• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

Your balance looks much better when punching back and forth. The biggest problem I see when you go to do the backhand type swing, is you are disconnected the arm. Watch what your right upper arm is doing when you punch left handed...it just stays with your body and moves/anticipates the rotation WITH you. Then when you go to swing the arm instead backhanded in that same direction, you leave the arm behind and it collapses and does weird things as you start moving forward.

With this stance setup, tempo, "backswing" length, etc., don't expect it to look just like a disc golf throw. So try to keep the right upper arm connected and with your torso as you swing in the RHBH direction, don't over-lag it back.

Yeah there is too much lag/disconnect between the body and arm, and trying to spin your hips too much or too fast. Also when you go backhand, you are not backhanding an uppercut/hyzer/vertical upward motion. You are leaning back/standing up out of forward tilted athletic posture and backhanding an overhand anhyzer or roller. Bring your shoulder over your knee and toes, not behind your heel.

Another way to think about it...when you're punching you're really connected through your body and your arm. Both arms it looks like. This feels powerful.

With the backhand swing you're then getting a delay and a whip thing. It seems like it would be quicker, etc.

But the goal isn't to have the arm disconnected and having the hand move as fast as possible...it's leveraging the disc so that the disc ejects as fast as possible. Try to keep the arm together/leveraged feeling, strong feeling, rather than fast feeling. Like you're trying to backhand something really hard/firmly or break through a board. If you whip your arm at a board you can imagine it just bouncing back with your hand in so much pain. Heavy up and smash through that board.

Yeah there is too much lag/disconnect between the body and arm, and trying to spin your hips too much or too fast. Also when you go backhand, you are not backhanding an uppercut/hyzer/vertical upward motion. You are leaning back/standing up out of forward tilted athletic posture and backhanding an overhand anhyzer or roller. Bring your shoulder over your knee and toes, not behind your heel.

Are we spinning the hips as the front leg goes down with the weight or after the weight has landed? Cause i cant spin the hips on one leg, not with a bent leg anyway

Alright so here is me trying to stay a little more connected.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F7DYb32jQWaCMnRPGfQS3icqva6iHskM

I'm trying to not do the whip thing here by stopping the "delay" feel. Let me know if I'm closer.

Getting closer for sure. Some of those swings look better than others. The biggest thing that I see right now, is that when you move to your right as in RHBH swing or lefty uppercut, your spine is tilted back.

If you pause the video as you are about to throw a righty uppercut, your spine/head tilt toward your left leg. The upper spine/neck are farther toward your planting left foot than your lower spine is. This is good with how you finish the movement.

When you move to your left in any lefty uppercut or right hand backhand, your hips/lower spine are ahead of your sternum and you are kind of tilted away from your planting right leg.

I think you are not shifting your body over/to your right leg. If you pause on any righty uppercut, your head and body are pretty stacked over your left leg. On any movement the other way, your head and body are farther inside of your right leg. Commit to moving laterally a few more inches and actually getting balanced over your right leg before and to be able to swing.

Are we spinning the hips as the front leg goes down with the weight or after the weight has landed? Cause i cant spin the hips on one leg, not with a bent leg anyway
No spinning on the way down, that would be a spin out/wasting leverage/torque. You need to be upright on the front leg in One Leg Drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUOAZrbMGs&t=9m57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1-fZ9zwN4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLcJvoqzbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m57s

When you move to your right in any lefty uppercut or right hand backhand, your hips/lower spine are ahead of your sternum and you are kind of tilted away from your planting right leg.

I messed up this one part in my post above, it is correct in these quotes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VRE6KZsZfirni-8g-vTIvqrmRVj8VYps

Hey everyone. In this video I'm trying to commit more to the weight shift and get my center of gravity more to my right on my lefty uppercuts and then throws. This was feeling pretty decent. I started off with my stance too wide, and I actually feel like my stance was widening during some of the punches and throws but I tried to keep it under control. Let me know how this looks, and as always thank all of you so much for the continued assistance with my inability to get this frisbee thing right :)

Definitely the best yet. On a few of the lefty punches/RHBH you are getting a disconnect rotation with the hips turning first. If you look at your spine tilt after you've thrown a righty uppercut, which would be your backswing equivalent, you can then drop butt-first and all together to your right leg and then rotate for the forward swing.

On some of the other swings you're much more together.

Just be aware of not pre-rotating the right side as it's coming down, and also keep your left arm, especially upper arm and elbow, in closer to your torso/hip when doing the backhand.

Looks like you are trying punch something too far away from you and getting tipped/pulled out of your center. Uppercut should be close range right over your foot, keeping you more tightly centered, compact shift is more explosive. When you go to throw the backhand so are still hooking the left(rounding) coming thru instead of upper cutting straight thru upward.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11g4a-9ayGjiLPpll1ZGTz_6Ax-rleQhf

Took a break but now I'm back. In this video I am trying to keep my punch "target" in closer and not lean out so much. I am also still keeping the over rotation thing in mind so hopefully I'm not doing that. I'm also doing my best to not stand up into the throw motion and keep myself leaned over and backfist the target instead of coming up flat and rounding. Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction, and thanks for the continued help.

Slow down. Focus on delivering power from the connection with the body/arm thru the hit/punch thru the board not at it. Fast hips/body/arm do not equal power when the arm is disconnected. Your stance looks a little too wide. A slower punch can very powerful when all your mass is behind it.

Looking better. Now just grab a beverage in the left hand and throw the right back and forth or windmill and let the arm turnover upward into the finish back over your shoulder.

