• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideas for disc expansion

LauraW

Hello everyone!

I am very new to the sport and this website, apologies if posting this in the wrong forum.
My husband has gotten very into the sport and we enjoy playing different courses together. I want to get him a few new discs, but I am unsure what is missing in his bag. I have tried reading the different posts on this website as well as watching youtube videos trying to educate myself. But seeing as I am quite new to it all and the lingo, it has proven difficult. I am hoping someone here can help. I have no idea if anyone can advise me, when only knowing his discs and not his style as a player, but I thought I would give it a try.
Here's his current collection:

Putters:
Westside Discs, BT Soft Crown
Latitude 64, Pure Gold DecoDye Super Swirl - Gold

Drivers:
Discraft, Z Crank
Discraft, Z-line Avenger SS

Mids:
Latitude64, Retro Fuse
Discraft, Hornet

Thanks in advance!

I want to get him a few new discs, but I am unsure what is missing in his bag.

Hi Laura, welcome to the site!

If your hubby is happy with the discs he is throwing, you can always get him backups for his existing discs. Backups might be greatly appreciated if/when he loses a disc.

You could also try getting him discs he already throws in different plastics. For example:

Z/Champion/Opto (clear-ish, hard plastic) are often more stable (harder to turn);

Star/Gold Line/ESP (opaque durable plastic) may be easier to grip than Z/Champ/Opto; and

Baseline plastics (X/Pro/BT) wear more quickly and become less stable over time (easier to turn, often with more glide).

Last suggestion: You can always get him a few back-ups for his putting putter. Never hurts to have more putters to practice with!

If its a Surprise for him i would stick with same mould.

Same disc in a different plastic with fly differently.

Lots of cool plastics and colors out there in all those moulds.

I don't know your husband, but I am always up for trying new things. If my wife got me discs I had never tried then I would be excited to throw them to see how I liked them.

Hard to make recommendations not knowing anything about him or his game.

A few that I would recommend that I think anybody can throw well and enjoy...

Westside Warship (mid)

Axiom Envy (putter but probably better for throwing off the tee or approach shots than actually putting)

Discmania FD (fairway driver. Everyone needs an easy to throw fairway disc and this is my favorite)

Or maybe something cool and unique that he would appreciate. I have a Felon that I had made with a picture of me and my wife on it. You can order stuff like this straight from Dynamic Discs on their website. You just upload a photo and they make the disc for you. Only takes a few days and it will be on your doorstep.

Sticking to the brands he already seems to like, and covering shots and speeds he doesn't already have:
Mids: Discraft Buzzz
Fairway drivers: Lat 64 XXX or Discraft Predator, Lat 64 Explorer, Lat 64 River

I like small bags and I think your husband has a wonderful one. It has everything one needs to cover all shots. It would be a bit sad if it get's cluttered with discs he doesn't really need. Then the simplicity of his bag would be lost.

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem for you finding a gift for him.

What does make sense are multiples of his putting putter for practice. Try to find most similar ones (same plastic, same weight).

Or buy some nice looking discs for him to hang on the wall. ;-)

Maybe rather think about a practice basket for the backyard? Or a surpise daytrip (all organized by you) to a great course you've not played yet.

Hello everyone!

I am very new to the sport and this website, apologies if posting this in the wrong forum.
Here's his current collection:

Putters:
Westside Discs, BT Soft Crown
Latitude 64, Pure Gold DecoDye Super Swirl - Gold

Drivers:
Discraft, Z Crank
Discraft, Z-line Avenger SS

Mids:
Latitude64, Retro Fuse
Discraft, Hornet

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to DGCR.

Putters are a personal thing, so I won't make any suggestions on that. If he finds something that works for him, stick with it!

The Hornet is a great disc, but was taken out of production (OOP), so either stock up or realize that he might have to find a replacement. There's tons of ideas on the best mids in the Discs section. My own recommendation is that he try a Discraft Buzzz.

The Lat64 River is a popular and excellent fairway driver mold, as well.

It looks like he needs some fairway drivers.

Innova Leopard in Pro plastic at 165-170 grams.
Innova Teebird in Star or Champion plastic at 165-170 grams.