• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injuries Changed My Game

Ishulebest

Par Member
Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but I'm too tired and lazy to search it. Have injuries changed your game for the better? In my case I am 6'5" and have had 3 knee surgeries between both knees and will be having more in the future. What I have learned was to throw forehand at times in order to take the stress off my(RHBH) plant leg. I haven't conquered the forehand, but it has improved ,and is a great tool to have in my arsenal, anyone else have a similar situation ?

i got a buddy who threw amost exclusively overhand, but he was playing some football with a group of puerto ricans and messed up his shoulder. now, he has some sort of acute tendonitis or something, basically can not throw overhand anymore without serious pain. i've been trying to get him to concentrate on backhand and forehand for a while but now he is actually willing to try to develop those portions of his game. it will be a night and day change, he threw overhand 95 percent of his non putt shots, even 20 yard approach shots.

i often worry about my knees throwing backhand, my plant leg never hurts but my left knee gets a tad sore sometimes, presumably from jabbing into the ground to stop my body rotation so i can watch my shot.

Was arming my discs 300' and at least a couple of times popping my shoulder and that got me to work on form to where I am throwing as far but without the sore arm.

i got a buddy who threw amost exclusively overhand, but he was playing some football with a group of puerto ricans and messed up his shoulder.

I have heard that those Puerto Ricans are big, mean, nasty football players. If there was Olympic Football I'm sure they'd dominate.

I have terribly bad knees and ankles so my balance and flexibilty are terrible. I am strong and long but due to these injuries I really can't utilize any of this to an advantage. I am 6'3" over 260 mostly muscle and can barely break 300. I just arm everything usually. This drives the real Dgers crazy but when I try to run up and spin I swear I am as fragile as a piece of glass and my form is so awful as I am more concerned with not twisting my knees or busting my ankles. Sounds pathetic but it's the truth. Don't ever let your kids play team sports or run track......stupid sports that ruin your quality of life as you age. Get them throwing plastic and in the woods. I am strongly opposed to basketball as it has basically cripped me at age 40. Stupid stupid sport!

Yep. Right knee can't tolerate BH throws very well. Went exclusively FH about a year ago. The only BH shots I even attempt any more are short approaches.

I have terribly bad knees and ankles so my balance and flexibilty are terrible. I am strong and long but due to these injuries I really can't utilize any of this to an advantage. I am 6'3" over 260 mostly muscle and can barely break 300. I just arm everything usually. This drives the real Dgers crazy but when I try to run up and spin I swear I am as fragile as a piece of glass and my form is so awful as I am more concerned with not twisting my knees or busting my ankles. Sounds pathetic but it's the truth. Don't ever let your kids play team sports or run track......stupid sports that ruin your quality of life as you age. Get them throwing plastic and in the woods. I am strongly opposed to basketball as it has basically cripped me at age 40. Stupid stupid sport!

my feet/ankles are completely screwed up from basketball- that is what brought me to dg to begin with. that being said, if i were physically capable i'd way rather play basketball than dg.

i was better at throwing forehand than backhand originally but tendinitis in my elbow forced me to learn the backhand more fully and definitely helped my game.

after i'd been playing dg for 10 years or so i crushed a disc in my lower back the day after i turned 40 by picking up a 5 gallon bucket of water (i was a farmer at that point and did similar actions literally hundreds of times a day).

after a long period off from playing i picked it back up- my skills are not nearly what they used to be- can't throw nearly as far, overhands and forehands are nowhere near as good, etc.- however i have played some of the best tournament golf of my life since the injury. i attribute this mainly to my own reduced expectations which allow me to remain in the moment to a greater degree than before when i would become frustrated much more easily with bad shots, etc.

Tore something in my back which resulted in not being able to throw sidearm for about 3 weeks but I could still throw backhand so that helped my bh game. Tore my rotator cuff real bad while trying to rip a backhand. That help me slow down my bh and work on form but kind of mentally hurt me on stepping up into my throws and putting a lil more power into it.

I tore my rotator cuff muscle, and had surgery, about 6 months before ever throwing my first golf disc. When I first started playing, it was strictly forehand only, with the exception of backhand on putts. Just recently I've loosened up enough to start learning how to throw backhand. I don't know if I will ever be able to match my forehand distance, as the strength just isn't there any more. It's been a long, slow recovery process.

David

Injuries changed my game a little. I'm an avid weight lifter and I changed my weight lifting to accommodate some DG injuries, which in turn are helping me play better DG.

If your knees hurt from DG there are some pretty common issues that aren't terribly hard to resolve if you have the time to work them out.

\/\/

PS this is only "easy" if you haven't had replacements and too much damage already.

my previous injuries do not effect me during dg

I am going to continue to monitor this thread as I had ACL reconstruction surgery in September. The tear occurred in June. I have always been a RHBH 99.9% of the time. I use other shots in trouble-situations only. I have played 2 rounds since the surgery and I am nowhere close to where I was before, but I am still in the rehab stage. I am anxious to hear of others who have had knee surgery and the effects on their games.

When I very first started I could throw well over 400'. But then I had an emergency apendectamy. The doctor told me I could not do any strenuous activity for two months... but my addiction to DG only let me hold out for about a week. It was painful to play with my standard throw motion so I adapted to a more hunched over style so as to not hurt my abs. Now, I'm lucky to get near 400 with the most perfect drive. Damn apendix!
DSCJNKY

my most recent injury (stick through foot) has made my game way worse...i dont run up on my drives the same b/c it sitll feels weird to put all my weight on my foot and i lost a ton of distance :(

I'm 6'4" and have a pretty bad shoulder as well as back pain after rounds. Not really too much I can do about the shoulder other than to remember not to try to reach above my head when laying on my belly. On the other hand I changed the way I drive to protect my back and it really worked.

I throw pretty long, about 400, which I am pretty happy about being older. I used to reach straight back when I drove and as I brought my hips around and weight forward I was told, by Beato, that I was actually throwing in a bit of a circular motion. Sort of like a yoyo around your finger with the string being my arm. I changed to reaching out a bit and pulling more straight through and voila', no more back pain. At first after switching I found my distance wasn't much different but I sprayed my drives around a bit more. After a few weeks I found that that had settled down. Now my drives are roughly just as long as before with less effort and no back pain. On the other hand, I am finding it hard to increase my distance much. Looks like it is time for me to workout more.

man i wish i could throw with you for a few hours, throwing only static shots...

Once I missed a 10 foot putt and my feelings were really really hurt., but Im tough, I got through it.

Latest posts