• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-962Q9oZkEXJK7gVkR13jeFtPAmwumqc

Ok so here is me trying to do some eversion instead of inversion bug squishing stuff. I was really focused on moving my hips/spine weight laterally instead of spinning out really bad. looking back at the video I think my stance was a little wide, but I have found that when I keep my stance narrower its harder to keep myself from spinning. I'm sure some practice will help that though.

I have also found that timing my upper body with this to make it feel powerful is kind of difficult. Probably just the product of me improperly throwing for a very long time. I very much appreciate the side by side comparison shots, those really helped to demonstrate the lateral vs spin movement and I feel a little more confident at least in my understanding of it.

Let me know whatcha see!

A little better, but your feet and legs are still too over active/jumpy/jerky. You will see how much smoother/quieter my feet/legs are to send the torso into bigger rotation.

That is definitely better to me. What I think is happening though, is you are trying to power the movement by pushing with the rear leg, aka the "shifting in front". So what it looks like is your rear toes/foot is on the ground too late, and you are driving the motion forward aggressively trying to use that back leg to make a fast rotation. Where you should actually be creating a fast rotation from the front hip clearing. It won't seem like it can be as fast because you're not trying for it the same way, but the hips WILL snap open themselves.

Try standing on something like 3" high on your left leg. Balance on your left leg on this object or stair, and swing back. Then you will HAVE to drop into the plant leg before you swing. This way you can't push from the left foot like you are doing, and it will show you how to change your sequence...push/drop -> plant -> swing. What you are currently doing is push/plant together with no drop between them.

https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=199

Ok I'm trying not to be super excited right now, because if my track record is any indication then I'm probably still doing something wrong, but HOLY CRAP does this feel right.

I'm at the office and trying not to attract attention so I don't have a lot of room and I don't have a 3" thing to stand on, but in this video I tried to focus on two things:

SW in your don't spill the beverage video it doesn't look like you are pushing off the back leg. It looks like you are just moving left and right and you're kind of just letting the back leg hang there and letting your back toes sort of rest on the ground. I'm sure that biomechanically this isn't actually what is happening but that's what it looks like, just really smooth easy back and forth motion with your back foot resting. So I tried to simulate that to keep my feet quieter and less jerky, still while going for eversion instead of inversion.

SP after reading what you wrote I then started trying to intentionally pause for a second after planting and THEN let my arm throw forward. Like I said I don't have a thing to stand on and if you guys think I need to then I can do that when I get home. However the combination of trying to move slow and smooth and easy, and pausing a second before I let my arm throw forward created this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-AiAXseCt07BPaQBN93DN8hznRp1u5lM

At the start of the video I'm still letting my arm move and throw a bit too early and you can see that there isn't a lot of power behind it, but then once I start really pausing in between the plant and the throw (or the push and the throw) it feels like I'm barely moving and then right at the end my arm just sort of snaps forward magically. It feels like straight up magic. I had a few points in the past few months where this has happened, and then I'll try and add more to it and then I lose the effortless feeling again. This feels really really effortless again, and so I think I'm doing it right.

As always I may be completely off the mark once again, so let me know how I'm doing.

Way better!

Keep the torso and hips together, they will lag from each other enough. But the tempo of how you stride, plant/land, then arm is right, way better than before.

Because you had been pushing your shots from the rear leg, your head is still aligned to the left femur during the swing. So I would still try the plant from a few inches high drill, so that you feel that you have to land balanced on the right leg. This way your head won't come down overtop of the right leg, you'll want to land ready and set up for where the right leg is below you.

Actually, look at your throws that start the backswing at 0:32 and 0:34. Your head is nicely aligned to the plant leg and it looks very smooth. Then the very next throw at 0:37 your head is being pushed from the rear leg and you can see how the top of your head tilts forward and the head leads the throw, rather than landing with your spine and balance on the plant leg before you throw.

Hopefully this gives you something to aim for/reproduce since you've already felt this correct alignment.

Yeah, definitely on track with those.

Stop looking at the camera, and focus on the feel, and watch your thumb the entire throw, watch it point away from target in backswing and whip pointed at target - and then allow yourself to followthru rotationally/pivot to allow your arm to safely/smoothly decelerate more taut.

In the backswing you are still over shifting your pelvis behind your rear foot instead of bracing the rear hip forward the ankle and going more rotational. Make your shift more compact like an inch or two. This also goes along with SP recommending to raise the rear foot like CTC 2.

I'm still messing around with the feel of this. I'm trying to change things very slowly so I don't lose the effortless momentum feeling. I'm finding it difficult to shorten the weight shift itself without my feet feeling like they are going back into inversion as opposed to eversion. I also think its going to take a little time to readjust my head position. I can try and move it into what I think it should be like, but then I feel like I'm leaning backwards too much.

