• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I thought that thread read "infamous hotels" not holes

Matthew boals

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So on your DG road trip do you stay in mom & pop motels or national Hotel chains? Best "bang for your buck" hotels/motels? Or most dangerous?

There was this hotel in the town where I grew up that used to get their chicken from a local egg farm. The egg farm would sell the hotel the chickens that had died from cancer due to chemicals in their feed. The hotel was owned by a local bigwig so it went on for years without anybody saying boo. No DG in evidence, but it does belong in the "infamous hotels" thread ...

Ha ha - I just realized that my sig line is appropriate to this post :D

Couches, floor space, or tent sites.

I'd love to see this site house this kind of information in relation to courses. It would drive more pros to the site making it easier on the bank account to tour. It would also be a valuable asset to the newer players looking to do recreational disc golf road trips. The feature would be similar to a course guide but could indicate proximity to the course, what type of sleeping accommodations are available and a way to get in touch for coordination.

There are tons of people out there willing to open their doors to other golfers for a night.

My sister works for Marriott resorts, and I can get $39 rooms at most any Renaissance Plazas, Courtyard, etc. Makes vacations sooo much more affordable :)

My wife works for a large hotel chain, so I get to stay for a very cheap price. Most of the rooms I get to stay in go for $120-$150 a night, and I only pay $40 a night. I love that she works for them. I also get a friends a family discount for friends, so if you are ever coming to the Houston area to play, contact me, and I will hook you up.

My sister works for Marriott resorts, and I can get $39 rooms at most any Renaissance Plazas, Courtyard, etc. Makes vacations sooo much more affordable :)

Ditto for me, only I work for Hilton. I always stay at a Homewoods Suites. All are relatively new (I think the brand is only 5 years old), great suites, etc. Can't beat that for $40. Usually have other travellers with me, which makes it even more economical.

My gf and I camp whenever possible, it's cheaper and campgrounds never mind us having our dog along. If we have to stay in a hotel, we tend to find the cheapest possible, though we do stay away from the really seedy looking ones. It helps that if we do stay in a hotel it's usually off-season (we always camp in nice weather) so they're even cheaper.

I would hope by now the people at Motel 6 know me by name. Granted, there are a few of their locations that I'll say "never again" to. The newer interior corridor ones aren't bad for the money.

I'd consider camping more often if I had a van. The freak violent weather around these parts doesn't help much with that either.

My cousin has used websites like couchsurfing.org to travel across the states. It's pretty cool, people offer their couches for travelers to sleep on. My first reaction was bad, sleeping at strangers homes didn't seem right, but I guess there's just as much risk opening your home to a stranger as well for the night.