• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova:Blizzard - Discraft:Titanium...etc

I brought up this spec regarding the meaning of "solid" and "inflatable" with Tech Standards, PDGA HQ and Board reps and no one saw a problem with the bubbles other than if the surface was rough as a result of the bubbles breaking near the syrface late after cooling started. They/we felt it's just a different method of varying plastic density in the manufacturing process which is allowed such as the different densities in the MVP products. The inflatable restriction has to do with having disc with a bladder where gas pressure inside could be adjusted by the user sort of like the pump shoes. Not allowed for the moment.

Hmm.. how about injecting a disc with something like Helium, then? That would be 'bubbles' too.. and it would definitely affect the plastic density in the manufacturing process..

I could see nitrogen injected discs. It's already a fairly common process to inject plastic with nitrogen so it would be easy.

I could see nitrogen injected discs. It's already a fairly common process to inject plastic with nitrogen so it would be easy.

I'd kinda assume that the current injection method is mostly Nitrogen already (as air is 78.082% Nitrogen by volume of dry air).. using something lighter than air, however, could radically alter the properties of a disc..

jeverett - Hmm.. how about injecting a disc with something like Helium, then? That would be 'bubbles' too.. and it would definitely affect the plastic density in the manufacturing process..
That was covered in our discussions. But apparently helium in bubbles would dissipate thru the plastic. Mylar we're familiar with is the go-to plastic choice for holding helium. You would need to do something along the lines of acquiring tiny mylar bubbles filled with helium and injecting them.

Last edited:
Anyone know where to get tiny helium filled mylar bubbles?

That's a very good question.. from some Google searching, it appears that mylar 'microspheres' do exist.. there seems to be some research by NASA and others by them, related to cooling techniques. As for Helium-injected ones.. or where'd you'd get them.. not so much. Plus, I'm assuming that there's some ratio of volume vs. sphere surface area at which the overall sphere wouldn't be lighter-than-air anymore, as Mylar itself is much denser. For reference, in case anyone isn't familiar with Mylar, Mylar balloons are those metallic-looking ones that you might get for birthdays (or Valentine's Day) ;)

mediawebserver

Ever put resin filler to lighten up your surfboard dings? Not sure how they would hold up to pressure injection molding but you could get 3M to fill those with the gaz of choice. Just a thought.

The Blizzard technology is just a better way to get you to shed the "MAX WEIGHT" philosophy.

Less is more.

The lightweight discs work but you have to have the technique to throw them. If you don't have the form, they will make you suck even worse. If you learn to throw them, you are ahead of the game.

I wish Innova was more grassroots like Discraft but whoa, they are really helping me to improve the game.

Don't be fooled, long bomb to the basket and a short putt in for two. If you have a great upshot, that means you are shooting three. If you are threading the needle, Blizzards probably aren't going to be a first choice anyway...

Tree courses are not going to be where the Blizzards shine (I could be wrong) but if your disc flight is shortened by a few leaves or if it is sticking up in a tree because it is so light, that won't help you at all.

Blizzard (and lightweight drivers) are working for me for open courses, long flights. I'm having fun throwing the longest throws I have ever done each weekend, it's fun.

Light drivers have been around for quite some time.

The Blizzard tech is already changing the game for some, I like them because they are tough discs that hold their shape. I skipped mine off of some killer rough asphalt and it roughened up the edges a little, no big deal, I use a sanding sponge to smooth it out.

I'm so stoked that good equipment is readily available. I am so stoked that the guys at disc golf store are helping me find good light drivers, I have a few choices now in four different types of plastic, Blizzard champ is fighting with my lightest weight DX Wraiths FTW.

Buy your discs at your local disc golf store (if you have one) because you don't want these places to go away...

Attachments

• 02.jpeg
    02.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Blizzard_Boss.jpg
    Blizzard_Boss.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 71
  • R-Pro_Boss.jpg
    R-Pro_Boss.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
how much of a difference does weight really make? i have a 138g x nuke from a misprint deal that i've never thrown because, frankly, i don't like wide rimmed drivers.

Here is my take on Blizzard discs shining in the woods. In the woods around me, the wind is usually at the minimum compared to the open holes. Imagine a Blizzard Champ Aviar, so easy to get up to speed but would go 100 feet longer possibly with half the arm speed. Think about the many different lines that could be shaped with it for players who have trouble getting max weight things to flip and what not.

