• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(insert pro disc golfer's name) leaving (insert established disc golf company name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
waiting.jpg

WELL...WE'RE WAITING!

McCabes going DD. thats one announcment down. how many more to go?

That's not surprising at all. With McBeth, PP, Ulibarri and Catrina Allen leaving DD, who's left over there? Convers, Liz Lopez, McCabe, Jowers? I know I'm missing a bunch, but I can't access the old team page.

It's honestly a really hard position to be put in. I've been with DD since it started back in 06' (got sponsored at Am worlds) and I've been with Discraft since 09' (got sponsored at the Memorial). Obviously the huge difference is that one was an apparel sponsor and the other was a Disc sponsor. I've witnessed the growth of Rusco's company DD since it was in the basement of a frat house to now having like 3 stores in 3 different states I believe. (KS, MO, TX correct me if I'm wrong). Rusco is an amazing individual and I totally like the direction he is taking disc golf. Discraft has always been there for me as well though and makes amazingly consistent plastic. It's not as personal of a relationship but they have treated me great. I honestly feel fortunate that they even sponsored me to this day. The hard part comes down to, do I stay with what I already know or go with something completely new? Obviously there has to be something outweighing that decision.

As for the sponsorships I honestly don't know what to expect from DD or Discraft. I know that with Discraft it's team level based. So if I stayed with them I'd be looking at 150 discs next year for my allocation and the normal $$$ Bonus's for top 4 in an A-tier and higher. That is if the sponsorships stay the same next year, which it sounds like they might be changing some things but won't tell us till next year.

As for DD I have a general idea what I'd be looking at but he's working on the team documents currently and doesn't want to release them till they're finalized (which makes sense). I know that Rusco would get me what I needed though and would do his best to make sure each team member is happy.

So as far as choosing based on sponsorship criteria, that's not gonna happen seeing as how I'm not even positive on exactly what I'm getting from either. That means I am going to make my decision purely on the discs that I will be throwing and the company I see growing themselves and myself the most.

Great insight Pat, thanks for being open and honest with us.

Refering to PatBlazek's post, first off, that is very cool that he was as candid as he was. I think details beyond that are none of our business.

However, if it was me personally, I would be annoyed with both DD and DC for not providing details of sponsorship in 2013. When I take a new job, I know ALL the details. Salary, bonuses, benefits, vacation, etc. I got burned once by a company that had really crappy health insurance. It was so bad, I went out and bought my own health insurance policy on my own. If I'm not familiar with the health insurer, I've even have asked for a copy of the policy to verify the coverage they provide prior to accepting the job. The company offering me the position was a little put off, but after explaining how I got burned, they understood and provided it to me.

I'm not saying pros should get health insurance or a salary, what I'm saying is they should be aware of the explicit details of the sponsorship. If a company wasn't willing to share the exact details with me, the prospective sponsored player, I would be leary of continuing the relationship. My thought would be, 'what are you hiding?' It's 3 days until deadline, and you don't know how you are going to sponsor me?

Last edited:
Refering to PatBlazek's post, first off, that is very cool that he was as candid as he was. I think details beyond that are none of our business.

However, if it was me personally, I would be annoyed with both DD and DC for not providing details of sponsorship in 2013. When I take a new job, I know ALL the details. Salary, bonuses, benefits, vacation, etc. I got burned once by a company that had really crappy health insurance. It was so bad, I went out and bought my own health insurance policy on my own. If I'm not familiar with the health insurer, I've even have asked for a copy of the policy to verify the coverage they provide prior to accepting the job. The company offering me the position was a little put off, but after explaining how I got burned, they understood and provided it to me.

I'm not saying pros should get health insurance or a salary, what I'm saying is they should be aware of the explicit details of the sponsorship. If a company wasn't willing to share the exact details with me, the prospective sponsored player, I would be leary of continuing the relationship. My thought would be, 'what are you hiding?' It's 3 days until deadline, and you don't know how you are going to sponsor me?

I agree 100%.

Since they're not really laying it out there what the details are, they're kind of forcing you go with your heart and not your head and potentially what's the better deal for you. It's smart business wise for the company but sucks for the player debating both companies.

It would be nice to know what to expect in 2013 from Innova and Discraft....I hope they maintain or increase their current level of support.

Totally agree with where you are coming from Rob. But, I really can't argue with either company's decision on how they want to do their sponsorship though, seeing as how I feel fortunate to even have a sponsor, let alone 2 of them. I wish I could get more info but if I can't then that's okay, at least I still get to choose :)

Not sure I can say the specifics of the bonus $$$ on here, but I'm sure others know. Also it's different for A-tiers, NT's, and Majors. Obviously it's more for the bigger ones.

Last edited:
And we wont know till next year, yay add to the suspense even more

I don't know how they really expect anyone to honor the Jan 1st deadline without this info...or without at least stating there will be no reduction in sponsorship support.

I don't know how they really expect anyone to honor the Jan 1st deadline without this info...or without at least stating there will be no reduction in sponsorship support.
Um, yeah, exactly. And that team email was so vague, like they are doing it this way because of all the drama that's going on. I think that if they want us to stay on the team they would try a lil harder is all :(

Not sure I can say the specifics of that on here, but I'm sure others know. Also it's different for A-tiers, NT's, and Majors. Obviously it's more for the bigger ones.

25 discs for 1st at B-tiers...10 for 2nd

10 discs for 1st at a C-tier.

The cash bonuses I don't remember the exact numbers but something like this;
A-tier
4th -100
3rd-$150 (maybe $200)
2nd $250-$300
1st Think it was $350-400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts