• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is concrete overrated: Poll

Are concrete tees overrated?

• yes

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 213 76.1%

• Total voters
without a doubt. safety and functionality can be had in any number of different types of tees that are less hard on the body to use over time.

I had to do it after reading a few posts on other threads and was surprised others might feel the same way as I do. Concrete to me:
is a waste of money that could be spent on baskets or rubber tees
usually get slick from most players using them to kick mud of feet
prevents future changes to course...your stuck with that 260 footer even after the trees are gone and the tight expert lanes have opened up into beginner friendly highways
are ugly to non dg players
to be effective have to be huge expensive globs and these are just awful on the eyes unless works of art like blue valley in KC
You can actually get injured on them if too grippy when u plant/spin or can be too slick at the other end of spectrum
Basically they have benefits but the negatives are just as strong....so in the end are the really a LONG term improvement?

I'd rather have flexibility and go with something more nature friendly...don't get me wrong I love concrete tees but I don't think they are as absolutely critical as many will have u believe.

consistency from one to the next is their biggest advantage but that can also be had other ways. my favorite is framed, tamped crusher run with something on top of it (carpet, artificial turf, rubber, etc) to keep it from pitting.

Oh rutted natural is the worst, unmaintained is terrible but I think well maintained and properly installed rubber are better choices. Trees fall and fairways change...concrete is forever...think about that.

I definitely agree with the "concrete is forever" point, but I voted "no" because concrete is much better than uneven surfaces which are asking for a rolled ankle or injured knee -- although it is a great feeling when you fall on your ass but your teeshot was so good you don't care! I once ripped a really nice drive as I stepped off the teepad into a huge puddle, I just stood there in the puddle and watched my drive because it was so pretty.

concrete is a big bonus to me

Only played with rubber once and loved them. I do however prefer concrete over anything else. Rubber is a very close second.

best is ball golf putting green turf over crusher run framed and tamped- "grange grass". good under any conditions and easy on the body.

no argument that poorly installed/maintained anything sux.

so does not level. this is one of the flaws at my course that is being slowly improved.

i loved concrete when i was younger but there's no arguing that there's a long-term degenerative effect of doing anything repeatedly on very hard surfaces. even short rounds on concrete tees make my knees throb more than a full round at Hawk Hollow.

Concrete is not overrated. Zero maint.

Maint. issues with
Natural = muddy ruts
Crushed= boxed in ruts
Rubber= not consistently flat

I have fairly bad knees for my age, and I've never had any problems with concrete tees. In fact, I prefer them over other types, except for maybe brick.

I agree with some of your points but I think there are also numerous cons with the rubber pads. I've seen them rip and wear out with time, at Starr-Jaycee park near Detroit there is a concrete pad that went under the knife of a giant mower and got destroyed. I also think that rubber pads get much more slick especially here in the Pacific NW where it can be very drizzly 9 months out of the year. At my old home course of Pier Park, a solid 4.5 layout. There used to be rubber pads, then the local club switched to well made concrete pads and it was a huge improvement.

What I will say though is that I think natural or rubber pads being in place for the first 6 months or so might not be such a bad idea so that changes to the course can be made.

Are concrete tees overrated?

No, no, a thousand times no.
Concrete is the best material for tees that I have played on.
Asphalt, rubber, astro-turf over dirt, stone, pebbles...
After concrete, it's all downhill.

I like concrete but I am not a snob about them like others....I will throw off a pile of dried dog crap if there is a course with dog poop tees.

The reason I voted no on concrte being overrated is because all concrete is the same, it is level and it provides sure footing. I have yet to play any other surface that is that consistent that is why I think concrete (or pavers, or asphalt) are generally necessary).

Concrete tees if handled appropriately can be moved and do not have to be locked in place. Basically they become preformed pads, first you remove the concrete pad, then you build up the new area with the same gravel you used for the first teepads, compact it, set the old piece of concrete in and then fill in around the concrete with more gravel (or just frame the concrete in place with 2x4). Then all you have to do is topdress the old area with soil and seed.

It isn't as hard as it might sound nor would it cost that much and every parks department would have the equipment to move the pads from one area to the next and to do all of the excavation and reinstallation work.

It sounds like another thing I can add to my list of services to offer parks and private DG course owners. It isn't that hard nor would it cost that much money to do either.

Latest posts