• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just bought first discs

ripit209

Hey everyone, great forum. I've been poking around here reading beginner advice and watching some videos on youtube. After seeing some threads and checking what was available at Play it Again I bought my girlfriend and myself a Roc and an Aero putter. I saw that the Roc and Buzzz is a good combo for a beginner, should I order a Buzz for us each or will be able to learn some technique with just the Roc?

I've only been out to play once (used a beast and some putter) and she has never played. I actually got the beast to fly 150ft consistently BH but should I still stay away from trying to buy any driver until I get the basics down? From what I'm reading I should be able to get the Roc to fly a couple hundred feet if thrown properly.

I plan on playing a few times a week all summer as I only live about a mile from Oak Grove course in Stockton, CA. I've got quite a few experienced friends who I'd like to keep up with in the near future:)

Throw the Roc. Repeat.

Don't worry about the putter, it doesn't matter. If you keep playing, you'll go probably through a dozen different molds over time.

...and welcome. :)

Stick with the Roc definitely, you won't be able to appreciate the differences b/w it and the Buzzz until you learn some fundamentals. However, a Comet is a very good Roc complement and more beginner friendly, it will make you a better player b/c it requires good form to throw it well.

Definitely feel up a bunch of putters (Aviar, Wizard, Magic, Challenger, Magnet, APX, Voodoo, Vibram, Ion) and get one. Learning to putt is the quickest way to kick your buddies' collective arses. ;)

Welcome amigo. :)

Thanks for the welcome! Also, I noticed my GF's roc say's R-PRO on it, mine does not...is there a difference here? I will definitely continue playing but we'll see how she likes it.

Last edited:
It's just a different plastic than the stock DX that you have. Take a look at the Innova website to learn more about the different plastic types, and there is also lots of good info on their site. www.innovadiscs.com

Tim S.

Thanks for the welcome! Also, I noticed my GF's roc say's R-PRO on it, mine does not...is there a difference here? I will definitely continue playing but we'll see how she likes it.

The "feel" of the two plastic materials will be different.
The blue R-Pro will probably be a bit more durable.
They'll start off with the same flight path and get more different over time, based on the wear and tear.

Welcome to the family, dude. Good choice with the Roc; it will serve you well. If you are feeling good with it, I'd say go ahead and get a driver. Hard work and proper form don't feel as good if you never see the payoff. I'd suggest a Lat64 striker, an Innova Valkyrie, or maybe a Discraft Avenger SS. It's really up to you. Keep in mind, the objective is to have fun.

It is definitely a lot of fun that's why I'm so pumped to get my form down and start ripping some drives!

Yup, stick with that Roc, it will serve you well. If anything add a stingray to get something a understable to compliment it, but I wouldn't buy a bunch more until you get comfortable with mids and putters.

Always remember that the first rule of disc golf is to have fun, and welcome to the sport!

Last edited:
I really liked Oak Grove in Stockton when I played it. As far as buying some discs. I would buy a Leopard. Leopards were the first fairway drivers I taught my kids with and they are a great disc. My longest Ace (381 feet) was with a leopard. WHen you start to improve try a roadrunner or sidewinder. My wifes disc of choice is now a sidewinder. Also try buying discs on here in the markeplace. You will get better deals and beginners should buy used discs to experiment with. You should experiment with Backhand, forehand, tomehawks or thumbers and see what fits your game the best. I live in southern california and have been playing for years here. Its great and I wish you the best of luck this summer.

I've only been out to play once (used a beast and some putter) and she has never played. I actually got the beast to fly 150ft consistently BH but should I still stay away from trying to buy any driver until I get the basics down? From what I'm reading I should be able to get the Roc to fly a couple hundred feet if thrown properly.

Welcome to the family, dude. Good choice with the Roc; it will serve you well. If you are feeling good with it, I'd say go ahead and get a driver. Hard work and proper form don't feel as good if you never see the payoff. I'd suggest a Lat64 striker, an Innova Valkyrie, or maybe a Discraft Avenger SS. It's really up to you. Keep in mind, the objective is to have fun.
If he's only getting a Beast out to 150', a Valk, A-ss or a Striker probably won't help much, although those are good choices for a first distance driver.

Something slower like a Leopard, Polaris, Cheetah, Gazelle, or Cyclone would be fine though, and it will help teach you to keep the nose down.

If he's only getting a Beast out to 150', a Valk, A-ss or a Striker probably won't help much, although those are good choices for a first distance driver.

Something slower like a Leopard, Polaris, Cheetah, Gazelle, or Cyclone would be fine though, and it will help teach you to keep the nose down.

I only payed about 8 holes, and it was consistently getting better each throw. I'm going to hit the course tomorrow and see how it goes with the Roc:thmbup:

stick with the beast. it was the first disc i started getting to flatten out and anhyzer back in the day, gaining max distance. build up a progression, once you hit that point try the wraith and so on..valkyries and teebirds are good beginner discs also.

rocs are good mids also... your off to a good start, keep it simple, thats the name of the game.

Welcome to the site and the sport!

You've heard the Innova point of view, now for some discraft!

Definately get some Buzzz's. The new Buzzz SS in Z plastic is super stable and durable. And a regular Buzzz In Z plastic is a little overstable and very durable. I wish they had these discs when I started playing.

Other good discraft beginer discs are Stratus, Meteor, Cyclone- stuff thats around neutral to slightly stable. The Comet is a fine disc, but it takes a little more finesse to throw properly.

Putter selection, if and when you decide to get one is a little more delicate as there are so many choices, and diferent putting styles. I use a Crystal Z Challenger, but it may be a little overstable for a beginer. A magnet is a good 1st putter.

Innova makes fine discs, but so does Discraft and a few other companies. Find what works best for you, and remember, HAVE FUN!

Stick with the putter and the mid until they are submissive to you and fly the way you tell them to fly. Then follow Bro-D's advice on the drivers: Leopard, Polaris, Cheetah, Gazelle, or Cyclone in addition to XL, XS, Xpress, Archangel, Assassin.

What I SHOULD have started with:
DX Aviar, X Comet, DX Leopard.

After a year or so of play, I could have gotten:

putter
DX Aviars

Mids
X Comets
DX Rocs

Drivers
DX Teebird, DX Leopard

I think if I did that, I would have been a much better player today ;)

^^This^^:thmbup: Slightly altered your text for the sake of this point

shot options, simplicity, affordable, plenty of room for the bag to grow while using these at the core of any game. I would put these discs in the hands of ANYONE who's serious about getting better. Not just beginners. If I could do it over again I would start here as well.

Just put this up in another thread. I think it applies here also since suggestions have begun. Best of luck to the improvement of your game. And welcome to the sport.

I threw discraft to start out because I knew the name from Ultimate. My first discs were:

Distance:
Xpress (eliteX)
Avenger SS (elite Z)

Mid Range
Comet (elite X) - I loved this disc. It flies so much like an ultra star (Official Disc of Ultimate). Just got a new one in ESP.
Buzzz (elite x) - Didn't care for it as much as the comet but I am using it more and more everyday.

Putters
APX - Flys straight and will hold a line. I got three of them so I can practice putting.

I did add a surge after playing handicaps because people saw that I had a pretty good flick but didn't have anything over stable.

enjoy the consistent slow progression of that roc

you'll throw it until it can't do anything but flip

what i was gonna say. also no need for a buzzz if you already have this frisbee. not right now anyways. then keep the roc as a roller!!

Latest posts