• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there money to be made in disc golf

There is money to be made, but it isn't very much. Only the few top pros can make a living playing disc golf, but all of their money doesn't come from just tournament winnings. They run clinics, sell merch, write books, etc.

I would also imagine that the touring pros do find places to stay with friends or something instead of hotels. I heard at the memorial there were people from the local club that volunteered to let people stay at their home. My friend is in a punk band and says that most punk bands just stay at someones house because they can't afford hotels. I can only imagine that this also happens in disc golf.

Will disc golf ever be a big money sport like ball golf? I don't think it will get that big, but I think it will eventually be able to support the top touring pros with a decent payouts (average $75,000 a year with a few over $100,000). Will this happen any time soon? I suspect 25 years of steady growth, but that is just my estimate.

I still am willing to bet that when ESPN 8 The Ocho (they have to use that name from Dodgeball because it is awesome) comes out, they will have live coverage of the 2020 Pro Worlds. I just want to be good enough to play in that competition.

I was at the Canadian nationals this year. Before selling anything or getting paid for sponsorship, Feldberg took a bit more over $1700 (for winning the tournament, a skins match between the winners, and a driving clinic). Even after taking out the costs, that is still a decent amount of money. Especially for doing something you love.

If I wasn't married and if I had the skills, I would pick the life of a touring pro in an instant. Enough money to live on, and TONNES of disc golf. I'd be set =)

Well...I think only a small portion of top pros actually profit from touring. Because there can be a lot of expenses on the road and airfare travel isn't exactly cheap either. I am not sure if there is any pro who makes every major pro event, but sponsors should be picking up flight airfare and car rentals at the very least... leave out the place to stay, cause you definately don't want a sponsor that puts you up in the super 8 when there are much better options for a good nights rest.

However, I think a major push to get disc golf on ESPN is currently underway on Facebook and DiscGolfPlanet.tv is doing a decent job of showing live coverage of PDGA events, but is still working out the kinks. With enough support from disc golfers and most of the large companies that have sprung up around the sport, I think disc golf will be on ESPN 2 within 3 years and hit the main network shortly there after... especially since an Ace in disc golf is much cooler to see than ball golf.

Once ESPN hops on board, pro purses in tournaments will start hitting 150k-250k per major. Attendance will be up and PDGA membership will soar.
But that is just my opinion.

I think the only top pro who is making over $100,000 a year is Jessi Meresmaa because he owns Discmania. The other top pros who make money are the ones who have signature discs. They get a cut of about $0.25 for every disc that is sold that has their signature on it.

If it gets into the Olympics and gains some noteriety as a legit sport, who knows! The future looks bright tho. Makes me wanna keep throwing.

If you had the skills, you could potentially have tournaments lined up for every weekend, and on your way from tournament to tournament, you could make a stop every day at a different course to play in their league and make some extra cash from winning as well as any merch sales from said leagues.

This would allow for tournament winnings to be saved and for weekly league winnings to be used for travel and food and such.

Again, if you could win, you could do it.

you can make money other ways from disc golf other then playing. selling disc golf merchandise is a big market if you have something good and semi unique. disc golf clothing is easy to sell right now because there are only a handful of companys out there that focus on clothing or offer anything worth buying. good bags are a big money maker too, gorilla boy for example. hes got too much business for his own good lol

plenty of money to be made in this sport and still have fun playing and not counting on winning every tournament to put food on the table

Money? I'm sure that if you play your cards right that you might be able to mkae a few bucks....but not enought to retire on in a bout 10 years.

If you ask me?....I'm just a guy who's out to throw some plastic and just have some fun.

Money?

This is what has destroyed every sport out there. "How much money can I make?" Why is it that people find something fun that they might be good at and suddenly put a price tag on it and turn to greed? I just think that a true disc golfer plays for the fun of the game and not for money.

But, maybe that is just me.

Now if you donated all the money you made, that would be worth it.