• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a reason that the PDGA does not follow rules?

So top players are put in one group which makes it very nice for spectators and people complain? :confused:

You're right. It only seems unfair (urban myth) while it's not actually unfair.

under the current economic status of disc golf (basically gambling for one another's money) i do believe it is unfair to a segment of the playing field. one of the incentives for lower level players to sign up for these events is the opportunity to possibly play with a "superpro" for a round. by grouping the "superpros" together you are greatly reducing the odds of that occurring thereby actually potentially reducing the payout for the "superpros" should the lower level guy decide to keep his cash and stay home.

it's not gambling amongst themselves that keeps these guys on the road- it's hundreds of lesser players all over the country who see fit to pony up the dough and play despite the fact that they have little or no chance of beating the touring players. in my opinion it does a dis-service to these effective donors to treat them any differently from the "superpros" before the first disc is thrown in a tournament. the top guys will be playing together soon enough either way.

You're right. It only seems unfair (urban myth) while it's not actually unfair.

So did you run the numbers yourself to prove you are right?....or are we supposed to just believe you?

I bet there is some impact on scores (although like you said it may not be statistically significant or even a strong relationship) but I would rather see the results of these tests than just take what you say as the truth.

Probably should have chosen this as my stats project instead of estimating the price of a diamond.

under the current economic status of disc golf (basically gambling for one another's money) i do believe it is unfair to a segment of the playing field. one of the incentives for lower level players to sign up for these events is the opportunity to possibly play with a "superpro" for a round. by grouping the "superpros" together you are greatly reducing the odds of that occurring thereby actually potentially reducing the payout for the "superpros" should the lower level guy decide to keep his cash and stay home.

it's not gambling amongst themselves that keeps these guys on the road- it's hundreds of lesser players all over the country who see fit to pony up the dough and play despite the fact that they have little or no chance of beating the touring players. in my opinion it does a dis-service to these effective donors to treat them any differently from the "superpros" before the first disc is thrown in a tournament. the top guys will be playing together soon enough either way.

:clap::clap::clap:

Why would the average 970 player want to pay $100+ if he was going to be seeded from the start, likely not cash, and never get to play with any of the top guys?....I would just spot

Same problem with Worlds. Players are grouped into pools based on their players ratings. Yet we all know players ratings are not 100% accurate.

Shouldn't PRO's playing an event be considered as equals prior to an event starting? I know that players are grouped by score after the first round. But shouldn't it be fair that players are grouped randomly as the PDGA suggests for the first round?

I mean it is in the PDGA rules. Why are these rules changed for certain events?

Where is this waiver that I hear about?

I'm not bored, I just think that the PDGA needs to stick with what they say.

And as much as this pisses me off, what pisses me off even more is that at the Vibram last year, Steve Brinster was sick and went to the hospital. His tee time was supposed to be 2pm or so. Well he calls and says he is running late from the hospital. So what do they do?? They hold his start time until he can make it to the course.

HOW WRONG IS THAT? Had it been me or you, would they hold your tee time for you? Or would they start at the time posted and gibe you par +4.

I'm just really pissed off at the PDGA's inconsistencies. I love disc golf, I love PDGA events, but I don't like people not following rules that are laid out. Supergroups are cool to watch. It makes it more exciting for the live scoring. But it goes against the spirit of the game. ALL PLAYERS ARE EQUAL. EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE GROUPED RANDOMLY. If you want to do a REAL live scoring, put a Marshall every 3 or 6 holes and have them get every players score. Not just the supergroup.

If you are going to make rules or suggestions, follow them. Don't make some imaginary WAIVER to change the rules.

You guys can think I'm whining all you want. I just want to see rules be consistent. No matter what the circumstance.

Biscoe, I love you!! And now I see why you feel the way you do. I'm completely irritated today and none of this even affects me!!

I have supported the PDGA for 15+ years. And I am extremely dissapointed in the way they are doing things right now. Chuck can you please post a copy of this waiver? Does it even exist?

I am pretty sure that this is enough reason for me to want to get my PDGA fees refunded for the year.

Same problem with Worlds. Players are grouped into pools based on their players ratings. Yet we all know players ratings are not 100% accurate.

Shouldn't PRO's playing an event be considered as equals prior to an event starting? I know that players are grouped by score after the first round. But shouldn't it be fair that players are grouped randomly as the PDGA suggests for the first round?

I mean it is in the PDGA rules. Why are these rules changed for certain events?

Where is this waiver that I hear about?

I'm not bored, I just think that the PDGA needs to stick with what they say.

And as much as this pisses me off, what pisses me off even more is that at the Vibram last year, Steve Brinster was sick and went to the hospital. His tee time was supposed to be 2pm or so. Well he calls and says he is running late from the hospital. So what do they do?? They hold his start time until he can make it to the course.

HOW WRONG IS THAT? Had it been me or you, would they hold your tee time for you? Or would they start at the time posted and gibe you par +4.

I'm just really pissed off at the PDGA's inconsistencies. I love disc golf, I love PDGA events, but I don't like people not following rules that are laid out. Supergroups are cool to watch. It makes it more exciting for the live scoring. But it goes against the spirit of the game. ALL PLAYERS ARE EQUAL. EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE GROUPED RANDOMLY. If you want to do a REAL live scoring, put a Marshall every 3 or 6 holes and have them get every players score. Not just the supergroup.

If you are going to make rules or suggestions, follow them. Don't make some imaginary WAIVER to change the rules.

You guys can think I'm whining all you want. I just want to see rules be consistent. No matter what the circumstance.
^ actually, your "rant" makes sense to me; the PDGA establishes these guidelines, asks us to follow them, presumably to provide consistency across events and to give the sport some sort of integrity.
Their waiving them for NT events seems to fly in the face of trying to establish said integrity.

requesting waiver of any rules is part of the sanctioning agreement- i have done it every year for my "2 meters off the barbed wire fence" rule at hawk hollow... bob cannon will be doing it this year as i am not a pdga member so can't run the event.

Likewise, our lowly C-tier requests and is granted a rules waiver every year.

Nothing "imaginary" about it.

A. Professional and Amateur players should not be grouped together, and players competing in different divisions should be segregated from each other during play as much as practicable.

B. All players within a division for the first round should be grouped via two methods:

Maybe you should read the rules a little closer before opening your mouth.

I remember Super Tour events in the early 90s that always did this. I'm not saying they all did by I did witness one where the lead card was Steve Wisecup. Johnny Sias, the owner of the company that sponsored the tournament (he was a nice guy but a beginner golfer) and the TDs wife.
She was a top female pro at the time but he tried to pass it off as that was how the random draw turned out.

While I am no tourney expert, I think super groups in the FIRST round is counter productive. If you wanna grow the sport should you alienate the top guys from the rest of the field. For the most part the final card is guys we all know. Why shouldn't local open guys get a chance to play with Uliberi, Feldberg, Wysoki etc etc.. At least in the FIRST round. After that it's all about what you shoot.

Guy 1: "Yeah man I shot terrible, but I got to play with Dave Feldberg!! Man he is really effing good!"

Guy 2: "No sh!t!! Maybe next year I'll play open!"

I don't know, tell me if I'm way off.

Biscoe. A rule for safety makes sense. As I know I appreciate it at hawk hollow. I'm not even sure why I posted this? I just don't like the taste it leaves in my mouth. I will never group people in this sort of fashion in an event I run. I miss the days when divisions were mixed the first round. I got to play with Elaine Juliana said etc. would never happen now. But I understand why that was changedwhen I became a pro and was paired with rec players. But I still miss those days. I miss the opportunity of playing with people that I only get to see during lunch