• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

What I'm seeing, in your setup for the shot, is you are turning closed by balancing over the rear leg only, folded over it too, then moving laterally to the plant leg while still balanced over the rear leg. Try the door frame drill, linked in that thread, doing exactly as it says with those positions. You should feel how you can be centered ready to land on the plant leg while turning into the rear leg...your weight is trying to drop you to the plant, not balancing perfectly on the back leg. Hanging from the door frame will support you while you can be centered somewhere else in space.

1. I watched power of posture again and I can feel the torque/ resistance from rotating my hips against my femurs, while keeping my weight between my feet at shoulder width. What I don't quite understand is how I'm supposed to use that resistance to throw. I also understand that keeping my weight between my feet seems to be what keeps breaking down every time I actually throw (I think)

2. I also watched kicking the can and looking back at my video, I don't think I'm kicking the can quite right. Should I focus more on the x step kicking the can or the plant leg kicking the can? Or is the magic missing piece that you are supposed to be able to do both one right after the other?

3. My last question is regarding when my weight should transfer. From what I am gathering I basically should have all my weight against my right leg BEFORE I start turning to throw, and that what I am unintentionally doing is leaving some of that weigh on my back leg. Would going out and throwing using the one leg drill help me at this point, or do I need to nail down other stuff first?
1. It should be automatic like a rubber band. You are so far off balance/posture in the backswing that you aren't really loading, you are collapsing back over top the rear hip.

2. I would scrap the x-step, you are not ready. Focus on the kick into the plant and getting balanced on either leg, not between both legs. Backswing balance on rear leg, forward swing balance on front leg. You should be able to Kick the Can both ways in the throw.

3. Absolutely recommend One Leg Drill, less moving parts the better. you should feel very on top the front leg, like probably very weird on top of it. Gravity is what gives you weight, you have to work in rhythm with it. Even in One Leg Drill you should feel G-forces compressing you into the ground as you fall/squat into the transition and extend upright into the finish like standing on a swing and pumping it.

Try to keep your torso more connected, like shoulders to hips pretty connected through the core and always stacked upright. Let the pump you're doing pull you forward on top of the foot you're pumping with so you feel like your head is right over the foot...the shoulder in front will be past the foot even. Same thing rocking back. This tightness will keep your shoulders moving when your hips go, if you're too loose then you lose connection/X-factor.

Also your arm and shoulder are really loose so that the disc kind of comes forward and curls up and then you probably catch it with some tension near the hit point. If you do this with a hammer you'll probably feel it float on its own in front of you and then suddenly yank at your hand/wrist/arm near the hit point.

I have trouble with the arm too...but try keeping it much more taut and constantly able to influence the disc/hammer through your body. Not by telling your arm specifically but by moving your torso the arm moves and it immediately moves the disc without delay because it's always tight/lengthened.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BNoGC35eHf4jnNeWgLLqPhVRwqHZkpt2

Alright so here is where I'm at now. I'm focusing here on keeping everything tighter and faster. I tried to record this a few times but found that I was unconsciously opening into the plant again. I honestly might still be doing that, it's hard for me to tell but this throw I was focusing on trying to keep compact.

I think that I may have gotten the hang of it with this video because my throws were going about as far as they were before but with no x step. However I recognize that I am probably still doing a lot of things that could be fixed so just let me know what you guys see, I really appreciate the continued advice and help from everybody.

What I'm seeing, is you are balancing over/on the rear leg, turning back completely, and trying to maintain this turned back load while you move forward laterally and land on the plant.

Instead it should feel like you are more lateral but in a closed/diagonal stance, you load back onto the rear leg and use this to leverage your backswing back like in the hammer pump. And you move forward from the rear leg as you're still turning back...so you haven't reached full backswing while completely over the rear leg. Then when you land on the front leg you're at full backswing and can catch your weight and start the throw.

Try the door frame drill to feel how your balance will hang over your front foot/leg with the door frame holding you up, and the farther you get your weight forward to the front foot, in balance, the farther you can continue to turn back. You'll feel pressure through your rear leg and into the ground, but should not feel like you're pulling the door frame forward or down or anything...you should feel like you're hanging from it and turning farther and farther back.

One thing that really helped me feel it was a combo of the reciprocating dingle arm into throws.

Also doing my own sort of standstill arm whip into throw to feel the upper body completely loose

The forward arm pump really does wonders in timing the backswing. At least it has for me.

Maybe try swinging a hammer around and videoing that. If you reach back too early with the hammer, you will feel it yanking at your shoulder as you transition to the front leg.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B-RqQXSk0So7038uXnfmDxjzRfxQfq5U

Here is today's throw. I'm focusing here on trying to time my reachback with me starting to put weight on my plant leg. My throws were going a little farther so I think I'm getting better.

The door frame drill video definitely helped, especially talking about my left shoulder getting closer to the target than my right. I didn't realize that I was leaning more than twisting before.

As always let me know what you guys see. Thank you.

I like that better.

From what I know I think your rear leg is doing a good job getting your back hip toward the target on the backswing and it's releasing off the ground well. But you have it really straight with a locked out knee. The video below will show you the knee/instep move a bit more.