I think I will try to record a don't spill the beverage a little later today if I have time, but I have been thinking a bit and wanted a spot check concept wise. I went out and threw some yesterday in a field ( I was going to play a round but there was an event going on so I let them be). I was trying to utilize the feel from the uppercuts and and make sure I was leaning over into kind of a hyzer angle instead of standing up perfectly straight when I think I had a realization.

If I'm right then there are two sort of intuitive parts to the throw. There is setting up on the right side, which I'm imagining as me trying to pull something heavy horizontally (IE Door frame drill) and that when I do an x step I have to set up in a final position where I can really pull that door frame and throw it down the field, and if I'm not balanced then there is no way I can put any real weight or power behind the pull.

The second aspect to the throw being trying to get into that set up position a little quicker, without going so fast that I lose balance and topple over. I noticed that when I was pretending I was pulling something heavy, I would go through my x step and then kind of wait at the very last bit for my body to kind of "fall" onto the right side and then I would initiate the throw. I think that if I can push off my left side toes and instep and get into the set up power pull position faster (still slow enough as to not lose balance that is), and THEN initiate the throw, then I would be putting more power in to the shot.

The reason I am posting this is that before I had been imagining my right side coming down, and crushing the can, as me kind of stomping a big button on the ground, and that was the start button for me to try and throw. I think this kind of thinking was leading me to focus more on sending my weight into the ground, and trying to throw 100% from the start of the reachback, instead of me just setting myself up so that I could pull something heavy across the ground (pulling a dresser, DFD, etc.).

When I tried throwing powerfully like this, it felt like I was doing the x step, getting into a set up position, coming to almost a complete stop, and then throwing or pulling something heavy using my weight, with the power kind of building up from the start of the reachback to the hit, instead of me trying to pull my arm really fast from the back.

Let me know if this sounds right or makes sense, I will try and post a video soon to demonstrate what I think I mean.

I think I will try to record a don't spill the beverage a little later today if I have time, but I have been thinking a bit and wanted a spot check concept wise. I went out and threw some yesterday in a field ( I was going to play a round but there was an event going on so I let them be). I was trying to utilize the feel from the uppercuts and and make sure I was leaning over into kind of a hyzer angle instead of standing up perfectly straight when I think I had a realization.

If I'm right then there are two sort of intuitive parts to the throw. There is setting up on the right side, which I'm imagining as me trying to pull something heavy horizontally (IE Door frame drill) and that when I do an x step I have to set up in a final position where I can really pull that door frame and throw it down the field, and if I'm not balanced then there is no way I can put any real weight or power behind the pull.

The second aspect to the throw being trying to get into that set up position a little quicker, without going so fast that I lose balance and topple over. I noticed that when I was pretending I was pulling something heavy, I would go through my x step and then kind of wait at the very last bit for my body to kind of "fall" onto the right side and then I would initiate the throw. I think that if I can push off my left side toes and instep and get into the set up power pull position faster (still slow enough as to not lose balance that is), and THEN initiate the throw, then I would be putting more power in to the shot.

The reason I am posting this is that before I had been imagining my right side coming down, and crushing the can, as me kind of stomping a big button on the ground, and that was the start button for me to try and throw. I think this kind of thinking was leading me to focus more on sending my weight into the ground, and trying to throw 100% from the start of the reachback, instead of me just setting myself up so that I could pull something heavy across the ground (pulling a dresser, DFD, etc.).

When I tried throwing powerfully like this, it felt like I was doing the x step, getting into a set up position, coming to almost a complete stop, and then throwing or pulling something heavy using my weight, with the power kind of building up from the start of the reachback to the hit, instead of me trying to pull my arm really fast from the back.

Let me know if this sounds right or makes sense, I will try and post a video soon to demonstrate what I think I mean.
Correct, to Crush the Can and remain in balance to the finish of the throw you need to catch/settle yourself from gravity/falling and forward momentum with dynamic upright posture.

Stomping the Can with leg flexion and extension is no bueno, causes big bad jerk reaction force from the ground into one of your joints instead of transferring smoothly thru the whole body and out to the arm/disc.

Have a little more lateral movement of the spine/balance between the legs. You can see your right leg and foot really rotating as the heel comes down, because your spine and balance isn't landing on the leg first before rotation happens. On some of the motions you do land with a sideways right foot, rather than pre-rotating, but your left knee and femur are wanting to push and rotate around the right leg...to the left of it. Rather than the trailing knee moving toward and into the planting leg.

Basically it feels a bit more of a lateral between the feet/legs movement, and the upper body rotation happens after.

You are trying to rotate your lower body too much too fast and spinning out of leverage and hugging yourself as your arm is left/slacked behind your body rotation and centrifugal force. Note from frame 1 to 2 your pelvis has rotated 90 degrees or more and opened way up, I've only rotated like 45 degrees. Your rear heel has inverted and spun out around, while mine everted forward. In frame 1 you will see the mirror image with your front heel inverted and mine everted, also note how far your front femur rotated back it's inline with the rear femur so you are totally backwards to target and body largely back past your rear ankle. Note how my hips are forward of the rear ankle and my femurs are still inline to target somewhat so I'm making a more leveraged lateral move from the ground up and turning my hips back inside the rear foot.

Frame 2 to 3 is the release of the whip. Note how closed my shoulders are and wide upper arm with elbow leading forward. Your arm/elbow has no space or width away from your body as your pelvis is open.

Frame 4 shows the irony of how trying to rotate results in less rotation happening as a byproduct.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.31.51 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.31.51 AM copy.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts