• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a cool picture or offensive?

Not offended, but I think good taste might restrict its use to disc-golf-related activities---websites, disc stamps, etc.

It might seem a little odd if displayed somewhere unrelated to disc golf. Not that I would expect it to be.

Not offended but, not particularly cool either.

Just another disc golf touch up novelty pic.

The original picture has become a symbol of victory after a hard fought battle that costs lives.
Nothing in disc golf is that serious or even close.

Not offended but also not sure what message this is trying to get across, if any.

I used that super clever mashup for a stamp once. Later decided it was stupid and denied someone reusing it for a different event. Yeah the club put new baskets in, yeah it took a few years of struggle, yeah carrying one up the hill on hole 8 must've been rough, but nobody died. There's a lot behind the photo and turning the thing on a stick into a different thing on a stick doesn't show due respect to the original image.

It's not immediately offensive but it is lazy and stupid, artistically. It's like a visual pun. So, neither. Not offensive but not awesome.

These three consecutive posts sum it up nicely.

Not offended. I wouldn't say that it isn't cool, though. However, my second thought after "yeah, someone might get offended," was, "the 'chains' are denying physics..."

I agree with most of the previous posts: the shopped pic is not offensive per se; but it does beg the question of what message is being conveyed. Some might think the pic is a sarcastic comment after hearing stories about the "battle" to get a course installed.

From Wikipedia:
During World War II, the Japanese built underground tunnel and bunker systems in and on Mount Suribachi. In the spring of 1945, United States Marines invaded the island and initiated a major battle. For the United States, Iwo Jima was an important strategic point between the United States and mainland Japan, a status that resulted in severe fighting that took the lives of nearly 7,000 Americans and 20,000 Japanese.

Not offensive at all, anyone that thinks otherwise needs therapy or a good swift kick in their sensitive pansy a$$.

I can see people who had relatives die in WWII might be offended by an image they thought cheapened the memory of their relative's sacrifice.

Many people are enraged by trivial reuse of symbolic images (national flags, religious icons). I don't think that indicates serious mental issues, although it may be a bit obsessive and misdirected. It certainly doesn't mean they are pansies (whatever that means).

As an aside, I think it's funny (not haha funny) that hippies and other counter culture types were getting hassled for wearing American flag clothing back in the 60's and 70's and now American flag clothing is supposedly the domain of the "real" patriots. The types of people who were offended by the so-called desecration of the flag are now the ones embracing it as a fashion statement.

It seems that given enough time, what was once offensive will eventually become accepted.

Post #23 hit the mark as far I my thoughts on the picture. It kind of trivializes the original.

My turn to ask a question. Would you be offended if someone took the well known photo of the plane hitting the WTC and photo shopped in an Aviar (or similar disc) in place of the jet?

Post #23 hit the mark as far I my thoughts on the picture. It kind of trivializes the original.

My turn to ask a question. Would you be offended if someone took the well known photo of the plane hitting the WTC and photo shopped in an Aviar (or similar disc) in place of the jet?

That would clearly fall into bad taste.

I'd think it silly, and perhaps be perplexed as to what it was supposed to mean, but no. I'm not that easily offended.

One of the men in the photo is my friend's relative. John Bradley was apparently one of the flag raisers and his son, James, wrote Flags of our Fathers. I believe it was his mom's uncle or maybe even her dad.

Anyway, I've played many rounds with my friend and he at least used to be a pretty decent player. So there's that.

John Bradley's widow (Betty Bradley) lived in the condo above my folks until she passed away a couple of years ago.

I am not a graphic artist nor have I served in the arm forces. However, I can only imagine that if I was/did...

1) I might be mildly offended. It does seem to trivialize a historically significant moment in this country's history.

2) The graphic artist in me would be grossly offended. Photo shop does not equal art/design. It is lacking on many levels. Yuck.

The original picture has become a symbol of victory after a hard fought battle that costs lives.
Nothing in disc golf is that serious or even close.

Not offended but also not sure what message this is trying to get across, if any.

This pretty well sums up my reaction. I guess I just don't get the point?