• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you had it all to do over again...

same discs I did start with. DX Cheetah, DX Cobra, DX Aviar.

All of these discing down threads make me laugh! I only agree with not throwing the fast drivers if you have no athletic abilities at all!

For instance, My son and his friend started playing about three months ago. My son can throw a Nuke around 400' and a Comet around 300'. Granted, he's 6' 4" and it looks like it takes him no effort to throw that far. His friend cant even throw a teebird 100'.

SSS voodoo, esp buzzz, star leopard

I just wish i would of played competitive disc golf at a younger age

I started when I was 10, with a 150class Cheetah. I wouldn't change anything because I couldn't. There were no forums that I could read, and nobody even in my town I could learn from. Sometimes learning through trial/error is the best way.

They didn't have Ions back then unfortunately. Or Fuses. :(

APX
Comet
Leopard

I would've started with the core bag I have now, just to save on money trying out molds.

All of these discing down threads make me laugh! I only agree with not throwing the fast drivers if you have no athletic abilities at all!

For instance, My son and his friend started playing about three months ago. My son can throw a Nuke around 400' and a Comet around 300'. Granted, he's 6' 4" and it looks like it takes him no effort to throw that far. His friend cant even throw a teebird 100'.
This sort of thinking seems to pop up around here quite often. The point of discing down isn't just to blindly use slower molds, it's to understand when you can't get consistent results with faster ones. If he can throw a Nuke consistently to 400' and Comet to 300' (assuming he's not making a huge hyzerflip, Comet should be able to handle 300' on a flat or very close to flat release) then he obviously has the form to handle them. It's a training tool for when you need it, not an end in itself.

Now if he was barely pushing the Nukes to 300' he should consider discing down.

I read A LOT on this site and DGReview so I knew the Buzzz/Roc and Leopard were the way to go before I started. Even though I carry a couple extras, like the Meteor, I still throw almost exclusively Buzzz/Leo. So I suppose I wouldn't change anything.

I wish I had tried a Teebird and Wizard earlier. My first and only disc for the first 2 years I played was a Viper. I exclusively threw overhand for all that time until it ruined my elbow and shoulder. I could only throw about 75' backhand because I was doing it all wrong. Wish I had someone to tell me. My game would be better and I would still be able to throw overhand today for those times I needed it. Makes my arm go numb now after just one throw. :(

Athletic ability has nothing to do with discing down. It has everything to do with learning proper form. The problem with throwing overstable plastic is that you CAN throw it 400' without having to use proper form. So you teach your arm bad form, and then when you NEED proper form (which you will at some point) it's not there. But if you don't care about that, don't read these "discing down threads."

Athletic ability has nothing to do with discing down. It has everything to do with learning proper form. The problem with throwing overstable plastic is that you CAN throw it 400' without having to use proper form. So you teach your arm bad form, and then when you NEED proper form (which you will at some point) it's not there. But if you don't care about that, don't read these "discing down threads."
In this case the kid also throws Comets 300' so I'm pretty sure his form is OK. But agreed.