• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

I saw a poor kid today throwing a Force. I was going to tell him to please put it away and throw the shark but then he told everyone he got it for his birthday and I just didn't have the heart.

Ahhyup. Now you know why I was wound so tight about trying to make sure that what we gave the kids were discs they have some hope of being able to throw -- and why I went out and bought more stuff myself when I realized we were short of lighter-weight mids.

I would tell myself to work on both RHFH and RHBH at the same time. I would also ask myself if I had any idea the amount of time and money and I was about to dump into "frisbees".

I am not sure that I would tel myself to do anything different than I have. Have fun with it. Whatever your routine is, whatever you think about the other people you play with, realize in the long run it is really about finding what works for you. Practice whatever you need to practice, play as much as you possibly can. Even if you can't throw the disc correctly, learn what you can do with the discs that you do have.

Also practice good courtesy. Pick up trash on your course. Respect other players. These are rules to live by. Most disc golfers are striving to gain more attention and people to the sport so do what you can to give it a good name.

I would echo a lot of what has already been said. 1) Pick three easy, light, slow discs and really learn them, 2) Find some friends who have been playing for a while and are willing to have a newbie tag along, 3) Work on your form, and 4) have fun. There will be plenty of time for the Destroyers, Bosses, Grooves, Forces and such later.

I would tell myself:

1. Don't buy too many discs in the beginning. Learn to throw a few discs first

2. Hit the practice field at least once or twice a week and work on your throws. Practice makes perfect. Its also the quickest way to build distance

3.When you upgrade to a larger bag, get the Quad Shocks. They are well worth the money.

4. When you go play, make sure you bring more than enough to drink in the way of water and Gatorade.

5. Where the right shoes, and don't wear white shoes after Labor Day.

I would tell myself:

1. Don't buy too many discs in the beginning. Learn to throw a few discs first

2. Hit the practice field at least once or twice a week and work on your throws. Practice makes perfect. Its also the quickest way to build distance

3.When you upgrade to a larger bag, get the Quad Shocks. They are well worth the money.

4. When you go play, make sure you bring more than enough to drink in the way of water and Gatorade.

5. Where the right shoes, and don't wear white shoes after Labor Day.
I agree on the shocks for sure. Also on the white shoes. We don't want disc golf to get the funny outfit stigma that has plagued ball golf.

I don't regret the 30 or so discs I've gotten since I started about 2 years ago, it's been fun trying different discs out to see what worked best for me, I mean, I've never been able to throw Leopards w/o them turning and rolling. I do regret the star Teerex I bought as my first driver when I got serious, I misread the flight charts badly and didn't know you had to throw the dickens out of them to get them to go straight. I'd tell myself to stretch more and not strong arm stuff, get more hips and legs into the throw. Other than that my learning curve has been really short thanks to all the info I gleaned off of here from guys like ThreePutt, Garublador, Dut, Omega SS, and even that ornery 80played, plus too many to name here. I got my bro into this and he's improved dramatically thanks to me and this site as well. Oh and driving with mids, good advice.

I don't regret the 30 or so discs I've gotten since I started about 2 years ago, it's been fun trying different discs out to see what worked best for me

Gotta agree with you on this, part of the fun of the sport is trying out new plastic and seeing what you can do with it. I wish I had known more about disc flight as I was experimenting, but I don't regret buying more discs than I really need.

Don't take an 8 to 10-year layoff from when you discover the sport and when you really start to play it. If I'd been playing ever since I found the sport in my early twenties, instead of forgetting it and waiting until age 30 to pick it back up, I might be a lot better by now.

Other than that, I don't have any other regrets. A few of the things I'm really glad I did early on that I'd recommend to others:

Learn to throw the disc low and flat (keep the nose down) early in your learning curve.

Be willing to ask lots of questions. Not all the experts are friendly, but many of them are, especially on this site. There's nothing like picking a friendly master's brain.

Become familiar with the sport's jargon, especially terms for the ways discs can fly. Then apply that knowledge to your disc selection. The second worst mistake most newbies make (after throwing those distance killing nose-up sky hyzers) is to be ignorant of the differences between their discs. Just like there's a difference between woods and irons and wedges and putters in ball golf, every disc is made for a different purpose.

If you don't know what the discs in your bag are for or what they do, go the manufacturers' websites and do a little homework. Then learn to play with your "beginner friendly" discs. If you don't have any beginner-friendly discs, the folks here will be more than happy to recommend a few. There are some real winners out there.

Lastly, and most importantly, remember always to have fun. That's the whole reason the sport was invented. :)

go to dgcr!! could have found a lot more out about disc golf and the courses in my area

Good point, I wish I had found this site much earlier on. I've found out afterward that I missed some cool courses in places I've played because I went by the descriptions on the PDGA directory to pick the courses, and didn't have player reviews to look at.

Wow guys! Thanks for the overwhelming response! I've learned a lot from the two weeks or so of lurking this site, but I never expected 35 posts on this subject in such a short time.

I've read through the thread and have made some adjustments to what I will be doing for practice in the future. I've learned a lot, thanks again!

Wow guys! Thanks for the overwhelming response! I've learned a lot from the two weeks or so of lurking this site, but I never expected 35 posts on this subject in such a short time.

I've read through the thread and have made some adjustments to what I will be doing for practice in the future. I've learned a lot, thanks again!

Dude, that's like being surprised that meth heads like meth so much. We take our disc golf pretty seriously around here. If you don't believe me, go tell 80played that your disc golf knowledge is fact not opinion and is better than his. Actually, don't do that.

Dude, that's like being surprised that meth heads like meth so much. We take our disc golf pretty seriously around here. If you don't believe me, go tell 80played that your disc golf knowledge is fact not opinion and is better than his. Actually, don't do that.

Ha, now that would be fun to watch.