• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Cheating?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played Lexington not long ago and had the luxury of playing with two of the top club guys. Was very enjoyable playing with them. Had they not been along; it would have been a tough navigation. That is a very good course; but with some navigation issues. This falls under the good course; with poor navigation issues category. They are currently working with the parks department to share some space with a mountain biking trail. As they get these issues resolved, they will be able to pin point where the course will exist; things may have to change a bit. This tourney, so I was told, is partially being held to improve just some of the issues you are talking about. Kevin, had you read my review, you would have noted navigation is an issue and that you should have made contact prior to going. Be prepared to play some tight fairway disc. If the guys we met were any indication of the club in general, you should meet a bunch of great people, play a good course, and have a blast.

Hey Drew, how ya doin? TD is such fun huh? Thanks again for the tour when the Wisconsin boys were in town. Kevin is a good guy; make sure he has fun. :) He showed us around Charlie Vettner; prior to Veterans (same day)...small world :)

Last edited:
Thanks to the TD for taking time to post a few facts.

Ah, yes, a good reminder that sometimes poor signage is beyond the control of local disc golfers---part of re-design of the course, construction, parks department constraints, or all of the above.

You have my sympathy on the trails....at Earlewood Park, a very nice short course, the city has recently run walking trails all through the course, across or right up the middle of fairways, and in areas where blind drives come crashing down. AND, there's no room to alter the course. Sigh.

Hey Drew, how ya doin? TD is such fun huh? Thanks again for the tour when the Wisconsin boys were in town. Kevin is a good guy; make sure he has fun. :) He showed us around Charlie Vettner; prior to Veterans (same day)...small world :)

Good to hear from ya again Paul! Just dealin with the normal TD nonsense. Busy turning lemons into limeade.

Sorry about cutting my long post from before short got a call from my Mom as I couldn't talk to her yesterday to wish her a happy Mom's Day due to work. But that's beside the point.

Ok where was I , ahh yea, Friday

I have played many tournaments and of all of them the ones I was most impressed by, whether big or small, were the ones that had Friday check in. This eliminated the Saturday scramble for both players and TD's and in the case of playing multiple courses made travel much easier. One of the gripes the last few years was the Saturday scramble to get everyone to the appropriate course on time and If you have 100 people trying to sign up day of it doesn't help especially if it involves having to shift the pools that day.

The Players meeting is not mandatory alto it is recommended so that you know the rules/ob's and just in case your division gets shifted to a different start course, which in this case isn't much of a big deal as the 2 courses are close together, but we still wanted to eliminate as many hassles as possible.
If you have already pre-reg/paid I'll count that as a check in. If you have done so and at last minute can't come just check in with me so I can make the adjustments to the cards. The Friday check in/registration is mainly for the procrastinators who sign in last minute of which our sport is famous for.

So in short If you already registered/paid. Show up Saturday, alto I recommend getting to the course early as opposed to 5 minutes before start time. Players meeting is however recommended but not manditory. We will now for sure whos playing where by then.

Unless 100 people show up at 8:30pm. You never know. ;)

Just caught this post this morning.
Ok I'll explain some things that are going on as far as the courses and the tournament.
1) Shillito - We lost a few holes due to a paved walking trail that was/is being installed running right through the middle of some holes. It was a raw deal that the city would decide to do this but luckily we were able to save the course by adding/deleting/shifting a few holes around to avoid any future ramifications from lawsuits.
As part of the deal the redesign budget got piggybacked onto the trail budget so the city is paying for it completly. This includes new pads/pin placements for all effected holes. Also in the deal we are supposed to get all new tee signs for both Shillito and Veterans Park.

All of this was supposed to be done no later than April 2010, well before the Open as I was very adamant about making sure there was ZERO construction during the tournament. As you can see that didn't happen. :wall: Out of everyone involved I'm probably the most pissed as such as I, 1) am the Main TD this year of the Lexington Open, 2) being the Co-Designer of the re-design I take all of the criticism personally but also with a grain of salt.

The main problem right now it the lack of signage, as noted, for both courses. We will have temp signage up before the tournament. I am actually supposed to be meeting with Parks and Rec today to pick up the temp tee sign posts and get them in the ground. I'm sort of leery about doing this at this time because of the punks who like to rip stuff out of the ground but I agree it needs to be done. the Temp signs will be attached Thursday as to minimize theft/vandalism. For right now the best thing for me to do is mark the tees with paint and make sure the next tee signage is up.

