerbomb Mortar

Got a pair of 1.5 recon mortars a couple weeks ago (blues). Really been working them into my arsenal ever since, getting a feel for them. They pair up so well with my zones, and I like the ground game they can give you.

Played a few holes lately where I threw a low hyzer skip off the ground, around the corner and parked them. Used to use a Drone for this shot, but I never enjoyed the drone's hand feel.

Still working on my forehand game (in the past I relied more on anhyers but I have made it my mission to develop a forehand this summer), I am having a little problem with wrist roll / anhyzer releases, but once I get that sorted this will be indesposable.

Got a pair of 1.5 recon mortars a couple weeks ago (blues). Really been working them into my arsenal ever since, getting a feel for them. They pair up so well with my zones, and I like the ground game they can give you.

Played a few holes lately where I threw a low hyzer skip off the ground, around the corner and parked them. Used to use a Drone for this shot, but I never enjoyed the drone's hand feel.

Still working on my forehand game (in the past I relied more on anhyers but I have made it my mission to develop a forehand this summer), I am having a little problem with wrist roll / anhyzer releases, but once I get that sorted this will be indesposable.
This is the forehand thrower's plight.

Finally gave in to the hype and ordered a blue 1.5 mortar. Gotta say,first impressions were not great. First of all the microbead was a lot more prominent than I expected. Even further exacerbated by the fact that there was a massive amount of flashing on both the parting line and the bead. I spent 10 minutes with a razor trying to get rid of all the flashing without damaging the disc. The plastic is very flexible/gummy and pearly in appearance.Feels more like gstar/champ hybrid or old pearly gold line from lat64. It was super flat so that was nice. The disc was also had a very rough texture in some spots almost like the mold wasn't smooth or their were tiny air bubbles in the surface. Along the entire outside edge of the disc there were tiny micro cracks creating a very rough gripping surface. For a $20 disc I guess I just expected something a little higher quality, not something reminisce of a factory second.

Flight wise it's a bit faster/longer and has more glide than I expected. Thrown from a standstill at roughly 80% power it would fly about 200' before fading out. With more of a forward glidey fade instead of side to side. Most of my shots were landing in the 250' range. I cut my hand several times on the flashing when using it forehand. When I attempted to power down it was very difficult to control placement. Honestly reminds me a ton of my moonshine emac truth except flat and not as high of quality. I'm going to keep testing it though and we will see if I come around.

I have seller's remorse for parting with my Frontline-X 1.3. Great disc and I am definitely missing them now. My Star Caiman just arrived today, so I am hoping it will be a good replacement. I do not like the small bead, the reason for liking the 1.3, but it is not a dealbreaker for the Caiman before I even give it a try.

Like noted above with the 1.5, the flashing was evident and sharp on the bead. I took my Dremel and cleaned it up - legally, taking the flashing and not the bead. For me, the Verdict is not overstable, just a touch more stable than my EMac Truths, and even so, they also can be stretched out enough where they can take some fairway driver shots. My Justice is too overstable, so recently I have been having remorse for selling my Mortars. That is why I am excited to give the Caiman a try because someone mentioned that it is a less expensive version of the 1.5. I would prefer to have the 1.3, but aside for making a heavy one-sided trade, I am not spending the money to go find some more.

As for the Star plastic, this latest run reminds me of Frontline-X; grippy and flexible. I recently got into Star Aviar3 and AviarX3, and I am loving them. So I have high hopes for the Caiman. Please be like a Mortar.

I have seller's remorse for parting with my Frontline-X 1.3. Great disc and I am definitely missing them now. My Star Caiman just arrived today, so I am hoping it will be a good replacement. I do not like the small bead, the reason for liking the 1.3, but it is not a dealbreaker for the Caiman before I even give it a try.

Like noted above with the 1.5, the flashing was evident and sharp on the bead. I took my Dremel and cleaned it up - legally, taking the flashing and not the bead. For me, the Verdict is not overstable, just a touch more stable than my EMac Truths, and even so, they also can be stretched out enough where they can take some fairway driver shots. My Justice is too overstable, so recently I have been having remorse for selling my Mortars. That is why I am excited to give the Caiman a try because someone mentioned that it is a less expensive version of the 1.5. I would prefer to have the 1.3, but aside for making a heavy one-sided trade, I am not spending the money to go find some more.

As for the Star plastic, this latest run reminds me of Frontline-X; grippy and flexible. I recently got into Star Aviar3 and AviarX3, and I am loving them. So I have high hopes for the Caiman. Please be like a Mortar.

Never thought of using a dremel, what kind of attachment did you use? I've gotta try that.

Let me know how the caiman works out for you. It sounds like you are looking for a disc to fill the exact same slot as me and if the mortar doesn't cut it I am going to keep looking. How is the Aviarx3 in comparison the the mortar/caiman? I know it is a putter and a good deal slower. Would you bag both or do they fill the same slot for you? I also have a rat on the way which I feel like is going to be very similar to the aviarx3.

Can anyone compare one to a caiman? Caimans sounds like stock versions of the color glow run infinite had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought of using a dremel, what kind of attachment did you use? I've gotta try that.

Let me know how the caiman works out for you. It sounds like you are looking for a disc to fill the exact same slot as me and if the mortar doesn't cut it I am going to keep looking. How is the Aviarx3 in comparison the the mortar/caiman? I know it is a putter and a good deal slower. Would you bag both or do they fill the same slot for you? I also have a rat on the way which I feel like is going to be very similar to the aviarx3.

For reference, I have a Proto Star Stamped Star Caiman, 175g. I have a regular production stamped Star Caiman coming in the mail and should arrive by Thursday.

Plastic: This Star reminds me a lot of the 1.3 Frontline-X. I am not sure of other runs, but it is comparable to that particular run. It is gummy and slightly flexible. The F-X was almost bendable while the Star is closer to GStar in flexibility and grip. In the end, I like the Star better because once it is cleansed of the production slickness, it grips better in my hand, specifically the thumb and the meat of my palm.

High Speed Flight: I am going to preface this with that I only had one day of throwing with the Caiman, but on the lines I threw multiple shots, I think I know what I have. The Caiman is more HSS than the Mortar. The last time I threw my 1.3, it was fairly dead straight out of the hand and up to about 80% of the flight before fading. Unless near-full power, the Caiman does have a touch more HSS, enough where it will immediately start tracking left (assume RHBH). This is nothing a little anhyzer and or a little more power and or a little more seasoning can knock out if it. It is not crazy high stable like my Justice.

I throw both the Fuzion and Lucid Justice. I hate basic plastic simply because its flight characteristics change too dramatically. I prefer something that seasons slowly so I am not surprised and or is too far different from a new disc in case it needs to be replaced. The Justice is a beefcake; super high speed overstable. Most of its throws are for fun when unloading the bag or competing against a friend who also has a Justice, but in serious competition, I rarely break it out because of how niche of a disc it is.

The Caiman is not as HSS as the Justice, so it is much closer to what I can work with. Currently I have the Verdict in that spot, but the Verdict is not overstable. If anything, it is stable, almost identical to an EMac Truth for the first 80% of the flight. Only their fades are different. Even then, the Truth and Verdict are almost hybrid fairway drivers, and I am actually looking for something a little shorter and dumpier. Hence the Caiman or Mortar (again).

I can see the Caiman working once it has some seasoning under it, but for yesterday's lines (flat release, straight flight for at least half of the flight, and then solid finish left but still going somewhat forward), it was still just a touch too HSS, so I could not just reach back and throw. I really had to concentrate on wrist angles to get the flight I was hoping to get out of it.

Low Speed Flight: Despite it starting to track left immediately out of the hand, its fade was not harsh at all. It was dumping, but soft enough where it did not roll away, skip, flare, or finish too far left. This time it reminded me almost exactly of a Mortar. Against my Verdict, it finished strongly, whereas the Verdict has been recently finishing rather flat without almost no tracking to the left unless I underpower it.

AviarX3: Whenever I first pick up a disc, I have a tendency to throw it close to its intended numbers and or what I expect them to throw, and during the course of a few weeks, I start to push them for more distance. That is when I really discover if it is the disc I want it to be. I picked up the Star AviarX3 because I had a lot of spare funny-money from winning a league weekend as well as winning a tournament a few weeks later. I was using the Harp as my overstable putter; the Harp is a great driving putter but I could never dial it in as an approach disc. Plus, I only had two Harps, and I prefer to carry at least four in my inventory as I have a tournament bag, an everyday bag, and want to own two back-ups because of my ability to lose a disc easily. Instead of getting more Harps, I gave the AX3 a try.

All of my AviarX3, in which I now have five, are puddle-tops, so keep that in mind. I think that was almost intentional because I have Proto Stars, a CFR, and two production runs, and they all have sunken tops. Anyway, they are a far better approach disc than a driving putter. Its flight is very similar to what I remember the Mortar to be, just shorter, but it is not as overstable as the Caiman. As for its fade, it is harder than the Caiman, but also a little more glidier, meaning it will likely finish more left if given enough height (and assuming the Caiman did not already finish more left because of the amount it gained during its HSS). The Harp would be the middle ground between the AX3 and Mortar/Caiman, and could cover most of their shots, but could not cover them all. If you have the space in your bag for both the AX3 and Mortar/Caiman, they will play well together.

Dremel: I use the standard wood sanding bit. Just be quick and very careful because it removes plastic fast. I use light strokes and take no more than a few inches at time so it does not create grooves in the plastic. I make two or three passes to make sure I got everything, but the whole process does not take more than a minute or two. My hands thank me because that flashing can be sharp and will definitely mess with my grip if I do nothing about it.

Final Statement: I am only comparing it to the Frontline-X as I do not know how much different the Recon version is. If I had a choice between the Mortar and Caiman, I would take the 1.3 Mortar every time the time because it was exactly what I am looking for now (hence the seller's remorse I have for parting with the three I was carrying last year). If the 1.5 has a micro-bead, my assumption is that it would fly almost identical to the Caiman. I thought I could get by with my Verdicts and sold the 1.3 while I could still get good money for them. Now I wish I could trade for them back. So hopefully, with some seasoning the Caiman will fall into the stability range I want. It is close, but not there yet.

Can anyone compare one to a caiman? Caimans sounds like stock versions of the color glow run infinite had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched over to Caimans instead of Mortars because of availability and I prefer the feel of Star plastic to Recon or Frontline-X. Flight is pretty much identical from what I've been able to discern.

For those without a dremel, or who may be wary about hitting your disc with one: when a disc has a healthy amount of flashing that I wish to remove, I bring my disc down to my basement and rub it in circular motions on the smooth(ish) concrete floor. It takes the flashing off gently, little by little, and leaves a really smooth finish.

For those without a dremel, or who may be wary about hitting your disc with one: when a disc has a healthy amount of flashing that I wish to remove, I bring my disc down to my basement and rub it in circular motions on the smooth(ish) concrete floor. It takes the flashing off gently, little by little, and leaves a really smooth finish.

I use a 3M sanding block - ten swipes with the rough side, rotate, ten swipes, rotate, repeat until I'm back where I started. Then I switch to the finer grit side of the block, same thing.

Outside of a very smooth, consistent concrete surface, this seems to work the best, as it quickly removes excessive flashing without marring the bead/rim.

Honestly, I tried to like the new run, but I feel like the microbead just defeats the purpose of the mold. It's supposed to be a beadless Gator replacement. Whether they call it that or not, that is why people started buying them and why the became so popular. How can you have a beadless Gator with a microbead?

I have 3 recons and 3 of the frontline X's to get rid of. I will hold on to my older beadless runs for now.

Honestly, I tried to like the new run, but I feel like the microbead just defeats the purpose of the mold. It's supposed to be a beadless Gator replacement. Whether they call it that or not, that is why people started buying them and why the became so popular. How can you have a beadless Gator with a microbead?

I have 3 recons and 3 of the frontline X's to get rid of. I will hold on to my older beadless runs for now.

How much difference can a microbead make? I love mine from the new runs.

How much difference can a microbead make? I love mine from the new runs.

It completely changes the feel in the hand for me. They honestly feel like completely different discs. The bead is noticeable, then add the flashing and it is even worse. Why even make a run with the microbead at all if it's supposed to be a beadless version of a gator?

It completely changes the feel in the hand for me. They honestly feel like completely different discs. The bead is noticeable, then add the flashing and it is even worse. Why even make a run with the microbead at all if it's supposed to be a beadless version of a gator?

Because they just like to mess with your head man.

The new Caiman from Innova is a true beadless Gator. I have one, and there's no microbead or anything like that. I'd highly recommend if that's what you're looking for

I've heard it's almost identical to the 1.5 mortars. Guess I will have to feel one up next time I'm at a shop.

I was concerned about the microbead too - actually I thought it was ridiculous that they would even consider adding a microbead to the thing, just keep it simple and make a beadles gator.

But as it turns out, I have no problem with the microbead, in fact, it's even more micro than the one on the Verdict for example, which always comes up when discussing FH mids.

Mine have no flashing, but they do have that "interesting" texture around the rim. I've since figured that although it kind of looks like blizzard, there appears to be little to no actual air bubbles, just an unusual kind of texture from the pattern that the plastic was injected in.

I have felt swirly star caimans with the same thing; bothers me less than I would have expected. ;)