• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I met a Par loving dufus

My group uses par 3 for scoring on all the courses around here, even the very few that have par as 2, 4, or 5. Because I've gotten so awesome I'm considering switching to using par as 2 for easier informal score recording.

Guy - "Shot an 80 the other day"
Me - "Wow! You suck"
Guy - "It was 24 holes at Idlewild"
Me - "I guess par does matter"

If he's speaking in the language of those for which "par does matter" shooting an 80 through 24 holes implies an average score of 6 and 1/3 per hole and I agree, Wow, that guy sucks!

Now if Guy is talking stroke play an 80 through 24 holes at Idlewild is pretty awesome regardless of whatever par values were assigned to the holes.

The first time I played was at Earlewood (which is a pitch and putt essentially) and when we arrived at hole #3 tee I noticed it was around 300' and noted as a par 5. When my friend took a 3 I said, congrats on the eagle and he just laughed saying 95% of holes in dg where par 3s and the par was marked incorrectly.

Earlewood is NOT a pitch and putt.

Guy - "Shot an 80 the other day"
Me - "Wow! You suck"
Guy - "It was 24 holes at Idlewild"
Me - "I guess par does matter"

Fine, let's redo that discussion with assigned par values...

Guy - I shot a -10 the other day!
Me- Wow! That's great!
Guy - Yeah! I shot it in Texas...
Me- Oh, where everyone inflates par because the net talent pool is poor? You must not actually be very good...

I believe it now applies to missed holes at any point in a round.

Pretty sure this is incorrect David. The penalty is only for missed holes to begin the round. You cannot take a break in the middle and skip 3 holes for par+4 penalty and resume play. I think you DQ after starting if you cannot finish.

And while I've only been playing for 4 years, it takes two hands to count the number of times I've come across this type of penalty. Some famous ones mentioned already, but I've seen and been on cards with several others... but I play a lot of tournaments too.

And for par in general, at the new course I helped design in Holts Summit, MO, the tee signs have Advanced and Recreation par noted... wouldn't be different for tournament play obviously, but for the casual beginner, it's a nice touch.

As a long time ball golfer, I played many courses where the a long par 4 for the men was listed at a par 5 for the ladies.

Pretty sure this is incorrect David. The penalty is only for missed holes to begin the round. You cannot take a break in the middle and skip 3 holes for par+4 penalty and resume play. I think you DQ after starting if you cannot finish.

And while I've only been playing for 4 years, it takes two hands to count the number of times I've come across this type of penalty. Some famous ones mentioned already, but I've seen and been on cards with several others... but I play a lot of tournaments too.

No, the same penalty applies:
803.03 Misplay
G. Types of misplay:
6. Omitted Hole. The round has been completed, and the player has neglected to play a hole. The hole is scored the same as a hole missed due to late arrival.

If you intentionally miss a hole for competitive advantage, then yes, you can be DQ'd.

I score my game by throws. I also compare my score against par for a course. I find value in both. So, I guess that makes me a throw-counting nitwit and a par-loving dufus.

And for par in general, at the new course I helped design in Holts Summit, MO, the tee signs have Advanced and Recreation par noted... wouldn't be different for tournament play obviously, but for the casual beginner, it's a nice touch.

As a long time ball golfer, I played many courses where the a long par 4 for the men was listed at a par 5 for the ladies.

Is that from the same tee? What's the Intermediate and Open pars? Par should be par!! Which in my opinion should be what a 1000 rated player would score.

Has anyone ever seen this at a regular golf course? Or ever heard someone say they quite playing golf because they couldn't make par?

Why do we think we have to make beginners feel good? What's next handing out free trophies?

Is that from the same tee? What's the Intermediate and Open pars? Par should be par!! Which in my opinion should be what a 1000 rated player would score.

Has anyone ever seen this at a regular golf course? Or ever heard someone say they quite playing golf because they couldn't make par?

Why do we think we have to make beginners feel good? What's next handing out free trophies?

Most ball golf courses have multiple tees designed for each particular skill level.

Most ball golf courses have multiple tees designed for each particular skill level.
Some disc courses as well. I will use Lochness Park DGC In Blaine as an example.

qrnh3t.jpg

As you can see, it accommodates all skill levels fairly well. And yes, I play all par 3s hahahaha, as do most of the people I know.

Last edited:
Par for each skill level is a concept that a lot of disc golfers either don't like or don't understand...(or both)

Getting everybody on the same page has been a struggle. Different designers/regions and players do their own thing (not because its right or wrong, but because its the best they can come up with).

Same tees... just different par for skill levels.

Yes, I already mentioned that ladied teeing from even further up than men often have higher par on same hole in ball golf.

And in the US Open, the USGA will almost always take 2 of the regular Par 5 holes and make them Par 4 for a net total of 70... just to make the pros feel bad I guess because in the end, total score wins.

So yeah, I'm par lover and I also am smart enough to know that total score wins. I even add my score card up based on par 3 for every hole, but when I post my results for my fans on social media, I reference my score relative to course par as that makes the most sense to the general public.

If he's speaking in the language of those for which "par does matter" shooting an 80 through 24 holes implies an average score of 3 and 1/3 per hole and I agree, Wow, that guy sucks!

Now if Guy is talking stroke play an 80 through 24 holes at Idlewild is pretty awesome regardless of whatever par values were assigned to the holes.

Precisely. using absolute numbers or +/- relative to par are both largely useless without some knowledge of the course. However, if the guy says "I shot a 975 rated round at idlewild" I know generally how good that is relative to other rounds. If the guy references a course I'm not familiar with, the round rating still is a good point of reference.

The signs sound nice. Did you make any of the holes par 2 for advanced players?

I'm also a LTBG and worked at a club with different par values for men and women on a couple of holes. It was necessary because we couldn't easily put another tee far enough forward. That's one of the main reasons par is awkward in disc golf for individual holes. The SSA is essentially course par.

Over 45 years of playing ball golf, I have actually played with several people who quit playing because they believed they couldn't break certain scoring barriers. And, they were almost always in relation to par.

One of the things I like most about disc golf is you so rarely see people who are unhappy about playing. In ball golf it's quite common to encounter players who just seem miserable after playing. I've heard dozens of ball golfers declare after a round that they are giving up the game. I can't recall ever hearing that from a disc golfer...

Over 45 years of playing ball golf, I have actually played with several people who quit playing because they believed they couldn't break certain scoring barriers. And, they were almost always in relation to par.

One of the things I like most about disc golf is you so rarely see people who are unhappy about playing. In ball golf it's quite common to encounter players who just seem miserable after playing. I've heard dozens of ball golfers declare after a round that they are giving up the game. I can't recall ever hearing that from a disc golfer...

I thought that declaring one would never play golf again as the round finishes up was the standard custom, like declaring "Checkmate" in chess, or Uno! in that one card game they say uno a lot in