• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injuries

somewhat minor, but still affects my game- this persistent cut i've had on my throwing thumb for months. every time it starts to heal, it will split open again. finally started using liquid skin. highly recommend that stuff, way better than a bandaid. holds the cut together like glue and i think it's starting to heal for real this time.

I have played with a serverely sprain knee and ankle before.

I've done that too. Hyper-extended my knee playing basketball on a Wednesday then had a tournament Saturday. I had no trouble putting weight on it, but it was swollen to the point that I had very little range of motion. I played poorly, but not because of the knee.

Of course, there was one hightlight: I aced the first hole of the day!

somewhat minor, but still affects my game- this persistent cut i've had on my throwing thumb for months. every time it starts to heal, it will split open again. finally started using liquid skin. highly recommend that stuff, way better than a bandaid. holds the cut together like glue and i think it's starting to heal for real this time.

that's one of the contents of my discgolf bag. The power windows in my car quit working on Monday so I inspected the fuse block. No fuse but a circuit breaker. When I went to pull it out with my forefinger and thumb I got a nice little sizzle and an instant brand on each finger. I was worried that it would affect my forehand throws. Not at all. My first backhand throw ripped across my finger tip and painfully removed the nice blister. Time for liquid skin.

My shoulder killed every time I got done playing when I first started but it doesn't happen anymore. Anyways, I was trying to play a quick round after work and my throw on a par 3 went a little of course and just into the trees, not wanting to lose it I starting running directly to where I saw it go. I was focused on the spot and stepped on the side of a little hole and rolled the **** out of my ankle. This was about a month ago but I can't stop playing so I try to be careful but I've tweeked it a few times since.

rolled my ankle a few times, but that's the extent of my injuries. Stay safe out there guys

So I was solving the rubiks cube in 30 seconds, I have recently learned a new algorithim. It uses my right index finger in a wierd way. Over use of this algorithim caused me to get pains at that finger joint when playing disc golf.

This ^^ is the best feedback that people can take away from this thread.

For example, just because you have a pain in your elbow doesn't mean that your diagnosis is tendinitis. It just means that your symptoms are being presented as pain in your elbow, but the cause of the problem could be anywhere else in the musculature that is engaged during a throw (which includes any number of interconnected muscle groups). Go see a doc. If you don't like what they tell you, go see a different doc, but medical advice is recommended for any persistent pain.

I agree, the pain is telling you something is wrong somewhere. I see an acupuncturist for said pain.

Other than that, I twisted an ankle once teeing off wrong. I have stepped in plenty of deep mud holes and trying to jump creek banks is not recommended.

ouch!!

I was actually thinking of posing a shoulder/arm pain thread and then I saw this one. Does sever arm/shoulder pain/weakness mean I am strong-arming all my shots and do you think it will go away with more time?

I was actually thinking of posing a shoulder/arm pain thread and then I saw this one. Does sever arm/shoulder pain/weakness mean I am strong-arming all my shots and do you think it will go away with more time?

No.

Well, that might be the reason, but it surely doesn't "mean" it. Structural damage may heal with rest; it will almost certainly get worse over time if you keep playing.

We used to have a rule of thumb in baseball that muscle pain is temporary, joint pain needs to be addressed. It's not foolproof, but I still (mostly) follow this.

I disregarded this and assumed shoulder pain would go away with time. It turned out to be a very very bad decision.

started playing in 1986, elbow tendonitis developed in 2003, torn rotator cuff in 2004 with surgery in 2005 and 2006 on it and most recently arthroscopic hip surgery this past March. I'm back to putting now but can't twist my hip yet to tee off, hopefully by July. BTW, my game keeps getting worse. I attribute DG to most if not all these problems but can't quit playing this game.

I blamed baseball for mine, but my surgeon told me "Your shoulder evolved to throw a spear about once a week." Which didn't get the baseball off the hook, just reminded me that we're pushing the body to do things it wasn't designed for, and breakdowns occur. (Sometimes it seems living past age 40 is one of those things the body wasn't designed for).

I stubbed my toe on a tee pad at Oak Grove (Pasadena), was out of the game for 2 months :(

This is going to be fun. Don't laugh at me tho.

So I am playing alone. Ran into two older gentlemen on hole 9 and they ask me if I wanted to throw with them, so I did. We got to hole 17 and one man I was playing with threw his disc and it landed in a tree next to the creek. He couldn't climb it and if we threw something at it to knock it down it would have gone in the creek.

So what do I do being the smart chick that I am. I decided to climb the f'n tree, got the disc and on the way down my foot slipped and I did not hit the ground. I was suspended from the tree by thorny ivy vines. The vines caught my ankle and threw my ankle up to my hip. So I heard a big pop and it was my knee.

I had two choices:
A. The guys could cut the vines and I would have slid down the embankment into the creek.
B. They could pull me from behind and I could get cut up some more with thorns.

I choose B and got cut up from my legs to my @ss crack. It was my left knee and I drive a standard. I got an MRI two days later and tore some ligaments and had to do physical therapy for 8 weeks. I am still hurting somewhat. But I am back to throwing plastic. Needless to say I will NEVER climb another tree for a disc. I realized I am not a bare footed 8 year old anymore.

-Broke my throwing hand in the first round of the 2010 Memorial punching my mini. That was the day after Barry Schultz did the same thing.

- Jumped over a fence to retrieve an throw that went OB and one of the fence spikes went all the way through my throwing hand. That was the 3rd hole, and I still finished the round. Everyone, had to stand behind me when I threw to be sure they didn't get sprayed with blood.

Witnessed a sprained knee last winter. My buddy went to tee off and got his plant foot stuck under the ice birm at the front of the teepad. (which happens after a while from the pads constantly being brushed off of snow all winter.) His momentum spun him on his plant foot and sprained his knee and tore a ligament. We had to carry him back thru the foot deep snow over half a mile.

just played a tourney last week with a semi-rolled ankle, hurt it in soccer, and it is my planting foot so was a little worried but finished in second place, and didn't really notice it other than one poor drive in loose sand where it gave a bit and I almost went OB

Over the summer my girlfriend and I took a few of her friends out to play for their first time. We told them the rules and general protocol, but we were the only ones on the course so we were pretty relaxed. I kept reminding them (and myself) to stay behind the thrower. We were all finishing up putts on hole 7, and I walked over to pick up my disc about 6 feet from the basket, and as I stood up with it I got hit in the face by a midrange that one of the first timers threw. She threw it hard and I was only about 12-15 feet away from her. It caught me right on the upper lip. I'm glad it didn't knock any teeth out, but the blunt edge of the disc split my lip bad enough that I couldn't stop the bleeding hours later and I ended up going to the ER on a Sunday night to get 4 stitches. Later I asked the girl why she threw when I was standing in front of her that close and she said "I was aiming towards the basket, not you, so I thought you'd be fine."

Here's a picture of me post stitches, all swollen.

Last edited:
The worst injury I received was a result of my own stupidity. About a month ago I had a bad lie in a grove of large trees and tried to power drive out. Unfortunately there was a tree where my hand wanted to go on my follow through and I backhanded it as hard as I could. Though it sounded and felt like it at the time, I didn't actually break my hand but something's off in my wrist now and it still aches a little if I put pressure on it while bending it. Lesson: don't fight trees - they always win.:wall:

Latest posts