• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is concrete overrated: Poll

Are concrete tees overrated?

• yes

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 213 76.1%

• Total voters
I honestly prefer crushed stone on a flat even surface. better grip rain or shine. never gets slippery. But concrete works good too if the if its large enough.

and for those talking about drop offs and puddles at the front, why not petition your course maintainers to pour semi-circles at the front, with a toe line where the end of the current pad is a la flip city (i think) ?

One of the tricks to concrete teepads that I guess most don't do is to lightly brush a texture into the teepads when you pour them. This allows for a little grippiness even in wet conditions. Having the pads flush with the ground would be nice, most of ours aren't flush, they're 2-3" off the ground so it can be tricky.

One of the tricks to concrete teepads that I guess most don't do is to lightly brush a texture into the teepads when you pour them. This allows for a little grippiness even in wet conditions. Having the pads flush with the ground would be nice, most of ours aren't flush, they're 2-3" off the ground so it can be tricky.

interesting point here...

i'm so used to stepping UP ONTO the pads at all the st. louis courses, i imagine flush pads would take me some getting used to, but that is a cool idea.

I've been filling around some of the teepads at Bluemont to bring them back to grade. It reduces the trip hazard and cushions the tree roots a bit. Ran out of dirt after doing the tees on 1,4,7,8 & 9.

Here is the teeing area on hole 9 about halfway through the process.
tees9togradebluemont.jpg

Two 18" x 18" concrete pavers were placed at the front of each tee to prevent the follow through divot from forming.

I think Craiger had it right at Seneca. It's easier to dig a 4" deep tee installed at grade than it is to fill around a raised teepad.

Concerete does not require maintenance, so for public courses I say that is the way to go.

I hope that in time as our sport grows that pay to play courses will have better teepads. However I don't think we can expect parks and rec to maintain carpet, rubber, or turf teepad. We are lucky enough if they will pour some concrete.

Being 6'2" it seems like most concrete pads are not long enough anyway.

Last edited:
I voted "no." When I don't like a course, I'm usually upset about layout or tees. I don't really care about baskets, and signs are hit or miss. Consider the options for tees, though. The most used forms are grass, rubber, and concrete. Others are out there, but these are the main options. We all know grass sucks, so it's really only rubber and concrete to compare. Having played a bunch of courses, I feel more comfortable on concrete tees. It just feels more "put together" and as if someone actually cares about the course.

I voted "no" when the poll was first put up. I've since changed my mind on the matter a little. On courses that see a lot of traffic, concrete is most likely the best answer.

In the meantime, I've played several more courses, many of which don't have, and will probably never have concrete tees. Natural tees are fine, as long as they are relatively level, and are even. Sugaree has framed carpet tees, and they're great, as good as any concrete tee, and better IMHO than many. One of my favorite courses was a temp course set up in a mountain neighborhood in western NC, with only flags for tees, and a mish-mash of baskets. The tees were level and smooth, and the course was great. So, I'm now of the opinion that concrete tees can be overrated.

No. I love a good concrete pad. But a good level drit tee can be better then a worn, cracked cement tee.

here in mi almost all the concrete pads are flush, should be no other way... i am one of those wierdo s who play disc in flip flops exclusively and i drive barefoot... i like the concrete better because i can grip it with my feet whereas if there is the slightest bit of moisture around rubber or dirt get real slippy... rubber also has to be moved a lot in this area because everything is sand... nothing like a bumpy tee pad... i guess it really depends on where you are...

Latest posts