In your finish you have to jump back and left a bit, indicating that's where your body mass wanted to be during the throw. So perhaps you are closing your body too much with your plant step, or you are striding closed but moving your mass targetward instead of along your step to keep everything balanced.

Here is me attempting to press the gas pedal. I found that If I take a huge stride into my plant then I can't really do the gas pedal move as the huge stride forces my leg to extend.

I did notice however that my distance went down a bit and it didn't feel quite as powerful. I may not be doing the move quite right or this may just be that I need to practice a few more times.

On a side note I will admit that since throwing the hammer into my roommate's window I haven't actually thrown a hammer, and so tomorrow I may try and go out and do this since a lot of people were still suggesting it. Based on the video in this post though do you guys still think that it would help?

Thanks again and let me know what you see.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1frImlI2LTvg2v_uYFEW9yptvKHIJuph4

I like how the back knee has bend and the foot leaves the ground, so I think being aware of that gas pedal move helped.

But overall your form went back to folding over the back leg and you have a very long stride. So try to feel back to when you were more upright in the previous video.

You're essentially tipping the spine way back in the backswing, and then reaching very far forward with the plant leg so the front side opens before you plant.

And for visual reference for what SP just said, here's a comparison of you and Simon:

ZvKaGyR.png

Vk1Xyd5.png

Can you see how more upright his spine is? It will probably feel weird like you won't be able to get power, but try it out.

Yeah, same thing...
You really need to swing the front leg/hip further back away and tilt more, it will feel weird like your head/spine is really tipping over to the target to counter balance the leg swinging away. Then you can really swing front leg through with all your weight.

daAopJq.png

This is only swinging the leg instead of whole body:
OgBfP0u.png

Your rear foot is leaving/leveraging off the instep heel first so that is good, that gas pedal move/leave is right track.

But you are definitely shifting in front, pushing your left hip/knee and overall just left side of the body targetward in front of you/to the left of your spine or the brace leg.

You need to move laterally to the plant leg like in the kick the can drill and catch your weight just moving sideways. Don't think rotation. You need to turn back farther while moving forward, like in the door frame drill. Right now you're really thinking about rotating toward the target as you are getting ready to land, and pushing the body forward into the rotation.

You're super closed at the point when your front leg is lifted up and swung back, but as you move forward you open more and more. The pro's are set up kind of closed but keep turning back deeper until the plant leg hits.

Definitely right track. Keep exaggerating the leg swing back and tipping upper spine targetward to counter leg swing back and hold the foot back as your hips/butt/weight leads the stride. You are still leading the front foot of the hips/weight and opening up like SP said. Your plant is too far away from you and opening before any weightshifts, should be a shorter plant leg stride to catch you closed or from behind you/best downswing weightshift/crush the can, then you can rotate.

Today I was focusing on staying inside the brace instead of toppling over and outside of it. I believe I understand in theory why this channels more energy into the disc, but when actually trying to do this my shots were all over the place and dropped a good bit in distance. This may just be me getting used to a new way of throwing and I simply need practice but man does it feel wonky.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PGtQT1zUBe2yWIgbUWqfSW5TyEIICNkT

(The first drive I think I still shifted past the plant but the last two I was really focusing on staying inside my posture.)

I will also agree that I absolutely tend to rotate out to the left of my spine instead of driving the force laterally and then rotating at the last possible moment. However I find that I have no idea how to not rotate early/ out to the left like I have been doing. It's probably right in front of my face but I don't really feel like its clicking.

One other thing is about my rear leg. So I have been really trying to make that gas pedal move work, but I think it only happens when I'm really focusing on it, and I don't know if it is adding any power the way I am doing it. When exactly am I supposed to do that move? Right now my understanding of the order is:

swing leg backwards to tip spine and weight targetward

wait a moment for my weight to start moving targetward

swing plant leg towards target (kicking the can) to catch myself before I fall over

start gas pedal move
> (weight shifts here? maybe?)
land on toes

crush the can,

end gas pedal move

throw disc

The last three steps all happen in very very quick succession almost at the same time. This is what I have been imagining, however I recognize that this might also be breaking down and doing things out of order in my actual throw.

I'm hoping that something in the order there is not in the right place, and that whatever the out of order thing is is the piece I am missing or that isn't clicking. I also recognize that I might be completely off base with everything I am focusing on at the moment.

As always let me know whatcha see.

Feel the pump through your leg to power the hammer or a heavy lever through the bottom of the swing. Especially make sure you can do the elephant walk motion at 4:40. This shows that you land on the leading leg at the top/transition, pump DOWN and THROUGH the bottom of the arc, and feel the acceleration out. Then feel that same tempo in a normal stance.

The point of this is to show you how you need to be planted and have crushed the can in order to leverage through the power pocket. This will help you feel that you need to leave the rear foot early, and the way you leave the rear foot is off the instep. Basically if you feel how to leverage the object through the arc, by getting onto the plant leg before doing anything, you'll hopefully get off the rear side intuitively.

Latest posts