• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm off 2 Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota in mid May & would love 2 hear from

danhyzer

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
my fellow friends here at DGC review of their insight of their personal favorites I should play in the northern Illinois and the Chicago area, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I'm also interested in your least favorite DGc in those areas mentioned and why I shouldn't play. As I always hate going to a DGc and having that ugly feeling that something wrong will be done to my ride or worse yet to me in a park with a DGc or a community with a cool DGc.

God willing------------- - + Highbridge's DGc's will be my goal to get to and then I'll be heading towards Minnesota and then swing back to Chicagoland and back home to Ohio.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :clap:

Also can any body recommend any awesome restaurants along those roads. Or interesting points of interests (like a waterfall, or a unusual building or a museum or a gravesite)As that's part of the fun of traveling around playing as many different DGc's. :)

Last edited:
I recommend skipping the Milwaukee bypass one of your directions either coming or going and swinging through Rockford one of those time and hitting Anna Page. tallpaul also is high on a course somewhat near Rockford I believe, but I dont remember the name of it.

The Anna Page courses are definitely the best anywhere near Chicago. Closer to the actual Chicago area, your best bet is to hit up the Joliet area for Highland Park, West Park, Community Park, The Oaks, Trinity Links etc.

Also can any body recommend any awesome restaurants along those roads. Or interesting points of interests (like a waterfall, or a unusual building or a museum or a gravesite)As that's part of the fun of traveling around playing as many different DGc's. :)

If you actually make it up to Highbridge, there's more points of interest in that area than most of the state. Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands, waterfalls, Nicolet-Chequamegon Forest (with countless POI's of its own), shipwrecks, and Ashland, for starters. Definitely recommend St. Peter's Dome...it's a helluva hike, but well worth it to reach the highest point in the forest, and Morgan Falls (WI's 2nd-tallest waterfall) is also at the bottom of the hike.

If you actually make it up to Highbridge, there's more points of interest in that area than most of the state. Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands, waterfalls, Nicolet-Chequamegon Forest (with countless POI's of its own), shipwrecks, and Ashland, for starters. Definitely recommend St. Peter's Dome...it's a helluva hike, but well worth it to reach the highest point in the forest, and Morgan Falls (WI's 2nd-tallest waterfall) is also at the bottom of the hike.

I like things like this but isn't recommending that sort of activity sacrilegious on a disc golf website. Its like saying hey, maybe you should cheat on your wife while you are in Vegas!

I put some of these types of things in my reviews, but you didnt mention anything disc golf related in this post.

I like things like this but isn't recommending that sort of activity sacrilegious on a disc golf website. Its like saying hey, maybe you should cheat on your wife while you are in Vegas!

I put some of these types of things in my reviews, but you didnt mention anything disc golf related in this post.

Lemme fix that--if you make it up to Highbridge, be prepared to bust your ass playing some wicked courses, and if you've got some extra time, THEN you can cheat on your wife. :p

Lemme fix that--if you make it up to Highbridge, be prepared to bust your ass playing some wicked courses, and if you've got some extra time, THEN you can cheat on your wife. :p

Not sure how I feel about the edit but at least it does say something about disc golf.

If you play sandy point in lac du flambeau, you will never forget it. you can make a nice loop up through the center of the state, skip milwaukee and rockford altogether if you want to concentrate your time on real quality. try the madison courses, heistand in particular although token creek is on avery jenkins' top ten list. continue on to stevens point where youve got 3 gems in standing rocks, yulga (make sure its not a weekend), and nearby big eau pleine which i have not played but have heard good opinions of. keep going up highway 51 and skip over to sandy point, which is the finest short technical course i have played, and on a per hole basis is better than highbridge in my opinion, but i prefer short tech to long anything. then head west to highbridge, and from there you can start heading southwest towards minnesota, where i can no longer help you.

Depending on your timing, you might find it more efficient to hit Chicagoland (Lemon Lake in Hammond?) swing toward Mpls (hitting Justin Trails in Sparta on the way there) before heading to Highbridge (via Eau Claire for Tower Ridge) and then come back thru the Upper Peninsula and down thru Michigan (Flip city?) to come home.

You've played so many of the good ones already it is hard to recommend a route that will hit up new courses to your played list. I suggest the following:
Dretzka & Brown Deer - Milwaukee (I 2nd Trashthrasher on this)
Anna Page E & W (as Harr & Mashnut say). I also highly recommend Lustig in Janesville that is in that general vicinity

My #1 9-holer of 90+ played is Campton Hills in St Charles, IL.
Highland Park in Joliet is a new and new style course that is a must play in Joliet, IL

All my other recommendations I see you have played.

