• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova:Blizzard - Discraft:Titanium...etc

:::LSWT:::

Destroyer 3.0
so innova comes along and unleashes blizzard technology that for all intentional purposes has completely changed the distance game, not to mention probably prolonging a lot of playing years for people needing lighter discs (injury, etc.)

now all of a sudden discraft's hugely touted new plastic has had a bit of the sail bounced out of it. sure it will still sell a ton, as pretty discs normally do, but it appears that innova has just unleashed a monster that will change the game as we know it.

i'm all for the other disc companies to step up in their own way to accept innova's latest challenge. mvp, legacy and lat 64 are carving up some new ground in establishing something 'new' and provocative.

seriously, did anyone see this coming, this whole new bubble technology that seemingly appeared out of nowhere, overnight and has rocked the DG world?

so innova comes along and unleashes blizzard technology that for all intentional purposes has completely changed the distance game

Never heard of it. So now is there a new longest disc since the last longest disc there ever was?

And it's "intents and purposes".

sometimes innovation comes from mistakes
so no one wouldn't see it coming

3M sticky notes came about when they got the formula for a super glue wrong
great for sticky notes but not for holding stuff together
the "mistake" led to an incredible innovation

I don't believe that the bubbles were actually intended but that somewhere along the way during some molding bubbles got in, interesting results happened, and Dave ran with it

to be fair the Blizzards didn't actually come out THIS year other than as being CALLED Blizzard

last year I had some Asia Open Champ Destroyers that threw like Speed 12 Roadrunners (lacked a little glide though) they were 150 class, and the rims were full of bubbles...but not the flight plates

I dont care for the blizzard discs myself but my dad and buddy who are new(er) to the game throw them quite well for their abilities.

it didnt appear over night so to speak,remember the bubble boss's a few years back? my guess is theyve obviously been tinkerring with this prior to that. i live that blizzards are giving lots of people who dbt have arm speed,older age, or pros who just want to bomb even easier. its a game changer for sure, the biggest advantage is prenium plastics in light weights. i spoke to yeti sunday aabout these and he was happy about something that can help elevate his game in that department.

i see the distance comps this year,being nasty competetive. lots of records will be broken.

i also had an older friend whos prob in his 50s,he threw one side arm and it cruised for him with ease. this gices him tthe ability to keep up even more with younger players.

while some dnt get the hype,believe me...the blizzard train hasnt even been started. its gonna hit u whether u like it or not

titanium will be decent but its nothing more than prettier z plastic. nothing innovative. lat has already wowed people there. not knockin dc but,the hype machine is dying down

my .02

sometimes innovation comes from mistakes
so no one wouldn't see it coming

I don't believe that the bubbles were actually intended but that somewhere along the way during some molding bubbles got in, interesting results happened, and Dave ran with it

great points!

over at the pdga forum dave d reveals that his son had a lot to do with the technology:

"Fortunately, my son is a little smarter than I am and can hold more variables in his head than I can. He is largely responsible for the evolution of the technique. The molding has evolved into, what I think is an acceptable and marketable product that does not have bubbles in the flight plate, just the rim. We started with bubbles everywhere, but that often produced unacceptable visual results. I've heard lots of speculation about what the bubbles do dynamically to the flight. Interesting at times. The ultimate shape is not due to the bubbles, but other factors that occur with trying to control them. Early on in the evolution of Champion plastic we had unwanted bubbles and fought to get rid of them. Now, we are embracing and controlling the pattern. I think it's very cool and am very proud of my son, who is the architect of the technique."

Seems to me that this whole blizzard thing will not take. Yay, lighter discs (down to 130g!!) and cool looking plastic; Boo, diminishing the structural integrity of the disc. I would think a good smack into a tree would cause near instant disintegration of the flight plate.
But thats just my educated guess.

good points manu and booter. can't wait to see what discraft can do to try and hang with blizzard... will innova start charging the other companies 5 cents a disc so they can get their blizzard fix on?

More distance in disc technology has not proven to be a game changer as proven with course ratings and scoring stats over the past 12 years. More accuracy might be a game changer. But more distance appears to have been offset with lower accuracy due too overstability and "skippiness" from wider rims.

I agree, just bought a blizzard wraith yesterday and while i haven't gotten more than a few throws with it, I think it will prove to be a good reliable hyzer flip disc.

But i will say that they are a shaky as far as molding up well, all of the wraiths i felt at GGGT had a weird gash in the bottom of the rim (didn't think to check the other molds). but i think this will Iron out soon as they work the process a little more

great points!

over at the pdga forum dave d reveals that his son had a lot to do with the technology:

"Fortunately, my son is a little smarter than I am and can hold more variables in his head than I can. He is largely responsible for the evolution of the technique. The molding has evolved into, what I think is an acceptable and marketable product that does not have bubbles in the flight plate, just the rim. We started with bubbles everywhere, but that often produced unacceptable visual results. I've heard lots of speculation about what the bubbles do dynamically to the flight. Interesting at times. The ultimate shape is not due to the bubbles, but other factors that occur with trying to control them. Early on in the evolution of Champion plastic we had unwanted bubbles and fought to get rid of them. Now, we are embracing and controlling the pattern. I think it's very cool and am very proud of my son, who is the architect of the technique."

But I like the look with bubbles everywhere! They should keep it on the flight plate.

Seems to me that this whole blizzard thing will not take. Yay, lighter discs (down to 130g!!) and cool looking plastic; Boo, diminishing the structural integrity of the disc. I would think a good smack into a tree would cause near instant disintegration of the flight plate.
But thats just my educated guess.

not according to dunipace:

hey are much easier to whip, they carry farther, they make my bag lighter when I have several, they do well with hitting trees as they don't seem to taco as much, they seem to have a little less low speed overstability. Subjectively, they are more fun and I don't seem to get as tired.

I would think you get more distance from the same weight Blizzard discs if the bubbles are in the flight plate versus the rim since a bit more weight would be to the outside.

Its not made of sugar. Dozens of people had them and used them this weekend with minor wear like reg champ. If u havnt thrown one,u might want to so u can educate your assumptions a little better hiflyer

Last edited:
More distance in disc technology has not proven to be a game changer as proven with course ratings and scoring stats over the past 12 years. More accuracy might be a game changer. But more distance appears to have been offset with lower accuracy due too overstability and "skippiness" from wider rims.

but what about joe newbie just picking up the game, not caring one bit about the science of the game and just wanting to throw farther than his buddy playing a casual round? isn't that where the majority of disc sales come from.. joe newbie?

Latest posts