• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentional Foot Fault

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
Scenario:
You have a 20 foot putt. You release the disc, and immediately you know it is way off target, not going to make it, no way, so you step towards the basket with your off foot. A clear foot fault, your first of the round.

"Foot fault" is called and seconded and you get to putt again with no penalty.

End Scenario

Have you ever seen this happen? Who said a foot fault is always a bad thing? :D

:popcorn:

Legal, yes.
Ethical???

I'd say it violates "the spirit of the game."
Foot fault warning is for legit foot faults, not for 1 free mulligan on a bad putt.

Suppose it depends on:
1) What's at stake.
2) How able you are to live with yourself doing it.
Ultimately, what others think about it really shouldn't mean squat.

Last edited:
The rules allow it, therefore it is legal. If doing this is not in the spirit of the rule, then the rule needs to be changed to be more explicit. If you can use the rules to your advantage, there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, I would never actually do that myself, but I did see it happen once.

Legal, yes.
Ethical???

I'd say it violates "the spirit of the game."
Foot fault warning is for legit foot faults, not for 1 free mulligan on a bad putt.

Suppose it depends on:
1) What's at stake.
2) How able you are to live with yourself doing it.
Ultimately, what others think about it really shouldn't mean squat.

agreed. i think i would bring that up to the TD even. the whole foot fault inside the circle thing was kinda more intended for made putts not horribly missed ones.
this could be a violation as well. take for example its the last hole of a tournament, you are tied for first. if you make the putt you win, if not its a tie. you putt and right away realize its not going in, you then purposely "fall" forward. call a foot fault on yourself and it gets seconded. you make your mulligan putt and win. that to me would be extortion of the rules and i would think thats a violation.
whoever called the fault and seconded it should be slapped. :p

What rule is violated?

future politician. quoting out of context. key phrases 'to me' and 'i would think'

i do not know, id have to read the competition manual. theres etiquette and procedure rulings in there but i dont know them well enough or care to look them up right now. thats why i would discuss it with the TD.

Only been in two tournaments, still learning tournament play. But, is the first foot fault called in a round always a "free rethrow"? That sounds a little silly to me.

Last edited:
Only been in two tournaments, still learning. But, is the first foot fault called in a round always a "free rethrow"? That sounds a little silly to me.

yes. and the rethrow is more intended for made putts on the fault but like most of the rules has been distorted from its intent and not re-worded by the rules committee to fix that. (it helps that pros are on that committee and they like to 'take advantage' of things like that. so i wouldnt expect this to disappear anytime soon)

So the person in questions image and self respect is worth only 1 stroke? You can't make enough rules to stop scummy people from being scumbags. To say the scenario you mentioned goes against the spirit of the game, and competition in general, is puting it lightly.

Barry Schultz did something like this, I don't know the details exactly, but he called a foot fault on himself then made the second putt.

yes. and the rethrow is more intended for made putts on the fault but like most of the rules has been distorted from its intent and not re-worded by the rules committee to fix that. (it helps that pros are on that committee and they like to 'take advantage' of things like that. so i wouldnt expect this to disappear anytime soon)

Hmmm, good to know. I haven't had this issue yet, I just figure if I make putts and stay behind my disc/mini I'll be just fine

Apparently this procedure is quietly understood among some tour players as their occasional mulligan option. The player will make what they know is a bad throw and do something to make it look like a foot fault and call it. It's not uncommon that another player will second it. I believe the foot fault rule should be modified so the thrower is not allowed to be the first to call a foot fault but would be allowed to second it.

Only been in two tournaments, still learning tournament play. But, is the first foot fault called in a round always a "free rethrow"? That sounds a little silly to me.

Depends on what you consider "free". If your warning and rethrow come on your last throw of the round, then I guess you could call that a "freebie". If it happens early in the round, your rethrow comes with a warning that the rest of the group is going to be watching you more closely. If you can purge that thought from your mind and not have it bother you on the rest of your throws for that round, yeah, call it a "freebie".