• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is my disc disc still legal?

I believe any puncture of the flight plate makes the disc illegal for tourney play. In this case, if the damage was done to the wing I would call it legal. It is really no different than, let's say, a dog gets a hold of your disc (instead of a lawn mower) and puts a bite mark that punctures the flight plate. The dog bite makes that disc illegal.

I threw a bright green star destroyer OB and it landed in someone's backyard with a pit bull. The damn dog clenched down on my disc and held it in it's mouth for almost 7 holes. In a way it was kinda funny because as I was going through the course I could see the dog in the distance with the disc still in his mouth running back and forth along the fence. I swear he was keeping an eye on me each time I looked back, as if to say "look what I got". After the round the disc was "retrieved" and there were about 3 semi-punctures in the disc, however neither were fully perforated, or punctured completely through the disc. The disc is still legal and I still use it to this day. The disc flies true like any of my other destroyers, no issues with it.

The key is as long as it is not perforated.

perforated (verb) 1.Pierce and make a hole or holes in.

Last edited:
I just want to say that neither Barry or Nikko are pricks if they enforce rules in a PDGA tournament. The rules are there to be enforced, they're just doing their job... Its the rest of us who don't do a good job knowing/enforcing rules in tournaments.

Nobody should be berated because they choose to enforce rules within a PDGA tournament.

Very well said. Just to clarify...I have played once & watched several rounds with Barry, and he is nothing short of an inspirational professional disc golf player. He is extremely professional and well mannered. Nikko has a lot to learn before he can even be brought up in the same sentence as Barry when it comes to this. I only meant to bring up the ongoing battle between the two. It is common knowledge that they don't much like each other while playing a round together. Barry likes to nit-pick Nikko to death on marginal infractions/non-infractions. And Nikko likes to retaliate in the same manner. It is actually all rather silly in my opinion, but it does exist. Sorry if it sounded like I was picking out Barry and bashing on him, because that is nowhere near my intent. I was honestly just trying to defend my homeboy, Nikko. People just don't seem to realize that rumors aren't always the truth...

Maybe it flies better, huh?

It seems the thought of this board is " oh no, my disc is scratcched. I better replace it" and " i ONLY use prem plastic for consistancy". what a joke. Most real players have discs in their bag for longer then most here have been playing.

My favorite pred is x and missing a chunk- it feels good in the hand and flies like a super tbird!
My fav clone had what looked like a nip off center of the plate.
My challenger has a dog bite.

....Maybe its just the thought process of today- divorce and all- but i really feel if some of you would learn to love your discs a lil longer, then theyll love you back more.

So what constitutes a "real golfer"?

So you like a disc that no longer flies the way it was intended, and that makes you a real golfer.

I like discs that maintain the original flight as long as possible, and that makes me wrong or not a real golfer? Or in your opinion a joke?

Maybe it flies better, huh?

It seems the thought of this board is " oh no, my disc is scratcched. I better replace it" and " i ONLY use prem plastic for consistancy". what a joke. Most real players have discs in their bag for longer then most here have been playing.

My favorite pred is x and missing a chunk- it feels good in the hand and flies like a super tbird!
My fav clone had what looked like a nip off center of the plate.
My challenger has a dog bite.

....Maybe its just the thought process of today- divorce and all- but i really feel if some of you would learn to love your discs a lil longer, then theyll love you back more.

I have some discs that have hit the road with some massive gashes. If it does not change the flight I keep it. but if it is hit by a lawnmower, that usually is too much damage and that sounds like this is the case. I like a good beat disc, but discs with massive chunks removed usually go into the donate bin

Imo, a real player is one that can throw any disc, in any plastic, from any company.
Dont take it personal.

Imo, the intended flight is not the out of the box flight, reguardless of plastic, seeing that they are intended to get beat up a lil. Discs like teebirds arent praised for their out of the box flight....many fresh discs can go straight and fade.....theyre praised for how well they maintain their hss while losing lss. Same with rocs and many others.

Again, dont take it personally, but if you were truly all about initial flight- youd have to buy new discs after every round.
The joke is not you, but yes, it is funny to think of all the benifits of a broken in disc, a base plastic disc, or even both, and to then think of all the players without this realization passing their off barely tried and true methods.

I hear it all the time....
"i like my dx whatever"
"get a champ if you want it to last"

Gross....for all this dd talk and whatnot that this board promotes to new players, plastic advise definitely goes the other way.

I see 10 yr plus discs being used on the reg and im jealous. They can pull lines that no fresh disc can.

@prerube

yeah, jus more on a tangent about the lack of love for baseline here.

...But while you mention it.......depending on the mold, a lil chunk doesnt hurt. Seriously. Its not even a grams worth thats taken out. Baseline, and any plastic ideally, can be tuned.

People throw around the "your disc is now illegal card" around here all the time. Honestly, it's a bit of a joke.

Realistically, it is foolish to throw the disc if it flies differently than before, especially in a negative manner. But I guess if it depends if you still like the disc or not. You would be better off with a disc without said issue. However, if the disc still follows the PDGA rules, you should be fine.

I wish Innova made their DX plastic harder! I have countless gouges, dents and nicks on my Archangel, from throwing it into the basket. It's a good thing it's still legal (regardless of the fact that I do not play tournaments), because it would be pretty ridiculous if it wasn't because of the wear marks. It doesn't fly remotely close to how it did brand new, but it's not really my fault. A disc shouldn't dent from throwing it into a basket.

Well Karottop420, if I give a disc to my friend who adds weight to the rim, is that legal? I didn't modify it.

If it's modified, unless by normal wear, you can't use it.

^^Not This. the rule as i understand is INTENTIONAL modification, giving it to your friend would be intentional, but he did not intentionally throw it under a lawnmower, so its still legal

If anyone wants to know, if you lose a disc in a hay field the round baler will not pick up your disc or hurt it. :|

The rule says INEVITABLE wear and tear IN THE COURSE OF PLAY. So if there was only a chance you would hit that tree, it wasn't inevitable, and the itty bitty scratch resulting from hitting the tree makes your disc illegal. Also, if an inevitable act of god decreed as fate when the universe was formed forces you, against your will, to drop your disc after a round, any ding or scratch resulting from that, although inevitable, did not occur during the course of play, so your disc is now illegal.

come on guys, going a little to deep here. how the hell do you prove intentional modification? howabout this post a pic of the disc. it will be a lot easier to make a judgement. btw if someone called me on a disc that was not complete beat to s*** or with crazy multiple gouges or with a straight hole in it, i would let them know just how much of a jack*** they really are.

If the disc is flying better watch out for new rule: Discs may not be thrown under lawn mowers to improve glide, until then it seems fine.

Guys, it doesn't matter if your disc gets a hole while playing or while you are messing with it to change its flight. It's illegal either way.

But if you paid attention to the rules and the OP, you would know that his disc just has a scratch, not a hole, so it is still legal.

So, I'm out throwing at lafrenire, a shared course, and a guy on a lawn mower runs my chapion leopard over. There isn't a complete slice threw it. No hole or separation in the plastic. There is about a 2 1/2" gouge in the flight plate pushing it up. Is it still tourney legal? I know "I" cant modify the disc. I only get to play one tourney a year, service industry, so I'll still throw it either way, just wanna know. Thanks

I think you should send the disc back to Innova and have them roll out an ad campaign that Innova Champion plastic is the most durable after standing up to a lawn mower.
They might just send you a few new Champ Leos.

come on guys, going a little to deep here.

You know those discs you use for putting practice and field practice? Yeah. those are illegal due to wear and tear incurred during practice, as opposed to during the course of play. Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Latest posts