• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a cool picture or offensive?

I'm terribly offended, not one of those guys is holding a disc, not one! Damned hippies!

Actually, the shot is interesting. Many assumed it was staged. The Marines had placed a flag up, in an action of celebration over what they had accomplished, and it raised such a welter of emotions that someone told them to put up a bigger flag. The first raising may have been photographed, but it got some attention from the Japanese who started shooting, and the photographer fell and broke his camera. As I understand it, the second was almost missed because, the guy with the camera was trying to get around a bystander.

As an aside, my grandfather fought in the war, my dad and two of his brothers were army during Korea, and my sister, and two brother-in-laws were Navy. We used to have a different feeling about our military. We respected them and were very grateful, but we didn't canonize them. All of my family agree with the first, and think the second is a mistake. It is the second sentiment that makes people think that this kind of picture is wrong....

One could even make the argument that those men were fighting for our very right to feel however we want to feel about that image. Personally, I don't find it offensive in and of itself, provided that you understand the context of the original photo on which it is based... that's something I'd hate to lose sight of.

Last edited:
Vet checking in:

If you're offended, you should find something else to pour your energy in to.

The original photo bring up many hard memories for family that had to deal with great losses with WW2. I don't find it offensive, however it is a little distasteful for that generation. Would we be having the same conversation if say a large company like Wal-Mart doctored the photo for there flag????

The original photo bring up many hard memories for family that had to deal with great losses with WW2. I don't find it offensive, however it is a little distasteful for that generation. Would we be having the same conversation if say a large company like Wal-Mart doctored the photo for there flag????

Still not offended.
I mean, aside from the fact that anyone spends money at wal-Mart.

The photoshop work is atrocious. I don't find that offensive, but it does make the image a different kind of joke than might have been intended. The subject matter is a bit too silly to rise to the level of offensive in my opinion. It would be kind of like showing George Washington crossing the Delaware with a basket in place of the flag; just random silliness.

One of the men in the photo is my friend's relative. John Bradley was apparently one of the flag raisers and his son, James, wrote Flags of our Fathers. I believe it was his mom's uncle or maybe even her dad.

Anyway, I've played many rounds with my friend and he at least used to be a pretty decent player. So there's that.

Tears were streaming as I finished that book, unashamed, on an airplane.

Count me in the camp of "not offensive to me, but pointless". To compare the difficulties of putting courses in to ANYTHING WWII related risks trivializing efforts of basically an entire generation, but like was said earlier, I don't think that's the point - I think it's just niche interest group photoshopping. It happens in every social circle.

Was Inglorious Bastards offensive? How a bout Hogans heroes? How about any Indiana Jones movie? Not to me. Having respect for what was done in the past does not mean that it is not a legitimate genera to be played with. This comes off as cheesy. Nothing more.

I might be offended if I was Japanese. But I'm not and we won that war so it's fine with me. Too much military nuthuggery in this nation, honestly.

Like so much of the silliness in today's society we confuse the meanings of words, want and need being the most common misuse of words. People routinely interchange best and favorite. They are not the same. To that end I think you'd either have to be overly sensitive, or simply an attention seeking DB to find it "offensive." In poor taste is as far as it should be called.

Like so much of the silliness in today's society we confuse the meanings of words, want and need being the most common misuse of words. People routinely interchange best and favorite. They are not the same. To that end I think you'd either have to be overly sensitive, or simply an attention seeking DB to find it "offensive." In poor taste is as far as it should be called.
:clap::clap: Well said simple. I don't remember the last time that I thought "That really offends me" about anything. I guess it was Piss Christ. Putting Budda, Christ or any religious symbol in a jar of urine isn't art nor is it very creative, it's just a perfect example of not being tolerant. Just try not to let things get to you is probably the best advice for all of us.

Too much military nuthuggery in this nation, honestly.

Son of a veteran here, and as a young kid worrying about whether my dad was coming home or not, I'm going to disagree with you.

Not enough is done to protect, re-assimilate, and provide adequate healthcare for our veterans.

Son of a veteran here, and as a young kid worrying about whether my dad was coming home or not, I'm going to disagree with you.

Not enough is done to protect, re-assimilate, and provide adequate healthcare for our veterans.

You are right, the vets that served in Iraq or elsewhere and have PTSD wind up being prescribed all kinds of pills that put them in a kind of haze as far as their perception. They are already come back different person from when they left and then with all the pills putting in their 2 cents, they wind up getting divorced and sometimes can't see their children because of anger issues or other side effects of PTSD. These are the ones that take their own lives because they have lost everything, including the person that they used to be. I recently saw a stat that said 20% of the soldiers with PTSD wind up committing suicide. Not enough is being done to decrease these numbers.

Reminds me of the shirt Under Armour had out for a little while of a bunch of guys raising a basketball goal that was taken out of production within days. I'm not offended, but I'm not in support of it either. Some may argue that it's making light of a rather serious event and not to mention a national monument. Although peoples grandparents could have lost their lives so that they could even take that picture so I can see where the super offended people are coming from.

I get bashful wearing my Innova Airforce shirt... I'll only wear it on the course lest someone think I was actually in the AirForce.

Latest posts