• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I've been taking it easy.

I had some surgery in February. I couldn't walk down a hall for a few days. I just kept taking walks. At week 3 I was walking 6 miles a day. Now I'm on my bike doing 24 mile rides several times a week. My point is that you will get there. Be a persistent SOB. Your diet and exercise comes first. Even if you piss off a few people. Keep plugging away and you will get results. If you get down or don't think you're progressing change up your routine or take a rest day. Work your ass off, but don't forget to rest. The body needs proper rest to heal and get better. Good luck. You will get it done.

I've finally lost the 40 pounds I gained when I quit smoking by playing disc golf, my girl lost even more (a lot more) doing the same. We haven't really modified our eating habits much, in that our plates are still stacked high, and we eat like fat royalty. But there's a lot more fruits and vegetables in the diet, and we get out every day we can manage it, regardless of how we feel. We could have restricted ourselves to strict diets, but we likely would have given up on it, because eating is fun and awesome. Instead, we just kept moving, quit buying lots of soda, and our pre-disc golf fast food is one value size burger, one value size side... No soda. That's our only concession. Our salads have blue cheese crumbled all over them, bacon is involved in as many meals as possible, and we'll still polish off large pizzas between the two of us. With your size, you should be able to eat even more than our gluttonous selves, and still lose weight. But you gotta keep playing rounds. Three rounds a week is insufficient, though, unless life gets really hectic. 5-7 rounds, so you can work on getting those muscles ready for full rounds again. Don't let bad weather stop you. More importantly, don't let winter stop you. I know it's cold as hell in Ohio during the winter. It's cold here in Michigan too, but once you've played a few holes your core warms up and the rest is comfortable. It's being sedentary during the winter that's going to beat you. You can lose 2 pounds a week easy just by following this plan, but if you slack during the holidays, it'll all come back. And if you let those muscles atrophy during the winter, then you wont have the strength you need to play full rounds again come spring.

I read in your link that you're planning a drastic lifestyle change, and if you can do that, more power to you. But for myself, and most people I know, old habits die hard. It's easier to make small changes, like not having soda in the house, eating one apple every dinner, and getting out to play even in marginal weather. And making those changes wont stress you out so much that your wife and kids hate you.

This happened to me too. I was 180ish in my early 20s, and by the time I hit 30 I was looking at 280. I went through the 'divorce diet' and got myself down to about 250, and now I'm sitting around 230 thanks to disc golf. There's no better way to lose weight than doing something you enjoy. I'm down 20 pounds since I started, and I play 18 holes every day. We are all behind you man, and keep us updated as to your weight loss and improvement in the game.

Then you know exactly how I feel other then me gaining an extra 120 pound more then your 280 weight, but its still the same feeling. My buddy was 180 a year ago and now reached 300. We are both helping to inspire each other.

For those 10 hole I did shoot my first ever -1. 1 under par is awesome. I was really working hard to figure it out. Mainly I had to figure out how to keep my drives down so I could throw further.

Calorie counting is where it is at. My wife lost a bunch of weight using "lose-it", it is a great tool. It gives you a calorie budget and factors in exercise, another cool thing is it has the calories of food/dishes at a lot of fast food/take out joints (plus if you have a smart phone you can get the app). Check it out... http://www.loseit.com/

Thanks for the link. I do check everything out and digest everything (no pun intended) then I pull out everything I want to try to see if it works for me. As you know something that would work for me may not work for you.

Keep it under 2000 calories a day and you will shrink, it's all you need anyway. I won't wish you luck because luck won't work.

You are right about luck. Proper planning with persistent action will equal success.

Good luck man. Make walking a full course part of your goal to lose weight.

Yes, I have that goal in mind for sure. I did run into some newbies and managed to walk the whole course with them. Watching them played was like seeing myself in the past.

More power to ya man, Its all in the diet and exercise. The DG Gods are with you.

Yes they are I love the fact DG is exercising without thinking of it as exercise.

I had some surgery in February. I couldn't walk down a hall for a few days. I just kept taking walks. At week 3 I was walking 6 miles a day. Now I'm on my bike doing 24 mile rides several times a week. My point is that you will get there. Be a persistent SOB. Your diet and exercise comes first. Even if you piss off a few people. Keep plugging away and you will get results. If you get down or don't think you're progressing change up your routine or take a rest day. Work your ass off, but don't forget to rest. The body needs proper rest to heal and get better. Good luck. You will get it done.

I know what you mean about the build up. I start it out, but then I quit one day and then start quitting on other days until I am back where I was. I need a slow and steady pace. Plus I need my will back in order to go no matter what.

I've finally lost the 40 pounds I gained when I quit smoking by playing disc golf, my girl lost even more (a lot more) doing the same. We haven't really modified our eating habits much, in that our plates are still stacked high, and we eat like fat royalty. But there's a lot more fruits and vegetables in the diet, and we get out every day we can manage it, regardless of how we feel. We could have restricted ourselves to strict diets, but we likely would have given up on it, because eating is fun and awesome. Instead, we just kept moving, quit buying lots of soda, and our pre-disc golf fast food is one value size burger, one value size side... No soda. That's our only concession. Our salads have blue cheese crumbled all over them, bacon is involved in as many meals as possible, and we'll still polish off large pizzas between the two of us. With your size, you should be able to eat even more than our gluttonous selves, and still lose weight. But you gotta keep playing rounds. Three rounds a week is insufficient, though, unless life gets really hectic. 5-7 rounds, so you can work on getting those muscles ready for full rounds again. Don't let bad weather stop you. More importantly, don't let winter stop you. I know it's cold as hell in Ohio during the winter. It's cold here in Michigan too, but once you've played a few holes your core warms up and the rest is comfortable. It's being sedentary during the winter that's going to beat you. You can lose 2 pounds a week easy just by following this plan, but if you slack during the holidays, it'll all come back. And if you let those muscles atrophy during the winter, then you wont have the strength you need to play full rounds again come spring.

I read in your link that you're planning a drastic lifestyle change, and if you can do that, more power to you. But for myself, and most people I know, old habits die hard. It's easier to make small changes, like not having soda in the house, eating one apple every dinner, and getting out to play even in marginal weather. And making those changes wont stress you out so much that your wife and kids hate you.

Love the post. I really enjoyed the read. I do hope to eventually do 2 courses a day. As for winter I did do that last year until I lost my favorite disc. Plus trying to throw was very difficult for me. I was unable to keep my footing. I think some of my drives were barely over 150 ft sometimes. I was getting 5's and 6's on holes. I never do that in the summer. Maybe a couple 5's all summer. In the winter I will get a couple 5's per game. Irritating!!! I tell myself I can learn to improve, but coupled with the harsh wind makes playing next to impossible for me.

I do know what you mean about it not really feeling as cold once you are moving.

I do look forward to visiting Michigan's Flip City course. My wife went on a trip with her twin sister that was 20 miles away from there. Man I wish I could have went with her.

Now to stick to my Ohio roots Go Bucks!!! (even though they are going through a crap storm)

Simple formula...no soda, no fast food, drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies and lean meats. Sleep normal hours, workout at least 1 hour every day, get someone close to you to keep you motivated, and watch the pounds melt away.

The problem with many overweight folks is they eat until full, as if it were their last meal. Since your stomach has probably been stretched significantly, it will take awhile of hard dedication eating smaller portions for it to shrink down again. Then, you won't feel nearly so hungry all the time.

Remember, you can eat as much as you want of celery, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, salad, etc to fill you up. Stay away from overly fatty and sugary foods, and reward yourself with a small slice of cake or whatever for every 5 pounds you drop. Once you get your body back to "normal" metabolism in 6 months or so, it will be much easier to maintain your weight since you'll be regularly exercising and eating less, much less.

The key is to indulge a bit when you hit your goals so you feel good about your efforts, but not as a standard practice of eating. Way too many people think they can eat what they want, when they want. This is a recipe for bad health, plain and simple.

Tim S.

just my .02, but i lost about 50lbs in just over 4months discing and eating right, like others have said, small portions and dont eat after 7pm (that one was a huge step for me)

also, i would add to weigh yourself more often, maybe daily, if you are truly on a mission to lose weight the few lb(s) you will see from day to day will make you feel better that you are doing good, or make you want to strive harder than the day before(if you tend to slip up, and everyone slips up, its all about limiting those slip-ups)

You can do it brother! :hfive:
Your DGCR family is rooting for you!!! ;)

I did some good today. One day at a time for now on.

Simple formula...no soda, no fast food, drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies and lean meats. Sleep normal hours, workout at least 1 hour every day, get someone close to you to keep you motivated, and watch the pounds melt away.

The problem with many overweight folks is they eat until full, as if it were their last meal. Since your stomach has probably been stretched significantly, it will take awhile of hard dedication eating smaller portions for it to shrink down again. Then, you won't feel nearly so hungry all the time.

Remember, you can eat as much as you want of celery, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, salad, etc to fill you up. Stay away from overly fatty and sugary foods, and reward yourself with a small slice of cake or whatever for every 5 pounds you drop. Once you get your body back to "normal" metabolism in 6 months or so, it will be much easier to maintain your weight since you'll be regularly exercising and eating less, much less.

The key is to indulge a bit when you hit your goals so you feel good about your efforts, but not as a standard practice of eating. Way too many people think they can eat what they want, when they want. This is a recipe for bad health, plain and simple.

Tim S.

That is exactly what I was doing. I would eat all I could every meal. I figure I had to in order to feel satisfied. Dang it any how. Today I did not do that and I feel a ton better plus I made it a whole round today all 23 holes soon to be 24 hole course.

just my .02, but i lost about 50lbs in just over 4months discing and eating right, like others have said, small portions and dont eat after 7pm (that one was a huge step for me)

also, i would add to weigh yourself more often, maybe daily, if you are truly on a mission to lose weight the few lb(s) you will see from day to day will make you feel better that you are doing good, or make you want to strive harder than the day before(if you tend to slip up, and everyone slips up, its all about limiting those slip-ups)

Yeah I just keep looking forward to being at a healthy weight and being able to do so much more with my family and friends.

***UPDATE***

I made it through a whole round and better yet I shot my best score yet. +1 for all 23 holes. I had 5 deuces and 6 bogies. I am placing a 3 for the hole that is being worked on. I have made it in two numerous times, but par seems like the thing to do.

My score for today is listed here

I started off with 6 pars then a good amount of bogies. I bounced back by getting more deuces then I ever had before. That's what is so exciting to me. I know I can improve to finally get under par on my home course. Of course I have had under par other places, but never there.

My old best was +6

***UPDATE***

I made it through a whole round and better yet I shot my best score yet. +1 for all 23 holes. I had 5 deuces and 6 bogies. I am placing a 3 for the hole that is being worked on. I have made it in two numerous times, but par seems like the thing to do.

My score for today is listed here

I started off with 6 pars then a good amount of bogies. I bounced back by getting more deuces then I ever had before. That's what is so exciting to me. I know I can improve to finally get under par on my home course. Of course I have had under par other places, but never there.

My old best was +6

Good to hear man, keep it up!

That is freaking awesome. I remember when I was doing great and got down to 275. Then where I used to work they had me work 12 hours all of the time. I was doing the earlier version of P90X and I was dropping weight like crazy along with eating right. Although I am too big to do the workout videos. I just need to worry about small steps first. Take each day at a time and before I will know it I will be a proper weight.

For sure man :thmbup: eat right, stay hydrated, and work on getting out discing more and work on getting your playing time longer. Hope you can lose a lot of weight bro, best of luck to you :hfive: :thmbup:

edit: see you got your full round in, glad to hear it man!

I'm not sure what happened. I used to be so strong willed. Now I just let things go. Time to reinvent myself I guess.

If your mind is weak, the rest will follow suit. Perhaps some self-reflection and meditation will improve your determination. :)

When you eat, it's important to enjoy your food, the meal, the experience. Really absorb the whole activity instead of mindlessly inhaling what is on your plate. Savor each bite and take your time. The trick is, your stomach is extremely slow in informing your brain that you're full, so by the time your brain gets the message you've already overeaten.

It may help to begin preparing your own meals and getting creative and all gourmet on your meals, so that you have an incentive to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I co-sign everything timothysteele said, that's vital. But it sounds like you're on the right path so good for you. Feel free to use this board as a soundboard as much as you need. :thmbup:

Good to hear man, keep it up!

I was 400 last I weighed myself on Monday. I know the thread is is only a day old so I wanted to clarify before I mention what I weigh now. I will say at the end of this post. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

For sure man :thmbup: eat right, stay hydrated, and work on getting out discing more and work on getting your playing time longer. Hope you can lose a lot of weight bro, best of luck to you :hfive: :thmbup:

edit: see you got your full round in, glad to hear it man!

Yeah I got the whole round in and my feet were killing me. Although I did shot my best score ever. Too bad I had those bogies. Oh well it just means I have not hit my peak yet.

If your mind is weak, the rest will follow suit. Perhaps some self-reflection and meditation will improve your determination. :)

When you eat, it's important to enjoy your food, the meal, the experience. Really absorb the whole activity instead of mindlessly inhaling what is on your plate. Savor each bite and take your time. The trick is, your stomach is extremely slow in informing your brain that you're full, so by the time your brain gets the message you've already overeaten.

It may help to begin preparing your own meals and getting creative and all gourmet on your meals, so that you have an incentive to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I co-sign everything timothysteele said, that's vital. But it sounds like you're on the right path so good for you. Feel free to use this board as a soundboard as much as you need. :thmbup:

Its like you were in my mind. That is how I would approach meals. Wolf down as much as I could as fast as I could. Now I am being creative with my meals and weighing all of my daily choices before i make them instead of just jumping in and doing whatever I want.

Yeah I am kind of using this as one of my journals. As long as I keep it up I know I have to hold myself accountable. Plus, disc golf is such a fun sport. I would love to be able to do 3 rounds a day.

------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned from above I did weigh myself today and was pleasantly surprised. The scale gods have smiled upon me. I am now 391#. Sure I have a long way to go, but that is an awesome start.

I am back with another

***UPDATE***

I had a minor setback lack of judgement or whatever else you can call me :wall: :doh:

It made me :sick: for what I did. I ended up :popcorn: late at night 2am eating time last night.

I was determined to make better choices the next day and put the slip up behind me. The bad news is my wife and her twin where having a party with tons of food. Some how I managed only to eat one small piece of chicken and one bone of ribs. Plus potato salad later. I also played another round of disc golf Okay only 13 holes, but there was 16 people all together. Not what I really wanted, but hey part of the 16 was my family and anytime I get them out is a good time. Also out of the 16 was 6 kids 8 and under. My 4 year old threw the second furthest. The 8 year old had him by 15-20 feet each time. :hfive: goes out to my little man.

Then I made it back home after walking all over the freaking place for those 13 holes (felt like 48 holes of disc golf and yes I have done that once before.)
I managed to make it over to my scale. Just to see the damaged I created from the binge. I looked down reluctantly and seen the numbers 386. Yes I lost another 3 pounds now I am down 14 pounds from Monday's weigh in and the start of my new life.

Until next time have fun slinging the plastic.

Get a radio, or MP3 player, and put your headphones on and take a walk. The music, or what ever you listen to, helps the time go by faster, and makes the walk more enjoyable. I podcast talk shows myself.

