• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

Let me be clear here...

If Nike were to come into our sport with the same modus operandi of the existing players and put out a quality product that expanded my range of options in what discs I could buy, and used their R&D knowhow to improve disc quality, it would be a plus for our sport.

Conversely, if they came into it like a bunch of carpetbaggers, shoving unheard of money around, or buying out one of the existing players, in effect restricting my choices, then I don't see that as much of a plus.

Knowing their reputation, financial clout, and past history in other sports, I would predict something more akin to the latter would happen. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. There's plenty of non-Nike plastic to be bought.

I noticed you are from Ashland. I am wanting to make the trip out there to your local course. I just have not made the trip yet. Is the course as nice as I heard it is. I am from Canton, Oh with one of the better courses around. We just had the Big Tourney of the year here. The Hall of Chains.

You mean the high school???

After Aboretum-Spiker you would be VERY dissapointed in driving all the way here.

I would say hit Dover for Deis Hill or Medina for Roscoe Ewing or the course in Massilon if you havent and probably numerous other courses over Ashland High Schools course.

Im kinda of confused on who told you it was a nice course and if they have seen others. I mean, its nice for a very short 9 holer in presentation but each hole is probably like a putt. My fiances daughter that goes to school there told us how nice it was and it was because she had no idea what other courses were like.

Had a buddy, younger than me, put in a U2 tape (the fact that he even owned such a thing as a cassette shows he's not that young) yesterday. Anyone old enough remember that "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" was nearly a punk tune in it's day? Rebellion changes quite quickly these days....U2 punk; WTF?

I liked tapes better then CDs. Albums were created with a better flow. Some bands treated each side with a different approach. When your tape blew out, it was a much more beautiful scene then the frustration when a cd is scratched out.
A well known '90s east coast hard core band, H2o, gives big props to U2 :)
I always though flogging Molly should redo Sunday bloody Sunday

naw, that some placebo crap going on. There ain't a real difference if you get good quality digital.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. They may be close. But you can still tell a difference. At least I can. I've even compared the same album between CD and vinyl at it's night and day.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. They may be close. But you can still tell a difference. At least I can. I've even compared the same album between CD and vinyl at it's night and day.

Sure you can.

Did you know the best rocs are from the DX run of 1998 that have a mostly flat top that were stamped with the KCWO tourney? Those are the only rocs I throw. I have tried others but the difference was night and day.

Jukeshoes got some nice tastes. MY grandparents had and old record player that they took great care of that was like a piece of furniture where one side held all their old records and then the other held the player upening from the top.

When grandma died and grandpa moved to the home, I wanted it, records and all; but my uncle sold it.

Nike learned a lot from skateboarding and they will remember it if and when they get into disc golf. Not sure if this was mentioned but Nike failed the first time they tried to get into the skateboarding market. It was a complete joke. However, they had the resources to try again (some years later) and they made it work. They hired actual skateboarders, only sold to actual skate shops(at first), and they were able to sign some pretty big names. There was still a lot of backlash (i.e. the Consolidated "Don't Do It" ad campaign) but it's hard to stop something that big.

I feel like the same sort of thing would happen with disc golf. It's a pretty tight knit community with the core players and then you have the large (and rapidly growing) number of rec. players.(Exactly like skateboarding) Nike now knows that starting "grassroots" actually works with some sports and they can use that to their advantage.

The fact is is that people WILL BUY NIKE no matter what sport we're talking about. Hell, within a couple of years, Nike already has a knockoff brand of their skate shoes (Nike 6.0) that half of your local junior high is probably wearing. I don't think they can out the other brands like Innova and Disccraft. They have a long standing loyalty from their customer base (as you can see from the threads on this site). Same thing happened with skateboarding... there are still dozens of other skate shoe companies which people still support.

Either way, I don't really care about Nike one way or the other. I think it's better to support the "little guy" but I own Nike stuff and I usually buy my shampoo from Wal-Mart. Right or not, it's just the way it is.

As long as Lightning stays in business, I'm good.

Nike learned a lot from skateboarding and they will remember it if and when they get into disc golf...

I was clicking to the end of this thread to mention just that.

DG ended up ending my skateboarding career (sort of a sad and happy thing to say) and this is one more example of how disc golf is following the same evolution "extreme" sports had more than 10yrs ago. Skatboarding hit it big due to the X Games and the Tony Hawk series of video games. I'm not saying that will happen with disc golf but you will see larger sporting goods companies enter the market. I would could Vibram as one of those. Back to the skateboarding bit, I don't think disc golf will have that same explosion people are always talking about unless if gets TV coverad AND people watch it. My opinion onthe PDGA is that TV coverage is one of their top goals. I think it's silly but I understand their motivations.

Let's keep in mind that if anyone is "all about supporting the little guy" then they shouldn't be buying Innova.

Let's keep in mind that if anyone is "all about supporting the little guy" then they shouldn't be buying Innova.

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that Innova is a little guy in the disc golf market, just saying in contrast to Nike, Innova is tiny. I don't have a loyalty to any one disc company.