• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

I am in favor of making it a community thing. The club here in Denver is awesome and there are lots of people that pitch in to help out. I would let someone know that they can help out if they would like to see these things they are complaining about happen.

I struggle as my home course is the one that the parks department wants to have complete control of the course. Makes improvements an issue. Though this summer we finished getting all new turf tees and double chains for all the baskets. Good job parks department!

I also thought if players would snap thorns instead of sapplings and trees most courses would improve but instead many players trample sapplings and let the thorns thrive.
I think the rule we had in effect that any thorn in your shot or lie could be destroyed wo penalty was a step in the right direction
I can't stand when a tree is pushed over or snapped just to may e save a stroke. We lose the tree forever the course gets less challenging and the player maybe shaves a stroke off of a casual round that doesn't count for anything

I've added prizes to my Ace Race for the card that brings back the most trash. Every card gets a bag and we'll weigh them afterwards. With 45 signed up, that'll be NINE 5-somes out on the course picking up trash. :thmbup:

I've added prizes to my Ace Race for the card that brings back the most trash. Every card gets a bag and we'll weigh them afterwards. With 45 signed up, that'll be NINE 5-somes out on the course picking up trash. :thmbup:

Do hookers or bums count?

I am not THEY but I do pick up trash and recently cut a couple new disc retrieval trails to find my coveted pink CFR Wraith. Those trails will inevitably help THEM in the future. Maybe I am THEY on some level?

I am a They. I've spent over 3000 hrs in the last 2 years, building, designing, and maintaining DG courses. I leave home early and spend a few hours on a course almost every day before work. When I was out of work I built courses 8hrs a day. I totally appreciate when the "Them's" pick up some trash, and have learned to value an hr of help from anyone. Its so easy to help out.

There isn't a person on here that should walk down a fairway after a wind storm and ignore branches in a fairway or ignore trash on the courses.

I can't possibly count the number of times entire weekends were spent on a course preparing for a tournament and then getting more stuff pointed out to you that is wrong or that someone is un happy with. the random guy that complains usually doesn't get me. it is the club member or avid tournament player that knows who is doing the work and still has the balls to point sh!t out. It is a thankless job as we (they) know.

So you have had Jenkins or Feldberg attend your tournaments?

I guess I am THEY as well. I've noticed every spring a new group of noobs show up and trash the place. The regular players have taken it upon themselves to "educate" these new players on course ettiquite :thmbup:

We've got four 18-hole courses and one 9-hole course our club looks after. Another 18 should be in the ground by springtime. We have several works days a year, always two in the spring and two in the fall and then one before tournaments.

I wish I could make more of the works days but it isn't possible with 3 kids. However, I do make one or two work days a year and have acted as the liaison between the Mayor of one of our cities that has a course and the club and that's resulted in over $10,000 in grants from the city for Disc Golf over the past three years which has boosted local tournaments and has purchase 18 baskets and 20 sleeves for additional pin placements.

I've learned over the years that few, if any, non club members have any real idea of what it takes to maintain area courses. We're lucky with one of our courses being the personal project of a local city employee and another course being on private land where the owner takes care of a lot of the maintenance.

I AM THEY!! I get alot of satifaction of seeing the casual families playing on the courses I helped create and maintain. Me and "The Captain" are out all the time. We run the local tournies and leagues and It makes me feel good that so many others get to have a good time from the effort I put in. I try not to let the compliants bother me.

What an inspiring thread! :hfive:

One thing I have learned from the several years of maintaining and building courses in the area is that not everyone thinks, feels and has the same goals for disc golf , personally and socially. I used to get all bent out of shape by people making up excuses not to help out but I realized that's not their thing. Some people would rather play. Nothing against that, I mean that is why we do, what we do, to get new courses in and keep them fixed up.
In the end its for the player.
Without them there would only be like 5 people using the courses.
I've also noticed that I get alot more thanks and praises than complaints and to the complaints I simply answer that I'll get around to taking care of it and that it'd happen faster with help but I just don't get that luxury.
I've had people I don't even know stop playing literally and join in on what I was doing. That's the kinda stuff that keeps me doing what I do.

Anyhoo sorry for the long post, gotta drink some more coffee and get over to Vets to move baskets and clean up to get it ready for the glow tournament tomorrow. :thmbup:

storytime please:D

Every course is the worst ever and shouldn't be played in a pro event. Once they win its great and the club did an amazing job prepping, if they lose it was terrible and they will petition to never have it played again. repeat.

Every course is the worst ever and shouldn't be played in a pro event. Once they win its great and the club did an amazing job prepping, if they lose it was terrible and they will petition to never have it played again. repeat.

I laughed at this because I remembered Feldborgs comment about the "stumps" on #17 at Renny on the Clash at Renny Gold DVD.

Cmon now they are playin for big money you guys shoulda pulled that one weed out of the fairway!

I laughed at this because I remembered Feldborgs comment about the "stumps" on #17 at Renny on the Clash at Renny Gold DVD.

Cmon now they are playin for big money you guys shoulda pulled that one weed out of the fairway!

All this reminds me of Climo at Worlds when he slipped and missed a putt on hole 1 during worlds at our course.......he smirked and was pissed off and said something to his caddie...could tell by his expression.....I being "They" didnt say a word, I was about to say "c'mon we just had a torrential downpour that delayed the start for an hour and it's hole 1 and you slipped! LOL but I kept my mouth shut and marveled at his ability and skill the rest of the round...I also was amazed by his generosity and friendliness....giving me putting advice in the middle of worlds !!!! He earned my respect and I'm glad I didnt judge him by his anger about a mud slip on hole 1.

Long story short whenever I am on that green and in that area of the green I'm thinking CLIMO and when I make it I feel some silent glory!

I'm about to become a THEY so this thread has been an interesting read.

I'm going to try to make sure all the local players know it's EVERYONE'S course not MY course. That way maybe a few of them will think WE need to do something about this and help be part of the solution.

But maybe I'm being too optimistic :)

Latest posts