• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I have issues.....

Cnote

Par Member
Quick question.... I am left handed, but primarily throw RHBH. I also have a pretty good forehand but I throw LHFH.....so I always get the same fade to the left. I have tried to throw RHFH but I suck and it just feels wrong. I have been able to "deal with my dealtness" while on the course, but I was hoping maybe someone had some ideas.

Cnote

Man, what an odd problem to have. I believe what you want to do is to try to throw with more anhyzer (someone correct me if I goof up my terms here). I have an Avenger SS in FLX plastic that goes exactly where I tell it to, so I can throw RHBH and give it a good anhyzer and it will hold that curve to the right. I believe what you may want to try would be throwing a more understable disc for this type of shot.

EASY

Just practice LHBH and you will get a right hand fade. I have learned you are only given one natural throw, if you are lucky. Everything else you have to teach your muscles to perform. It just takes time and practice.

So you want a shot to finish right or you do you want advice on a RHFH? Waynewf is correct that you could put some anhyzer on a RHBH shot to finish right. I have a champ leopard that if I release it flat, I can pretty consistently get it to turn over right.

Your terms are correct Way. However I would suggest not changing disc yet Cnote. Try to make what disc you have work that way first. Dont get caught up in the buy a disc and hate it just cause you are throwing incorrectly.

I have this same issue too, but in reverse. I drive LHBH, have a good RHFH, my LHFH is worse than my sisters, and I putt RH. There is another thread about this, and believe it or not there are more people with this issue that you might think.

I did learn to throw RHBH while recovering from left shoulder surgery. I have the same D either way, but no consistency/accuracy with my RHBH. But that would come with practice/repitition. So, that is my main idea.

I was also going to suggest what waynewf suggested - learn a good anhyzer. I suggest using a midrange since they do not have as much low speed fade as drivers. I use a beat-in Roc, but you could more easily use a naturally understable mid (Skeeter, Panther, Wolf, Breeeze, etc).

Your terms are correct Way. However I would suggest not changing disc yet Cnote. Try to make what disc you have work that way first. Dont get caught up in the buy a disc and hate it just cause you are throwing incorrectly.

Of course you're totally right on this one! I'm just one of those guys who is always trying out new discs and wants to see what different things do...that being said, I generally do play better when I just cool it and don't change up anything in my bag for a couple of months...although floaters may go in or out depending on the course.

Cnote, I'm in exactly the same situation you're in here. Left-handed, throw RHBH or LHFH. Here's my work-arounds:

1) Annie drives: I find that given the correct disc (Stratus, Stingray, etc.) you can control this shot easily by monitoring the angle that the disc takes when it crosses your palm, prior to throwing. What I do is rotate the disc clockwise against my palm just a skosh and then angle the disc downward from the wrist so it doesn't go nose-up. Works like a charm.

2) Approaches: I find that most mid-distance approach shots yield to a LHFH flick, which for me is extremely accurate for some reason. If I pay attention to the release angle, I can flick LHFH on a hyzer, straight, or annie line at will. Longer approach shots I tend to throw RHBH.

The only thing I find impossible is an overhand shot, which I've tried exactly once and just about wrecked my shoulder. For me that would have to be a LH throw - anybody know a good way to learn it without causing body damage?

Thanks for all the replies. I do have a pretty good anhyzer with my 150g sidewinder....the main problem is the long narrow fairways where you need to fade right at the end. I think I will practice my LHBH and see how I do with that.
@dave242: it is good to know I am not alone and also good to know it is possible to learn a different throw. I guess it just come down to practice.
Good thing I live on a golf course (ball golf) so I have a nice area to practice all I want at sundown and between golfers.

@bazillion: Good tips. I also find my LHFH flick is very accurate too, and it takes very little effort, plus you can be in some very strange position in a bush/behind a tree and still get a nice shot.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have a pretty good anhyzer with my 150g sidewinder....the main problem is the long narrow fairways where you need to fade right at the end. I think I will practice my LHBH and see how I do with that.
While that's possilble RHBH and it's a shot I'd recommend working on, it's a lot easier to get that line LHBH or RHFH.

Cnote: I have several friends that throw in this manner. They were baseball players most of their life and it felt more natural to throw with their opposite hand because they felt they were doing a similar motion of facing the pitcher and following thru with a baseball swing. They throw with their dominant arm when throwing forehands because it feels like the same motion of throwing a baseball. I personally see no problem with this as long as you can work your disc.

Some people say, 'well if you throw left handed then you don't need a RHFH'...which is totally wrong...they are completely different shots...and I don't have time to explain the nuances of those but just remember they are used for different shots.

I started out as RHFH only and gradually learned RHBH...now I will throw a high turn over Comet on some holes..and throw a predator forehand on others..depending on the hole.

You can throw annies fore hand too, I recommend a Monarch.

Interesting I once played with a kid who was righty and threw rhbh...He was thin but was a baseball player.....thus his natural whip motion while batting coincided with a rHBH throw and being righty his fine motor control muscles in his hand allowed for amazing control....Lets just say he was freaky good....you may have an advantage if you think about it!

I am a lefty but drive RHBH have no RHFH also putt LHBH I found this to be a more comfortable way to throw. As Far as the long narrow shot with a right finish I would use either a Sidewinder or
FLX Avenger SS. I can get these to either just stop with little to no fade. watch your nose angle when throwing RHBH annies that helped me alot.

Nose angle down on the annie I imagine?

Yeah I am a mess. I do everything left handed (throw a ball, tennis, kicking, writing). The only right handed things I do is throw a disc and play a guitar (if I played).

Nose angle down on the annie I imagine?

Yeah I am a mess. I do everything left handed (throw a ball, tennis, kicking, writing). The only right handed things I do is throw a disc and play a guitar (if I played).

I guess this directed at me? Generally yeah, nose down always. It depends a little on what you want to annie the Monarch for, though. If you want distance off your side arm, I'd flick it with a bunch of hyzer to flip it flat and eventually turn over and not fade back. It's an easy disc to hyzer flip and generally when I flip it, it will sail straight for ~100' than lazily turn to the right (RHBH) and won't fight the fade at all. So that would work great for subtle dog leg lefts for you I think. You might want to get a disc that isn't quite so under stable for that purpose though b/c Monarch's are really flippy for flicking.

But what I love to do when flicking a Monarch is to gently throw it flat or slightly anny but release it high and let it s-curve (great get out of rough shot when you're stuck on the left side of the fairway with no direct line).

I've been using a leopard and beast for my forhand hyzer shots. They worl well and you don't have to oerthrow the disc.

I just tried out a Monarch and roadrunner today and really see the possibilities of both discs for RHFH anhyzer shots. The Roadrunner really impressed me with the speed and accurancy of the disc. It's going in the bag for sure.