• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

I think the only thing I would have changed was using an Aviar instead of an upshot.

1. The high speed turn happens WAY before the low speed fade, time-wise. So those understable discs your cranking that always seem to screw up? They aren't screwing up, that's supposed to happen.
2. Practice putting.
3. Learn primary backhand first, Brad, it's easier on your arm and you can play way more often and without pain.
4. Practice putting.
5. Learn how to throw hyzers/anhyzers - having the overstable/understable disc do the work is fine, but it produces a different shot shape.
6. Practice putting.
7. Driving for distance is cool, but not searching for errant drives in the deep rough/woods is much more fun.

Compiled a very good list you have.

"learn the backhand, it may be harder now but will benefit you in the long run"
"don't let yourself be talked into being pdga state coordinator"

1. Don't buy the fastest discs ever made.
2. Don't buy the most overstable discs ever made.
3. Practice putting.

The combination of the first two forced me to become a predominantly sidearm thrower, and it has taken months to get a respectable backhand. My scores all sucked because of the third.

Don't take an 8 to 10-year layoff from when you discover the sport and when you really start to play it. If I'd been playing ever since I found the sport in my early twenties, instead of forgetting it and waiting until age 30 to pick it back up, I might be a lot better by now.

This is exactly what I did. I played a lot, but never serious, when I was in my early 20's. I'm 35 now and I'm getting more serious than I ever was before.

Since I found this site I have learned so much. Last weekend I shot my first round under par, yes it was -1, but I never felt better about my game.

... what would it be? Would you have practiced differently? More football field work and less course rounds? More putting and less driving? Buying less discs and learning more shots?

(DISCLAIMER: I am a complete beginner looking to soak up any information I can, so I figure learning from the experiences of others would a good way to learn)

I would tell myself to not throw so hard and work on correct technique. Then I would use an open field to learn the different flight characteristic of my discs. Then I would putt 15 minutes twice a day

I agree with the soft magnet, I am a beginner just started in May but have played at least 5 times a week since picking up the game. I started with an Archangel and while practicing in a field, some owners damn dog bit right through the plastic. The owner didn't even offer an apology, what a prick. I was then playing a new course and the Arch went into the pond, I said good bye and bought a champion tee-bird. In the past I was mostly throwing rhbh and would try rhfh, but my accuracy was far greater with rhbh. The forehand felt better and more natural though. My problem was I had no confidence in where the disc would go on my forehands, I was also getting too much air upon release. I have spent a lot of time watching discraft and beato on youtube and that really has helped quite a bit. I now have issues with driving past the basket with my tee-bird on anything under 300 feet. The tee-bird has a very predictable flight pattern for me and I am able to throw it low and under the trees with great accuracy at my local course. The local is a 9 hole and I am typically par at the end of 9. I also roped my 7 and 13 year old kids into the game with me and they are having a great time. My 2 year old travels in the stroller with the bag, so this has become a nice way to spend more time with the family as well.

what is a gumbputt?

It is a putter made by DGA that is the limpest, stickiest thing I have ever thrown. I have a friend who swears by them. He is right about one thing they don't come off the chains. If it hits chain it is so limp it folds up and falls in. But for me they just want to flutter when thrown and a push putt is useless with one.

Here's a link to check it out...

http://www.discgolfassoc.com/discgolf-equipment/discs/signature-discs.html#powerdrivegumbputt

I don't think I wqould change my early experiences with the sport. I did take a few years off due to work, but I think with that break my appreciation and seriousness for the sport has grown. I think the only real thing I would tell my younger self is to wear sunscreen everytime.

I would say start with a more under stable driver or mid-range disc and a putter for a couple of months to really learn those discs. Then slowly find discs to add in that add versatility to my throws and game.

1. Putting
2. Concentrate on Smooth and Accurate
3. Don't worry about "D"...it will come
4. Play catch with a buddy and your favorite mid

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

Run...get as far away from disc golf as you can...and don't ever look back.

I wish I would have learned how to flick way back when I 1st started playing!

In 14 years, your putting isn't going to be any better than it is now. Learn to deal with it...

i would have started competetive disc golf earlier. as it was the course pro/pro shop owner was a f$*king d*&k, and as the pdga representative and league organizer put off a lot of people to participating. i missed out on a lot of epic tournaments and getting better quicker because of that.

Latest posts