Regardless though this is me just swinging my trusty dumbbell bar around a bit. I can definitely feel myself getting my timing off at certain points and when I realize this I try and correct it, I know that a new feel is going to take some practice. I was also trying not to over shift in my backswing and I think I may have gotten the feel for that in a few of these swings, but I know that in most I was probably still doing it.

When I have some time I will try and find something to stand on. I figured I would have something around but I am having a little more difficulty than I thought lol, I would use my stairs but they make the camera angle hard. I did try it a few times despite not recording it though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-BQq8BzEJW1bOqx-xzBNgGjSrvL3arM6

You should be able to feel that effortless momentum without a weightshift... Standing on the swing set and pumping.

Your arm is too disconnected and whippy thru the finish and you can see all the recoil rattling in your arm because you have too much slack/not pulled taut. You should feel like you are being pulled thru into the finish rotationally from the momentum of the swing. You aren't getting pulled thru fully into the finish because of that disconnection.

Yep right direction. On your last X-step you can see how your plant foot drifts way to the left/toward the camera and your body kind of gets blocked out of the way. Keep the stride very in-line and under your body so you can land over the leg, maintaining that same between the feet shift feel you have when standing in place. In the standstill swings when you are over the plant leg, you can see how the plant foot stays firmly in the ground. On this X-step when you're way behind the heel, you can see how the toes lift so early in the swing.

Get your left elbow down to your left hip, so that the upper arm is by your torso before/as you swing forward. Right now the left arm is way out from the body and has a lot of rotational mass to deal with. At the beginning of the video you have it in close like you're holding a cup, but then the arm gets out wider and wider. It's ok to have the elbow in and let the left hand/forearm swing or swim downward as you release the right arm.

Well I've been throwing a bit in a field trying to keep this new feel of planting - pausing - and then throwing. My distance has dropped somewhat dramatically, I'm back down to like 250 - 270 where I was topping out at 350 before.

I'm not too concerned about this though as it feels like I'm relearning how to throw and also fighting muscle memory of my old throw. I'll post some videos of the new throws at some point soon. I have also been having some dull pain in my right ankle. This has been happening in the past 4 or so months after I throw a lot so I think I'm gonna rest it really good. Is this something that anyone else experiences or will learning to throw properly fix that? I know there aren't doctors on here and that nobody can say for sure unless I see one but does this sound familiar?

Definitely rest and video. I stress fractured my tibia from repeatedly "shifting from the front" instead of "from behind". You still aren't grasping that concept. One Leg Drill w/ a heel pivot should put the least amount of stress on the ankle.

Just watched your last vid... re: ankle pain - notice on your standstill, how you are pivoting on the toes so your heel/ankle are backing away from the target and your knee/weight goes over top it.

1. Your setup stance is way too wide. Your hips are moving laterally way too far back and forth without your foot moving/striding back and forth. If you setup that wide your front foot should stride away from the target in the backswing and plant into a narrower stance - this is a drill I've done - reverse stride.

2. Your rear arm is creating havoc. Your rear arm is closer to the target than your pelvis, so your hips are not leading your stride forward and rear arm/weight is reversing away from target and going away from your center. Keep your rear elbow next to your hip/close to center to rotate faster. Your rear elbow should never move away from the target. The rest of your body should move/swim forward of the rear arm.

3. Your stance is way too staggered in the x-step/not landing in dynamic upright balance on it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-RceTPk06sCVatcjBe0lZicIBvLT12NE

Ok so I lost a disc yesterday and went out to look for it, and figured I would try to get a quick one in. I'm really really trying to shift from behind in this video. I know that my disc angle was crap, and that my left arm was still over twisting me, but I can only focus on so much at a time.

As far as shifting from behind goes I'm trying to have my back facing the target as I'm planting, and then bring the throw around. When I was messing with this, it was really difficult to keep my rear foot oriented right, and it felt like I was pushing off my heel/ walking backwards almost, and I'm not quite sure how to address that.

If this isn't what shifting from behind is, then I truly do not grasp the concept, and need a different explanation of it, because I have watched the shawn clement video many many times at this point.

I have rewatched the Shawn Clement video again and he referenced the one leg drill as being really good for setting yourself up balance wise to begin shifting from behind properly (I think). I honestly never really understood this when I was doing the OLD videos in the past, and I think that this also lends to my lack of understanding regarding the shift from behind concept.

Given my ankle pain I think I am going to approach this from a different angle. I have decided to start back with the One leg drill for my practice throwing for now. I realized that I didn't spend very much time actually throwing a disc with the one leg drill and today in my office I practiced a throwing motion and found that I was (as was mentioned before) able to get the whip feeling in my arm without actually doing a weight shift.

I think I'm going to start posting vids of me throwing with the one leg drill until I have that down, and then slowly incorporate more forward momentum and steps while keeping everything in balance. I think this will be the best way to rebuild my throw.

That being said here is today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-RqPqeKJRWlJtinWy-wm2C-fFQs1CBGn

Not much to say here, just me trying to throw from the OLD. I did notice that my discs were flying way right of where I intended them to fly. I either need to change something with my upper body, or I need to adjust my entire mental line of play to be more right than I think it is. Let me know whatcha see!

Last edited:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-RceTPk06sCVatcjBe0lZicIBvLT12NE

Ok so I lost a disc yesterday and went out to look for it, and figured I would try to get a quick one in. I'm really really trying to shift from behind in this video. I know that my disc angle was crap, and that my left arm was still over twisting me, but I can only focus on so much at a time.

As far as shifting from behind goes I'm trying to have my back facing the target as I'm planting, and then bring the throw around. When I was messing with this, it was really difficult to keep my rear foot oriented right, and it felt like I was pushing off my heel/ walking backwards almost, and I'm not quite sure how to address that.

If this isn't what shifting from behind is, then I truly do not grasp the concept, and need a different explanation of it, because I have watched the shawn clement video many many times at this point.
You are over shifting and over turning away in the backswing. That means you have to start turning forward before you shift back forward. Your rear knee is further away from target than your ankle, so it's not bracing your backswing and your hips are moving away from target instead of making the forward move earlier in the backswing while still turning away. "The Real Top of the Backswing" is off in your throw and you are trying to make your weightshift like a 1' long instead of an 1" long. I would focus on making that 1" weightshift. (Might be a few inches in disc golf.) It looks like you are forcing your front heel down instead of falling via gravity/the rest of your weight. Try raising your rear foot up off the ground so you can't over shift in the backswing and fall more into the plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=3m18s

I have rewatched the Shawn Clement video again and he referenced the one leg drill as being really good for setting yourself up balance wise to begin shifting from behind properly (I think). I honestly never really understood this when I was doing the OLD videos in the past, and I think that this also lends to my lack of understanding regarding the shift from behind concept.

Given my ankle pain I think I am going to approach this from a different angle. I have decided to start back with the One leg drill for my practice throwing for now. I realized that I didn't spend very much time actually throwing a disc with the one leg drill and today in my office I practiced a throwing motion and found that I was (as was mentioned before) able to get the whip feeling in my arm without actually doing a weight shift.

I think I'm going to start posting vids of me throwing with the one leg drill until I have that down, and then slowly incorporate more forward momentum and steps while keeping everything in balance. I think this will be the best way to rebuild my throw.

That being said here is today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-RqPqeKJRWlJtinWy-wm2C-fFQs1CBGn

Not much to say here, just me trying to throw from the OLD. I did notice that my discs were flying way right of where I intended them to fly. I either need to change something with my upper body, or I need to adjust my entire mental line of play to be more right than I think it is. Let me know whatcha see!
You are taking the drill too literal and squatting way too much during the throw. Your rear arm is totally counter productive. Put your rear hand on your rear inner thigh and feel forward leverage from it, firm/solid rear side/post to reverse the swing forward. Push your hand from the thigh. Don't worry about weight going to the rear foot, just don't completely leave the front foot. Note how my whole body has swung back behind the front foot with the backswing so everything is swinging back together and leveraged forward of the rear foot. You are just spinning everything centered around the front foot, so there's no mass behind your swing. You are rotating much further around yourself, rather than swinging everything back and forth more like a pendulum. I don't advise your start with the static disc at the right pec and scissoring or unfolding the arm against the body. Swing the arm/disc like a big pendulum with the body.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 6.00.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 6.00.44 PM.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 48
And once again, you sir are a wizard.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-UvJxzPeH9UpM5lmgFoUQXhmu_Pt4fo7

I have been throwing a couple of practice swings in my bedroom and then here in my office. I started focusing on keeping my rear knee behind my rear foot, and for the first time I actually felt the pressure on the rear instep feeling that you talk about in your DFD vids, and that I've seen heavydisc talk about. Before my brain couldn't wrap around how a shorter weight shift would lead to more power, but I definitely feel that short explosive feel that you have mentioned before in this thread.

My office is a little small in the only area I can get my whole body in frame so I was a little pinched here, but I can say that I am definitely feeling the rear leg brace into the plant leg brace now.

I then tried to keep this feeling and do a couple of x steps this morning, and the x step made me completely lose that feeling of tension in my rear hip to push off of. Not sure how I'm going to incorporate an x step but I think that in the same vein of going back to basics, I'm going to just stop doing an x step for a while.

Yeah, your backswing looks much better there. I think you mean you are keeping your rear knee forward or inside of the foot. Now you need to mirror that on the plant side to clear your front hip.

Lol yes I did mean forward, not behind. So what do you mean by clearing the front hip though? When I think of clearing anything I think of the Shawn Clement video where he is talking about not letting your arms hit your body coming back down ( I think this was the "don't keep your head down" vid). On that line of thought clearing in my head means sort of rotating and turning out of the way, but I feel like bracing up against the right side would stop you from rotating more.

I of course understand that you have to brace against the right side, I just think that my understanding of clearing the front hip might be off. Or this will be another thing that once I do it, will make more sense.

Latest posts