• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this basket location illegal, stupid or clever?

Doesn't/Didn't the USDGC have some gimmicky real or imagined boundaries around the basket?

There are no regs regarding these issues. Baskets are legal.

You can argue whether they're a good idea or good design, but there's nothing prohibiting them from being used in tournaments.

And then there's 16 at Hyzer Creek. A double-dogleg par 5 that ends here........

4796_m.jpg

Always good for the argument that if the target is surrounded by OB, then it's somehow an illegal/poor design/etc.

Last edited:
And then there's 16 at Hyzer Creek. A double-dogleg par 5 that ends here........

4796_m.jpg

Always good for the argument that if the target is surrounded by OB, then it's somehow an illegal/poor design/etc.

Yes, I hate when people only look at that piture and then say it's bad design. The putt to the basket isn't that bad. You eed to know how to lay your shot up.

I made the 3.5hr drive for the April tournament nearly 3yrs ago just to get the chance to play ole' 16 and I wasn't so impressed with the rest of that hole. That is such an amazing idea for a pin placement but I hated the hole. It just seemed like so much work getting through the two doglegs, heading downhill and then a bit uphill, and then you have to lay up and finally putt without landing in the OB water. I feel like the "challenge" on a hole like that should just be the putting and not the first 2 or 3 throws to get there.

Still, it's brilliant and I love to see innovation like that.

Last edited:
IMO, a lot depends on the approach to these. I am a big fan of using a tree to obstruct one side of a short/easy hole. Forcing a player to land on a specific side of the basket adds some needed teeth/skill to the hole that otherwise does not have any.

If the hole is quite long for the skill level for which the hole is designed, getting into putting range is challenge enough. Having to make a 30-40' putt (which is expected on the length of hole I have in mind here) through tightly spaced trees (pix 2 & 3) adds luck IMO. In general I am not a fan of that, but it does not bother me too much to have 1-2 holes like this on a course. More than that, however, is an issue to me (and my course rating criteria).

My initial take on the first pin was negative too. I was glad to read that the pin is just resting there and not embedded into the tree. The bank shot angle wasn't something I'd considered either, that's kind of intriguing. In general though, I like some limited access targets, it adds anothe dimension.

My only problem with the first one is the lean.

How is the first much different than placing a basket on an artificial pyramid?

what courses are these from

two of them look very familiar? What courses are these from?

Nevermind answered

Last edited:
One of the best Women golfers in the world had some pretty choice comments for that one also...
Her problem was psychological not lack of skills for handling it. Anyone who saw the video of her taking the 7 on that hole realized she was doinking 7 foot putts directly at the basket with no tree involved. No excuses for those misses except just getting rattled. A back story on that hole is I played that course in a practice round with Val Jenkins a week before Worlds. I showed her how to play the hole including using an overhead upside down putt from certain positions and she nailed several when trying it out. Val gained throws on the top women on that course and this hole specifically.

Direct blocking/hindering access to the chains kinda defeats the purpose of the 360 degree design of the basket, IMO.......... kinda putt-putt golf course-ish.

Direct blocking/hindering access to the chains kinda defeats the purpose of the 360 degree design of the basket, IMO.......... kinda putt-putt golf course-ish.
I'm not a fan if it's every hole but I don't think that a little challenge here and there is a bad thing either. It makes you consider your approach and lie much more as opposed to just trying to get within 20 feet anywhere from the basket.

First pic and placement, stupid.

Here's my biggest issues with some of the pics/placements...especially the one in cemented tires in the middle of the small tree...

WHAT ABOUT THE HEALTH OF THE TREE???

People forget that our sport was designed with nature in mind, to be a part of it, to take care of it. Destroying, or damaging of it is inexcusable. By players, and especially course designers. This is the NUMBER ONE reason why our sport has problems getting into parks around the country.

Her problem was psychological not lack of skills for handling it. Anyone who saw the video of her taking the 7 on that hole realized she was doinking 7 foot putts directly at the basket with no tree involved. No excuses for those misses except just getting rattled. A back story on that hole is I played that course in a practice round with Val Jenkins a week before Worlds. I showed her how to play the hole including using an overhead upside down putt from certain positions and she nailed several when trying it out. Val gained throws on the top women on that course and this hole specifically.

Getting a little defensive there, Chucky. It's OK to admit every idea isn't a homerun.