I would stay away these at all costs (unless you want to simply boost your played courses list):
Homestead High School - Mequon, WI
East Troy Middle School - East Troy, WI
The Abbey Resort - Fontana, WI
Duck Pond Recreation Area - Fontana, WI
Hanna Beardsley Middle School - Crystal Lake, IL
Keller Park - Deerfield, IL
Patriots - Homewood, IL
Prairie Ridge High School - Crystal Lake IL
Goose Lake Roselle - IL
Leo Leathers - Mundelein IL
O'Brien Park - Downers Grove IL
Longwood Center - Lake Villa - IL
Twin Creeks - Buffalo Grove IL
Mayfair Park - Westchester IL
Volunteer Park - Romeoville IL
Springfield Park - Bloomingdale IL
S.E.B.A. Park - South Elgin IL

PS: I have played almost 100% of the courses in the greater Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and Rockford areas and I have them all rated - hopefully on a scale that reflects a non-regional bias. I hope that might be helpful to you.

I'm not married (been close) nor do I have any kids (to the best of my knowledge), and thus I have a little extra $$ to travel about playing as many DGc god will give me the opportunity to play. I appreciate everyones suggestions.

Lake Superior is the only Great Lake I haven't seen yet, so I'm looking forward to that in itself, along with getting close to the Apostle Islands. I never considered Stevens Point, but will do so now as it's on the way northward to Sandy Point and Highbridge. I sorta wanted to play Vollrath park on this trip and might try to sneek it in.

My last time through Millwaukee (oct. 2006) they're highways we're all under construction. This is a stupid ?, but are the highways all fixed and ready for my DG wagon these days?

look forward to other people's suggestions.

All the courses in point (except for Mead) are good. Eau Pleine is the best of the bunch IMO...Standing Rocks second, Yulga not far behind (yulga is a template for three varied and good sets of tees). As Chuck suggested, Justin Trails is a great 36 hole work out; with the big brother representing some serious gold level play. Community Park in Chahannon; is pretty close to Highland, and is one of Illinois' top ten too. Lots of good courses up the west side of Wisconsin; Axl Dog has been put on this site fairly recently; it's a good course and a basket history lesson. In that area, I also like Pioneer Bar and Grill and I think Brickyard is also fun for a nine hole course; with two buckets for each hole, and three tees, you can play a wide variety of shots. Sinnissippi is a gem that's a little over an hour south of Rockford. Valparasio is a gem that's half hour east of Lemon Lake. Twin Cities has numbers of good to great courses. Your route really needs about a month to play all the good ones. I didn't check your played list; I'll assume from Dave's post that you have already played many good ones. Sandy Point is rather short and old school these days; but, was considered one of the best in the state for many years. Kind of has the historical vibe, much like Vollrath. If you end up over by Vollrath, you should detour to play Winter Park; which was listed in the top ten for a while. If you get to the fox cities, pm me, I'll give you the tour. But, though we have a number of good courses; I would say all those I've already listed, are better. Good course in Marshfield, Northwood County Park; if you're on the west side of Wis.

Went and looked at your played list: point and the western side of Wis. would provide you with the biggest wealth of good courses you have yet to play in Wisconsin. Sinnissippi and Rockford may be your best options for Illinois. There's also a tiny course near Rockford, you can play in less than 1/2 hour and give yourself the out of state ace opportunity on every hole.

My last time through Millwaukee (oct. 2006) they're highways we're all under construction. This is a stupid ?, but are the highways all fixed and ready for my DG wagon these days?

They say that there are 2 seasons in this area - winter & construction.

All the fly-over spaghetti junction work in downtown Milwaukee is complete, but I think they are still working on I-94 south of Milwaukee. Over the last year that construction has been ongoing but has not been a big problem in Milwaukee so I doubt you will have any major issues (I drive through that area 1-2 times per week usually around rush hour). But you never know this far in advance.........

They are working on I 94 south of the city a little but it isnt too bad, the worst is the 894 bypass at the zoo interchange that the ramps may be closed at night. The 894 to I 94 WEST bypass exit is closed until the new ramp is built.

I assume your swinging thruogh Indiana on your way?

IN - Lemon Lake Facility. Y? Pro worlds is being played there this year. and mid May there is an A-teir here. 4 courses one park.
IL - The Oaks - Its a fun course to play and has Red/White/Blue tees. Not necessarily the best in the area but always a good time.
IL - West Park - I have yet to play this course but have only heard good things about it.
From here are you planning on taking 90 or 94? ill seperate by interstate choice
via 90:
IL - Anna Page - Two courses that have two distinct feels to them. multiple tees and pins. always a challenge to a players skills. well taken care of. one my my favorite courses ive played. whether i play good or bad i have a good time here.
WI - Hiestand Park & Vallarta Ast- UW-Madison. Spend a night here and play two courses. Hiestand is another one of my favorites. pro tees are incredibly challenging and am tees are really fun. Vallarta Ast is a difficult course that is one of the showcase courses in the Clash DVD series.
WI - Baraboo Lions DGC - a fun and challenging course. the front 9 is wooded and tight the opens up and gets longer in the back 9. Devils Lake State Park is nearby and has a bunch of fun activities and the Dells arnt to much further.

Via 94:
WI - Dretzka & Brown Deer - Dretzka is my #1 favorite course. FUN!!! and challenging. 27 holes to challenge every shot in your bag. when in all the long pin placements its super difficult. if i could have my own park i would want to have this one. Brown deer is a tough SOB. really challenging and fun if you dont let its abusive nature get the best of you.
WI - Appleton Area - I know there is some killer courses there butt havnt had the pleasure to play yet. Talk to tallpaul for a better scoop.

regoin on I 39:
WI - Standing Rocks - I have not played yet. but another one of N WI disc golf-lore.
WI - Sandy Point - A disc golf resort and a wonderful course. havent played but everyone i know praises it.
WI - Highbridge Hills - since you're already planning to play here take your time and enjoy yourself. The order i would play is Chestnut Grove, Woodland Greens, Blueberry Hills, Gold, and Granite Ridge. Woodland greens is a good course to get your drives and confidence in-line. Blueberry is the best course so hit this when youre not tired and ready to kill. Gold is the longest and most challenging. granite ridge is more open and more forgiving then the other courses.

via MN: I assume you are heading for the Twin Cities. Go down to Eau Claire and got back on 94.
WI - Tower Ridge - Killer 2 courses through the woods. fun and challenging. both courses are a great time.
MN - Kaposia ParK - If youre looking to analyze if your bag has every shot you need then come here. this course is a butt kicker. get your 2's in early and try to make all your par putts. Very scenic! the later half is beatiful and is more of a hike down and up a ravine/valley then a disc golf course.
MN - Bryant Lake - A fun course that has some beautiful views of the area. Fun and not as challenging as the other 4 mentioned. A good prep course for the others.
MN - Hyland Ski & Resort - Played on the side of a ski hill this course will test not only your skill but your stamina. mostly open and long. the wind plays a significant part here. Hole 18 is a huge down the whole ski hill bomb. Very fun.
MN - Blue Ribbon Pines - The flattest of the 5 courses. But the most fun to play while being challenged to play your best. the wonderful people here know all about the disc golfer and cater to our enjoyment. They serve beer at the club house as well as a stand in the middle of the course. Clash DVD also played here.
MN - Oakwood - Out of the 5 it is the funniest to play. Over a valley and through the woods to the basket you go. Another good intro to the area courses.

I personally would take 94 to highbridge from Chicago. you'll pass by way more quality courses then 90. near highbridge is Copper Falls State Park, very beautiful park! if you stop in milwaukee hit up water st/brady st for the good nightlife.
If youre looking for good food then stay in Chicago. Ive been all around the country. Chicago hands down has the best food! A couple of unique restaurants to go to Flat Top Grill and Ethiopian Diamond. Both are small and not all that well known. Enjoy. Milwaukee has some great food down on Brady St. Also by Marquette Univ campus on Wisconsin Ave there is a lil Greek place. He makes great gyros. The twin cities isnt really all to fantastic in the food department. in the 6 months i lived there nothing really stood out for me to make a suggestion, maybe Ping's a good tahi food place in Loring Park.
If you decide to go the I 90 route let me know if you want a tour guide for anna page.
have a good trip

p.s. Dont forget to stop at GGGT while in the Twin Cities. Lots of frisbee. not far from bryant lake or hyland

Well I've got a good idea of which DGc's I want to try to play on the Wisconsin leg of my trip and I thank everyone for their input. How about some love from my friends in Minnesota. What DGc's do you recomend me playing both in the twin cities and elsewhere.

does anyone have any inside information they like to devulge to me and (the rest of mankind, as we know everyone who is in the know of DG goes to this great DG site for their DG fix) .... others of any new DGc's going into the ground that haven't been publicized yet or any private DGc's that I could play while visiting in the area??

If you are going to head up the East side of WI along Lake Michigan and hit Vollrath, then you MUST keep going just an hour north and hit up Winter Park in Kewaunee, WI. This 27 holer is WAY different than the 11 holer you played a number of years ago. Well worth it if you are within an hour radius (or even more).

First plug in March!

Axl Dog is the most recent one that's been posted for everyone to see; near Eau Claire, it's a very fine course with very interesting target device history on site. 36 holes at Tower Ridge very much worth playing there as well; and I would add Brickyard in as well. But, I've already relayed that info. I would p.m. CgDisc (Chuck) in regards to his suggestions for Twin Cities. I've played Bryant Lake, Kaposia, Blue Ribbon, and Oakwood; and can recommend all of those. With the exception of Oakwood, I think they are all rated 4 and above on here; and that's pretty legit. Heard good things about Hyland, but haven't made it there yet. We stayed and played Blue Ribbon twice when there in the fall.
Here in the Fox Cities, Appleton (Wis.) area; a private that has 17 of 18 holes completed, will be the best in our area, but I don't really see you coming through here. If so, pm me and I'll hook you up.