I would say a blizzard Wraith on a 500 ft. hole through the woods would increase accuracy due to the lack of arm speed required. The amount of force exerted would go down, which in turn would heighten the accuracy that could be attained. That is what I think anyway.

All I know is that they look awesome and I do believe they will change the game more than Ti plastic will. Kudos to Innova for truly Innovating the game once again!

Here is my take on Blizzard discs shining in the woods. In the woods around me, the wind is usually at the minimum compared to the open holes. Imagine a Blizzard Champ Aviar, so easy to get up to speed but would go 100 feet longer possibly with half the arm speed. Think about the many different lines that could be shaped with it for players who have trouble getting max weight things to flip and what not.

I've mentioned it before, but I have a 112g Wizard that I like taking out on calm days. Exactly as you said, it takes a LOT less effort to get that disc moving, it almost feels like cheating. It is very touchy to how much snap you give it since it's a lighter disc. You really have to give it a nice clean snap and minimize excess arm movement to get it to fly well. Also it's really hard to get it past 250-260 (in no wind) because it's just so light that friction in the air actually does a great deal to slow it down as it flies. For shorter shots and upshots the thing is a joke how easy it is to throw, though.

I brought up this spec regarding the meaning of "solid" and "inflatable" with Tech Standards, PDGA HQ and Board reps and no one saw a problem with the bubbles other than if the surface was rough as a result of the bubbles breaking near the syrface late after cooling started. They/we felt it's just a different method of varying plastic density in the manufacturing process which is allowed such as the different densities in the MVP products. The inflatable restriction has to do with having disc with a bladder where gas pressure inside could be adjusted by the user sort of like the pump shoes. Not allowed for the moment.

My first thought when I read this was "Yes, that's it! I should try some pump shoes, I bet that will help with my footwork on my tee shots." Then I saw he said "not allowed for the moment" and I wondered what the PDGA had against pump shoes.

Seriously though (and this has probably been said on some blizzard thread already) but it is funny that the bubbles in Champ discs were a reason for x-outs if I am not mistaken- and they were of course still PDGA approved. But this new technology does raise some interesting questions. Good stuff everyone!

I, too, do like the way they look, kind of like Jell-o made with Ginger Ale.

I am wondering with the weight range being from 130 to 150 , how much that difference is gong to affect flight patterns. I throw some lower weight discs now arond 165 and like them and if I We're to get some of the blizzard discs what's going to be the bes weight. I now 5 grams is not a lot but between 10-20 is.

bjreagh - ...but it is funny that the bubbles in Champ discs were a reason for x-outs if I am not mistaken- and they were of course still PDGA approved. But this new technology does raise some interesting questions.
The title of my email on Jan 4th to the Tech group, PDGA and Board was "Defect becomes Feature" ;)

According to David Wiggins write up on his test runs, the discs throw 20g heavier. Destroyers will flip up but always come back. I would say 140+ would be good.

According to David Wiggins write up on his test runs, the discs throw 20g heavier. Destroyers will flip up but always come back. I would say 140+ would be good.

That's exactly what I heard from the owner of a local shop, buy 20g lighter than you usually throw for similar flight patterns.

I've mentioned it before, but I have a 112g Wizard that I like taking out on calm days. Exactly as you said, it takes a LOT less effort to get that disc moving, it almost feels like cheating. It is very touchy to how much snap you give it since it's a lighter disc. You really have to give it a nice clean snap and minimize excess arm movement to get it to fly well. Also it's really hard to get it past 250-260 (in no wind) because it's just so light that friction in the air actually does a great deal to slow it down as it flies. For shorter shots and upshots the thing is a joke how easy it is to throw, though.

Yess!

I would be interested to read your experience with lightweight putters for driving and or longer throws...

Excited to see more people liking lighter weight discs.

Attachments

• Aviar_DX.jpg
    Aviar_DX.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Aviar_Star.jpg
    Aviar_Star.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 34
I only throw max weight because I have huge balls.

So a 130g Blizzard Destroyer will fly very similar to a 150g Destroyer, correct? :popcorn:

Yes. I mean, of course not exactly like but very similar in flight. Avery Jenkins said his 150g Destroyers he was throwing for the Taiwan Open threw almost like S/DS Destroyers but not exactly. They would turn a little more but always come back.