• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild trip

DirtyMittenDG

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Ok, so in a couple weeks im making a short trip to the great idlewild (assuming the weathers good). Burlington is 5 1/2 hours away from my house, so we'll proly leave at like 4 or 5 a.m. and play all day, then stay the night and play till dark the next day and drive home.

So what other courses should I play?? So far I was thinking "Pride Park" (Im a fan of short tech courses), "Lincoln Ridge", maybe.... "Woodland mound park"???, "A.J. Jolly park"?????, "Mt. Airy Forest"?????, "Winton Woods"????, "Sycamore Trails DGC"????

Im 100% sure gonna hit up idlewild, lincoln ridge, and pride park. But whats good with the other courses???

I would say hit lincoln ridge and mt. airy for sure. make sure you read the reviews for mt. airy though because 2 baskets were removed and replaced but dont have tee signs. And maybe aj jolly if you still have time. i would stay away from woodland mound and winton woods. They are both short and not very technical. i have never been to pride park, but according to the reviews it is way overgrown and not well maintained.
Now, onto hotels. I work at a marriott and i dont know of too many hotels right in the immediate area of idlewild, but there are plenty just a few miles north in covington. And your best bet is to use priceline or expedia, they normally have pretty good deals. Weekend rates are always cheaper too(unless you want a resort but im guessing not)

Banklick (Lincoln Ridge) is nice, I've been there twice without knowing about Idlewild years ago. Mt Airy is very good also, I'd skip Winton Woods.

There are alot of hotels near the airport, they will be the closest to idlewild. I think there is a tourny on april 11 at idle wild not sure if that effects your plans.

I don't know where you have gotten your information, but you definitely need to pass on Pride Park. it is not worth a stop...at all. Period. End of discussion. The best courses in that area are Idlewild, Lincoln whatever (It is still Banklick to me), and Mt Airy. The second tier consists of AJ Jolly and the course at Miami of Ohio University. That course is really solid. I would steer clear of Winton Woods if you are trying to add quality courses. It can be fun but most holes are only 100-175 feet.

Again, I say this with all sincerity, you will do yourself a favor by skipping Pride Park. It is poorly kept and if there has been any recent rain it may be downright dangerous. The first 3 holes are very picturesque but once that course hits the woods it is more of a chore than enjoyment.

Last time we went to the area we stayed in Florence Kentucky at the Red Roof Inn. It was reasonable and there was a Tumbleweed restaurant beside it. In that area there are many restaurants though. It is really close to Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge. Also, if you are in Florence Kentucky, stop by Disc n Dat. Those guys are awesome and they have a great selection of discs. It is about a mile from the Red Roof if I remember correctly.

KY State singlesThis is on the april 11th so you can plan accordingly. I live about 5 minutes from idlewild and your best bet for a hotel would probably be in florence. I think the airport hotels can be pricey just because they are near the airport.

Definitely stop by disc 'n dat. Dan is a great guy and he has a really cool store. I do not believe he is open on sundays though so you would have to stop by on saturday if you plan on a weekend trip. His website is discndatonline.com and I beleive he has directions on his site to his store or a phone number.

must play:
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
Mt. Airy

2nd tier:
AJ Jolly
William Harbin

Definitely hit Disc and Dat. They have a very large selection of discs.

I'll reiterate what most of the other posts have stated:

- Idlewild is heaven, especially this time of year.

- Banklick (recently renamed "Lincoln Ridge") is my next favorite course. There is a "clean up day" on 3/21 from 10:00 am - noon. Many disc golfers will be out there to show you around. Guaranteed good time.\

- Mt. Airy takes the bronze, but is still a top-notch course. Some holes have been moved which disrupts the flow a little, but there will be many people on the course this weekend to help you out.

- Other worthwhile courses: Pride Park (short, technical, very hilly), William Harbin Park (a little ho-hum if you ask me), Sycamore Trails DGC in Dayton is definitely worth playing if you drive further North.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Food in Cincinnati

If you're in Cincinnati stop by Skyline Chili for our town's signature dish. This chain has lots of locations and serves a unique, beloved style of chili. The chili is served on top of spaghetti with cheddar and onions (a "four-way'), or on top of hot dogs ("coneys").

Skipping Skyline while in "The Nati" would be like missing out on New York's pizza, New Orleans' gumbo, Philly's cheesesteaks, etc...

ahhh...there is nothing like a good skyline 4 way...wish we had more skylines in the ville...only one or two anymore i think...

Ok so far im 100% hitting up Idlewild, Lincoln, MT. Airy, and skyline!

Thanks everyone!!! Im still deciding on a couple more courses, one will probably be sycamore trails on the way back.

Thats chilli sounds soo good, I wish I had some right now!! lol

Oh also, Ill proly get to idlewild at around 10-11. About how long do the courses around there take to play with 2 or 3 decent players. (idlewild?? Lincoln ridge?? Mt. Airy??)

i can only speak for idlewild, but it took me and another guy about 2.5 hours to play casually...

KY State singlesThis is on the april 11th so you can plan accordingly. I live about 5 minutes from idlewild and your best bet for a hotel would probably be in florence. I think the airport hotels can be pricey just because they are near the airport.

Definitely stop by disc 'n dat. Dan is a great guy and he has a really cool store. I do not believe he is open on sundays though so you would have to stop by on saturday if you plan on a weekend trip. His website is discndatonline.com and I beleive he has directions on his site to his store or a phone number.

Dan Hollingshead?

is he the guy who runs that place?

if so, that's my cousin!

Just got back from a trip to Cinci and played Idle, Banklick (Lincoln) and Airy. All were top notch, but Idle was set up with short pin placements and some (about 6) baskets were actually wrapped in plastic. There was a sign saying the course was closed, but hell if I'm gonna drive 250 miles and pass on one of the nation's top courses.
Met some great people down there and crashed on new found friends' couches most of the trip. I so wanted an ace on a wrapped basket to see the disc cut right through the plastic and rattle around in the basket, but I was not so fortunate. My first round at Idle I didn't go OB once and shot an amazing round of 55, using my own judgement as far as wrapped baskets. Highlights were a 3 on #5 (sick annie over the trees), a 3 on #10 (stunning roller down the fairway and to the right), metal on #14 and a drop in 4 on #15, as well as a 3 on #18. My other rounds out there were in the high 60s and low 70s. Left an XL in the pond on 2b. The course opened back up officially like the 14th or something, so you'll be good.
I was really impressed with both Airy and Banklick, too. Don't even bother warming up at Boone. It's so close to Idle, but not a challenge presents itself, though I did hear from some locals that it is going to be redesigned, incorporating some woods by the big wooden fort.

Latest posts