Get a radio, or MP3 player, and put your headphones on and take a walk. The music, or what ever you listen to, helps the time go by faster, and makes the walk more enjoyable. I podcast talk shows myself.

Yeah I am much more a sports talk show person. I really do not like music that much. Although disc golf really seems to be doing the trick for me for now. Who knows maybe next year I will even enter a tournament.

I am going to start asking people from this site to go play a round of golf with me. Makes it more enjoyable when you can converse with others while playing. Plus I would like to match up against better people than myself to see how I can improve. I do not learn anything from beating my friends and family all of the time.

I managed to make it over to my scale. Just to see the damaged I created from the binge.

Just a suggestion, don't get too obsessive about weighing yourself.

Pick a specific time during the day for a weigh-in and stick with that for all of your future weigh-ins, as your weight does vary during the day. For the best ego-boost go for pre-breakfast, after any trips to the bathroom.

Weigh yourself, then put the scale away for two weeks. Come back at the same time under the same conditions, weigh. Repeat until you're at your goal and staying there consistently.

You had a good show this time, but usually if you're checking the scale after a binge, you're reinforcing the negative you already know, you over-did it.

A new way to think about weight loss

Hey RcRacer,

I wanted to take a moment to give you a slightly different way to think about losing weight. I was initially put onto this new way of thinking after listening to episodes # 254 and 255 of the C-Realm Podcast. http://crealm.libsyn.com/

The basic premise is to cut out alcohol, carbohydrates, and sugars. Alcohol was easy enough to cut out for us. The carbs and sugars are the challenge. Realistically, anything processed has lots of carbs. The two podcasts will explain why you want to cut those three things out.

The reason it's so hard to do is because the Industrial Agricultural system we have is so entrenched and so powerful that the corporations are the ones that lobby the governmental agencies and basically write their own nutritional guidelines that get adopted as the "Official" dietary wisdom of the times. The problem is we're all told that these guidelines will keep us healthy. That's where the new style of thinking comes into play. The real reason that the guidelines are the way they are is because it makes these huge corporations more profits if we're buying all their crap "food-like" products instead of buying truly healthy and real food.

The vast amounts of processed sugars and modified starches (carbs) out there in processed food spikes the bloodsugar stimulating an insulin response. Think of sugar and carbs as the same thing because your body converts the carbs to sugar. When your insulin response has been activated, your body will store what you eat as fat. It's a defense mechanism of your body to do this. The level of sugar and Carbs in a typical american diet is at toxic levels. One quote from the podcast above is that when you see yourself at a really heavy weight, it's a sign that your body is doing the only thing it can to save your life and that's to store all that harmful starch and sugar as fat.

Once I cut out all the processed food, started buying all natural organic, fresh items, my weight started to drop all by itself. I'd encourage you to do more research into this. It worked for my family. Also it might seem that all organic and natural food is expensive. It is, but we find that we don't need to eat as much so we're actually spending less $ per month on more expensive food products.

My typical daily diet is to have plain eggs in the morning (2-3) with just salt and pepper. For lunch, I have a half a quart of an all natural yogurt with a handful of organic trailmix and an organic apple and bananna. For dinner, we make a stir fry with either grass fed beef, or free-range chicken. After about a week of cutting carbs and sugars out, your body's insulin response will change over and you'll start burning away all that fat that you've stored. Stick with this diet until you get to the weight you want. Then slowly start adding some natural carbs back like organic potato or rice, but only in limited amounts when you know you'll burn it off.

This information is all out there but you won't find it in any mainstream sources because of the greediness of our corporations. I'd suggest starting with those two podcasts. It'll take two hours to listen to them and you'll have a feeling for yourself of whether it's for you or not.

Hope this helps and I applaud your effort to change your own reality and lifestyle. You can do it. I know you can. Heck, if our family could finally see through all the BS and make the change, anyone can.

DH

Latest posts