• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I havn't played in a month

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I just realized that I haven't played since Memorial Day. The strange thing is , that I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I have played almost every week for 3 years straight, so this is the longest I have ever taken off. Feels pretty damn good to be honest. I don't look at fields anymore and dream of putting a course out there. I don't worry about what the weather is going to be like this weekend. Its actually a nice break.

I sometimes used to feel trapped with all my thoughts being about disc golf. I have been going through some tough times and I used disc golf as my drug of choice, since I don't drink or do anything else. That is why I played so much. I think the turning point was during my vacation, I played twice a day for 4 days straight, and I got dehydrated, and I got very sick for about a month. That was a real wake up call for me. I realized that I need to take better care of my health, mentally and physical. I had never been that sick before ,and it was a real wake up call.

I now view disc golf as something fun to do , and if I get to fine, and if not, well, I am not going to loose any sleep over it, like I used to. Its a fun game, but its not my life. I have also decided not to play in any tournaments till next May. My home course is having a tournament in August, and I am usually happy about this, but this year, I really don't care. After being that sick, something inside of me really changed.

I enjoy hanging out here, and reading some of the forums, but I am not going to post as much as usual either. Somethings I just don't care to comment on anymore. My spirit for the game is just not there like it used to be. Oh well, I will still have fun playing, just not as much as I used to. Like I said, I don't know when I am even going to play again. I know for sure I am not playing this weekend. I am still practicing , but playing is another story. I am not sure why, but it seems like my fire is going out.

I sort of know where you're coming from. Last weekend I went out all day and didnt eat before hand and my water ran out quick. The end of the day I was thirsty as hell and light headed and felt like crap and didnt get to eat until around 7 PM. I still want to play this weekend but it hasnt been killing me through the week in between like normal.

A break won't hurt you. But don't just sit around the house. Get out and walk, bike or something to keep your fitness at a decent level. I know it's hot as heck down there in the summer, but you should find something to keep yourself healthy even if you're not playing. It will not only help keep you alive, but when or if you start playing again, it will help you get throwing well again, quicker.

A break won't hurt you. But don't just sit around the house. Get out and walk, bike or something to keep your fitness at a decent level. I know it's hot as heck down there in the summer, but you should find something to keep yourself healthy even if you're not playing. It will not only help keep you alive, but when or if you start playing again, it will help you get throwing well again, quicker.

That is one thing I have been getting back into is my walking and exercising I have a Bow flex that I hit 3 times a week, and I live across the street from a park that has 2 miles of walking trails. I am only doing a few miles a week right now, but my goal is to do at least 10 miles a week.

:(

Midnight, taking a break is probably for the best, from what you describe.

We miss ya buddy, but you gotta do what's best for you and your family.

I took a month off from Cinco de Drinko until last week. Didn't even realize it until I went and played.... Oh, and I can't find my putter. Think I forgot it at the beach :(

I hear ya as well, I feel like I've been on a break from it. I haven't been playing as much myself. My Practice field is now covered in un-manicured grass that stands about 4ft high. I'm tired of the long drives, and plus. It's hot and humid as hell! It does make you appreciate the sport though. Of course, once we get our new course in, that will probably all change! lol It will be a somewhat short drive!

Sheeeeit man....I haven't played in two months now with another month or two to go. :wall:

surf season coming soon, i wont be playin much then

I'm in the same boat due to an injury, and I fear that by the time I get back to having responsibility my love for the game (playing everyday or just about) will either be gone or I just won't have time to play.

And on the other extreme of the spectrum, so far, I have played at least one round every day this month. Another week and I will have played every day in June. This is surprisingly hard to accomplish, but it's looking good this month.

It comes and goes Midnight.

1988 to perhaps 1992 I played occasionally. I enjoyed it, but it was still just a social pastime.

1992 to 2000 - I became a maniac for it. Disc reigned supreme. I still think this is when I was best. My Cyclone/Roc/Aviar combo was in effect.

2000 to 2007 - not so much. I still played every year, but only in the warmer months and even then I skipped weeks at a time, usually only playing a round (or two tops) before packing it in. Family and career took over entirely (not that this is a bad thing).

In the summer of 2008 something clicked. It was like I discovered the sport all over again. I started playing with the kind of passion I had a in my early 20's. I'm actually more involved now than ever.

I reckon through all that, I'm really just trying to say...you'll be back...

Guys...take care of yourselves. You cannot get that dehydrated man, it is hell. I used to work in the engine room of an aircraft carrier and when we were in the gulf it was 130 degrees down there "in the shade" there were actually places 150-170 degrees.

I would drink gallons of hot water (sea water temp is 110 degrees so that is your coolest water) and sometimes still not feel good. One time I got some serious diarrhea and could not stay hydrated and ended up in medical with an IV...no fun.

Things I learned...when your sweat starts tasting sweet it is too late, don't get there.

How about some new scenery? Like when you're in the Cumberland, MD area, look me up. :)

Seriously, though, enjoy the time off. I hope that you come back refreshed and better than ever.

Latest posts