• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova trying to stay popular??

I don't necessarily agree that putting out more high speed drivers than anything else is benefiting less skilled players. My two cents to Innova is to put out more mid-speed drivers than just faster and faster discs. When I first started the fastest thing out there was the Orc and it took me a while before I would even start throwing one of those. Someone posted the mid ranges/super class discs released in the last few years and there's no real in between from those to the Destoyer, Boss, Xcaliber... that has been put out. But I guess Innova is more focused on the faster discs and trying to make them more beginner friendly to bring in more cash.

I magine that, a company more focused on the bottom line than serving their customers. :doh:

they've already brought back both the san marino and ontario roc. if they thought there was anything besides a niche market for any of the rest i'm sure we'd see more of them return... what discs do you think would sell well if they were brought back? i'd love to see some old mold whippets recreated but i doubt there are that many other folks who feel the same way since there are now ten gazillion overstable drivers out there. same goes for griffins and soft piranhas.

I know this post is going to be super vague as I have no real information but...

Someone yesterday said that Innova was coming out with a new putter. I don't remember who said it but at the time I remember feeling like they knew what the heck they were talking about. :|

that's the wedge. A fast putter slow mid type. Between a xd/classic roc.

A lot of this has to do with that people WANT new discs. People are quick to recommend new stuff or buy new stuff vs. going and grabbing something that has been out forever. I'm guilty of it! I like trying new stuff when in reality I haven't throw all the stuff that has been around for years.

I have never thrown (that I can recall) an Orc, viking, starfire, or host of other discs from innova. But I would be more prone to try a vulcan just because it is new.

Yes, I realize how silly that is. But hey, at least I KNOW I'm a sucker :)

As for faster drivers....

That has been going on for years and years. Maybe the vast majority of people just haven't been playing that long and don't realize this. Pushing the speed up is nothing new at all. Some people like to complain that it will just "hurt new players". Believe it or not, similar arguements were centered on discs like the Teebird and Valk when they first came out.

"That Teebird is great, but new players shouldn't be throwing that stuff!"

That was back when Innova was trying to push up the speed of discs and the Teebird and Valk were the fastest.

So pushing speeds up is pretty logical, and you can expect that to continue just as it alwasy has.

I think discs like the Mako and the Stalker (Discraft, I know) are cool as they really do perform well as a fiarway disc. The idea of creating new mid-speed discs has less precident than creating high speed plastic, historically.

I think what he means to say is Innova's new discs have ONLY been high speed drivers whereas Discraft has been putting out discs all over the speed range (from the Nuke, Hornet, Buzzz SS, Stalker)

To that thought I'd respond that yes that's true, but another way to look at it is Innova makes multiple runs of existing molds - most notably the Roc - that seem to have slight tweaks.

Mako, Dart, Wedge, Roc +, Teebird +, im probably forgetting others... Also, Innova has more molds and plenty of old molds they can re-tool in different plastics. I mean where do you fit something in between 6-9 speed with 17 molds filling those spots.

Pretty well rounded
13-9 speed 22 discs
8 - 5 speed 23 discs
1-4 speed 24 discs.

Nah, it's supposed to be something else. Just a putter...

No, it is just the wedge.

Also, something to consider. Innova is spending a lot of resources on discmania...they all come from their plant. It's not like they are expanding with new molding machines. So with almost 100 molds its hard to meet demand and production. In addition to the +'s, Groove, dart, katana, wedge, mako, vulcan, wahoo, hydra, and the others I forgot (and the new plastics R-Pro) you have to give them credit for 10 new discmania molds AND a big expansion of their CFR program which is introducing all sorts of discs in new plastics. In the last 3-4 years Innova has released like 20 molds + and 4x that in plastic combinations.

They need to release a gazelle in champion regular run, actually, they need star and pro too.

Mako, Dart, Wedge, Roc +, Teebird +, im probably forgetting others... Also, Innova has more molds and plenty of old molds they can re-tool in different plastics. I mean where do you fit something in between 6-9 speed with 17 molds filling those spots.

Pretty well rounded
13-9 speed 22 discs
8 - 5 speed 23 discs
1-4 speed 24 discs.

Yes others had posted the Dart and Mako before, those kinda got lost in the shuffle in my mind truthfully. However that's still 2 non-high speed drivers to the 4 speed 13's that have come out recently.

The OP's thought was that Discraft has come out with 1 high speed driver, 2 mids, and 1 fairway. More lower speed releases than higher speed. However as previously pointed out that may have to do with Innova having been around longer and having more in-production molds.

I'm not sure you fully understood my post. Roc+ and Teebird+ are actually points in favor of what I said - the concept of re-issuing variations on popular molds as opposed to coming up with new molds entirely. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

They make what sells, and people lose and buy high speed drivers more than putters.

Yup, from a purely business standpoint (which is what they need to focus on if they want to stay around), you make lots of what sells best and right now that's the warp speed drivers. On top of that, high speed discs break in much faster than putters and mids, so people are going to replace them more often even if they don't lose them.

Innova could care less if noobs buy their high speed yet hard to throw properly drivers.

That's because most new players are going to go out every once in a while to get drunk with their buddies. They don't care about technique or disc choice, they want a cool looking and sounding disc, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think it just goes back to the fact that Discraft is for the most part just playing catch-up. I don't mean in quality or anything, just that as the technology progresses, aka the faster they get, is where Innova will grow. Does that make sense? I mean they have already been making slow speed discs years longer than any other manufacturer, so while Discraft, Lat 64, etc are still testing and releasing their putters, mids and slower drivers, Innova has been there and done that.

Innova could care less if noobs buy their high speed yet hard to throw properly drivers.

you mean this to say that innova doesn't care if someone buying their discs can't properly throw it, right?

otherwise, i'd bet a majority of their sales are idiots buying discs way too fast for them, and i think they do care about that.

color me confused...

you mean this to say that innova doesn't care if someone buying their discs can't properly throw it, right?

otherwise, i'd bet a majority of their sales are idiots buying discs way too fast for them, and i think they do care about that.

color me confused...

I'd also bet that a majority of said idiots still like the discs.

color me confused...

Not to get on a soapbox but I think it's a little bit elitist to get down on people like that just for making a sub-optimal choice for their game.

Plus there's no rule that says players will ONLY become good if they throw slower stuff first.

I don't think it is a case of Innova not caring...that's kinda farfetched to connect those dots. They make discs for players of all levels, and they do things like have tips listed on their website for how to become better. Just because newbies buy discs too fast for them out of ignorance doesn't make Innova a conniving company.

DGCR majority advice isn't a proven method of winning world championships...let's not forget that.

High speed drivers usually are not for "noobs" as you call em. Beginners most often cannot throw fast enough to get the higher speed discs to fly correctly for long.