Once again I apologize personally for your bad experience you incurred at Shillito.

Now...Veterans Park
The main issue, and this has been the case for many years, is the lack of/poor signage. As stated above getting new signage for Vets is in the works but since the city is in control of this, we are at the mercy of the bureaucratic wheel. In the mean time we'll have temp signage up for the tornament(and before) but I don't want to get it up too early as it'll get torn down and thrown around. So the signage will be up again by Thursday.

I am a guide for both courses so if you need help finding your way about please feel free to give me a shout out and I'll show you around.

ok one sec got a call...

Ill be back to explain the friday sign up.........

Thanks for your honesty and i accept your apology. i understand what can happen when you are at the mercy of city government. like I had said, I didn't think it was intentional. I wasn't happy with the situation, but it is what it is. We deal with it. With the players meeting being at 8:30 I should have time for a walk through on friday with a friend that knows both courses.

Thanks for the confirmation and the advice. I can use all of that, that I can get.

Thanks for the confirmation and the advice. I can use all of that, that I can get.

I'm another of the Lexington regulars and second what Drew has already posted. If the Walking Trail/ Bike Trail stuff doesn't end soon we are going to need to buy him a hair piece to cover the bald spots.

I am the Course TD for Vets and will be there from Friday (~10:00am ) until the final round on Sunday. I also happen to live about 3 minutes away. if anyone is coming in Friday and wants a tour just let me know and I can work in a quick tour while highlighting a few "local routes" - If you throw forehand.

A group of the locals have made a big effort to get Veterans cleaned up and minimize the construction issues at Shillito. We will have temp signs in place at the course and handouts at the players meeting.

How's it going Paul, Jerry Dobbins here - I was the other guy with the group at Vets.

Paul is correct - Get ready for a few tight fairways at Vets. The alleys are there but some days it can be unforgiving. Shillito redesign has went well we just wish it had been 100% finished (which it was supposed to be) prior to this weekend.

Hope to see some people down here and Drew has done everything possible to work with Parks and the Club to pull this off.

Always willing to be a tour guide at Vets so let me know if passing through the area.

Jerry D

It's been a while since I played the Lexington courses, but it looks as if the maps here on DGCR were updated in March. It's really nice to see a better map for Veterans, nice job.

How's it going Paul, Jerry Dobbins here - I was the other guy with the group at Vets.

Hey Jerry, was nice shooting with you as well. Hope things go real well this weekend. And, a big thanks out to all the locals helping make the courses better...

OH MY GOD!!

Granted i have only been playing for three years...thats nothing compared to you're 20.7 years of playing experiences, but for the love of god....SHUT UP!!! if you're going to drive to and fro from Lexington to Louisville everyday, that's your own stupid fault.:doh: get a hotel room, find a campground...even sleep in your backseat...just stopping being a little girl!! i do agree that it's hard for first timers to follow the signs, but i doubt it, and will call you a liar to your face, that there were no other players out on the course the day you came into town...if it'll make you feel better, i'll hire someone to lead you around, or maybe it'd be better to put signs up for you?? big banners with your name on it, and arrows the size of your GMC Sierra pointing you in the right direction.....awww, screw it, i'm just gonna get you a compass and a map.....did you even read the bulletin board?? take a picture of the map that's posted, and figure it out....here, i'll say it in spanish "Tu es mucho estupido gringo puto.....comprehende??":thmbup:

No I'm just pissed because the course is impossible to follow and I wasted a day and gas money trying to learn the course in vain. It would be nice to have a local show me around and show me the different shots available on each hole. That would be like a hometown advantage. I don't even have the benefit of knowing the proper layout before-hand, even if I spend the time, energy and cash to pursue this knowledge. It is reasonable to assume that a course is going to be easy enough to follow for a first timer. Most courses have a sign or two missing but after a little looking around you should be able to figure it out. This was not the case. By the course being this confusing and not having signs up, the hometown advantage goes way the hell up there.

you know, all this coming from a dude who lives in the same town as the course at Iroquix....talk about a clutster phuck....there weren't any signs, not even tee pads...hell, some of the boxes had carpeting!!! who's redneck idea was that?? and yet my buddy and i asked one person who was playing in front of us, and we had a blast!! no signs, no tee pads, no numbers, and yet we still got a full round of eighteen in....stop being a pussy!!:doh:

you know, all this coming from a dude who lives in the same town as the course at Iroquix....talk about a clutster phuck....there weren't any signs, not even tee pads...hell, some of the boxes had carpeting!!! who's redneck idea was that?? and yet my buddy and i asked one person who was playing in front of us, and we had a blast!! no signs, no tee pads, no numbers, and yet we still got a full round of eighteen in....stop being a pussy!!:doh:

Yeah, Iroquois is under construction. It's playable while it's under construction. But there's a little difference. WE DON'T HAVE A MAJOR TOURNAMENT PLANNED UNTIL THE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE FINISHED. The carpet was better than muddy ground until the teepads were poured.

There were some guys at Shillito when I first got there and they actually showed me which direction the basket for #6 was. After that I didn't see another soul until I was completely frustrated and back at the parking lot ready to leave. Nowhere at any of our courses do we ask people to walk through a long ass muddy tunnel through a bunch of underbrush. Nowhere do we have people walking around a blind corner headlong into the fairway of one of the longer holes on the course (basket #6 to teepad #7). I skipped a bunch of holes after #8, the sign to the "next teepad" pointed at the teepad for #14 I think it was, I don't think the sign at the tee had a #. That's where I skipped a bunch of holes. After #16 the sign pointed at a tee with no sign and not an obvious basket in sight. After about an hour trying to figure the rest of the course out and a trip through the hobbit hole I was done trying to figure **** out.

It was not my intention to run the Lexington courses or local group down. I wasn't going to mention the city or the courses. Someone else felt the need to reveal that info. I was asking the opinion of others about the ethics of not having a course navigable less than a week ahead of a big tournament, because I'm new to tournament competition. If that ruffles your feathers, oh well. I'm sorry that you guys have had a hard time with the city and the construction projects and progress. Like I said in my last post, we will have to deal with it.

I strongly suggest that you resist all urges that you may have, to get in my face and call me a liar. If you do, you will find out rather quickly that I'm anything but a pussy. You can bank on that.

ethug22.jpg

Yeah, Iroquois is under construction. It's playable while it's under construction. But there's a little difference. WE DON'T HAVE A MAJOR TOURNAMENT PLANNED UNTIL THE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE FINISHED. The carpet was better than muddy ground until the teepads were poured.

There were some guys at Shillito when I first got there and they actually showed me which direction the basket for #6 was. After that I didn't see another soul until I was completely frustrated and back at the parking lot ready to leave. Nowhere at any of our courses do we ask people to walk through a long ass muddy tunnel through a bunch of underbrush. Nowhere do we have people walking around a blind corner headlong into the fairway of one of the longer holes on the course (basket #6 to teepad #7). I skipped a bunch of holes after #8, the sign to the "next teepad" pointed at the teepad for #14 I think it was, I don't think the sign at the tee had a #. That's where I skipped a bunch of holes. After #16 the sign pointed at a tee with no sign and not an obvious basket in sight. After about an hour trying to figure the rest of the course out and a trip through the hobbit hole I was done trying to figure **** out.

It was not my intention to run the Lexington courses or local group down. I wasn't going to mention the city or the courses. Someone else felt the need to reveal that info. I was asking the opinion of others about the ethics of not having a course navigable less than a week ahead of a big tournament, because I'm new to tournament competition. If that ruffles your feathers, oh well. I'm sorry that you guys have had a hard time with the city and the construction projects and progress. Like I said in my last post, we will have to deal with it.

I strongly suggest that you resist all urges that you may have, to get in my face and call me a liar. If you do, you will find out rather quickly that I'm anything but a pussy. You can bank on that.

Do you hear that guys?? Sounds like Kevin is lost again.....seriously dude....are you sure you've been playing for twenty years? Really? Sounds to me like only five days. "The course is too muddy for my delicate feet...I'm used to playing on open fields, away from mother nature....wah, wah, wah"

Just wait, wait until it rains while you're at Vet's...it'll make that hobbit hole look like a spring retreat...you're probably the type of dude who cries if he gets his socks wet....disc golf is not the sport for you man, bow out now....oh, and if you think that we'd get in your face and call you a liar, think again.. Just remember...those who post whiney crap online on OPEN forums...yeah, those are the guys who lose big time...i doubt you'll be winning your division at all. Ever see Goonies??:popcorn: Imagine a disc golf course through there....imagining it yet?? There's Vet's for you...have fun with that.

Oh, and no one is going to point you in the wrong way on purpose, but we're gonna have a ton of fun with you tomorrow.......:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts