• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand why..

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
So I noticed Innova has launched the 4x Mcbeth Destroyer, cool right. So for 14.99 each
plus shipping at Discgolfvalues.com I can get as many as I want. Seems like a fair price. That's a better price than my local retailer for any disc they carry.

So what I find funny is the crazy prices people are asking and getting for these things. Help me understand this, am I missing something? The disc has the same flight numbers as a regular Destroyer from what I see. I don't image Innova tooled an new mold just for this disc. It appears the only difference from a stock Destroyer is the artwork which reflects Paul's name and I guess he gets a little from the sale of each disc which he has earned.

Well I am off to order 4 of them, not to sell but because I plan to throw them.

peeps are dumb. that's all I got'

**** isn't limited. its a fundraiser to support the most successful guy in DG.... lol'

"make money money take money money"

I've noticed with limited runs there are folks who get alerts and heads up when they will be released... they gobble up all they can at normal prices until the run is out of stock... then turn around and sell it on ebay or where ever for 3x,4x,5x,6x the price or even more.

This one isn't a limited run though so I'm thinking they just don't know... *shrug*

a-fool-and-his-money.jpg

Everyone seems to hunt down the 11x teebirds,Firebird, etc. I've always thought it was because secretly people are hoping it will be one of those legendary molds that they will some day sell for over 100 dollars. But over paying right now? That's strange

People have been putting stock Avery Destroyers, Mcpro Aviars and roc3, champion gators with no special characteristics (such as pearly stiff swirly American flag or cool colored stamps) that are in stock/easily bought at retail pricing on the Facebook pages and they still sell for strangely high prices.

I bought a bunch of the new McBeth destroyers and luckily got some American flag stamps and pearly and stiff. I knew I could probably get at least $10 profit for each one so decided to sell off enough to make my order (which included other discs) free.

Well these are 1st run. Theyll be sought after someday. So people collect all the cool colors and plan to sell them like later as a collector.

Same as the roc3. People sell them for crazy money when its a 1x and awesome looking.

I dont understand why people buy them, personally i wont spend more then $20-$25 ON a collector disc. I like having retired mold ace discs and broken discs on my wall so everybody is different i guess. Who am i to say they cant spend crazy money on facebook when they could likely communicate with a shop and find same one for a regular price?

Well these are 1st run. Theyll be sought after someday. So people collect all the cool colors and plan to sell them like later as a collector.

Same as the roc3. People sell them for crazy money when its a 1x and awesome looking.

I dont understand why people buy them, personally i wont spend more then $20-$25 ON a collector disc. I like having retired mold ace discs and broken discs on my wall so everybody is different i guess. Who am i to say they cant spend crazy money on facebook when they could likely communicate with a shop and find same one for a regular price?

Yeah I go to the auction sites looking for the more normal discs that slip through the cracks while people are going nuts for "collector" discs. There are a few that I can see why people pay good money for but most just overpay for normal discs like McBeth Destroyers and early run Roc3s(imo). I have gotten really decent prices on discs doing this like Champ Teebirds and Thunderbirds for $10 or less.

The extra cost directly equates to farther distance and greater accuracy. Duh.

The extra cost directly equates to farther distance and greater accuracy. Duh.

:D:clap:

Collector's markets by nature are arbitrary. Current value is a function of who values what at any given time. Being a good predictor of such things makes a very small percentage of people a varying degree of money.

If it doesn't have personal sentimental connection for me, any item is only as valuable as what it would take to replace it with a comparable alternative. Especially something that I might inadvertently throw in a lake :D

Collector's markets by nature are arbitrary. Current value is a function of who values what at any given time. Being a good predictor of such things makes a very small percentage of people a varying degree of money.

:clap::thmbup::clap:

very well said!

I've noticed with limited runs there are folks who get alerts and heads up when they will be released... they gobble up all they can at normal prices until the run is out of stock... then turn around and sell it on ebay or where ever for 3x,4x,5x,6x the price or even more.

This happens a lot too. There is no way to pay "retail" for something if all the "collectors" get everything first. Then you have to pay the inflated price if you want one.

People also do strange things for anything with paul mcbeth's name on it these days.

I understand what you're referring to, but no...these are not first runs. FR Destroyers are from 2008. Yes these are the first 4x McBeth's produced but that does NOT make them first run anything:wall:

A fool and their money Innova guys and their money . . .

I understand what you're referring to, but no...these are not first runs. FR Destroyers are from 2008. Yes these are the first 4x McBeth's produced but that does NOT make them first run anything:wall:

A fool and their money Innova guys and their money . . .

yeah, I don't get it either... these are not first run like grip says... why would anyone pay over retail for these? the stamp changed and that's it as for as I can tell...

hmmm... and to top it off they are still available at retail cost

Collecting is for anyone with $$.
Profitable speculating is for people with brains. You have to know the market when to jump on something.
If someone wants to buy these at retail and sell them for gain, I say more power to him/her.
As for the people who are buying at elevated prices, collecting is for anyone with $$.

Collecting is for anyone with $$.
Profitable speculating is for people with brains. You have to know the market when to jump on something.
If someone wants to buy these at retail and sell them for gain, I say more power to him/her.
As for the people who are buying at elevated prices, collecting is for anyone with $$.

To me it is pure laziness if people buy a disc at a high markup if it is still available at retail. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it takes less than 20 seconds to do a google search. Anyone who is willing to do this, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would love to show them.

Current value is a function of who values what at any given time. Being a good predictor of such things makes a very small percentage of people a varying degree of money.

Ha. These people you speak of--I assume that a varying percentage of them made their fortune in frisbee arbitrage?

People have been putting stock Avery Destroyers, Mcpro Aviars and roc3, champion gators with no special characteristics (such as pearly stiff swirly American flag or cool colored stamps) that are in stock/easily bought at retail pricing on the Facebook pages and they still sell for strangely high prices.

I bought a bunch of the new McBeth destroyers and luckily got some American flag stamps and pearly and stiff. I knew I could probably get at least $10 profit for each one so decided to sell off enough to make my order (which included other discs) free.

The Facebook group is just odd. Put a pic of a pot leaf on a disc and it sells no matter how terrible it looks.