• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Kastaplast Kaxe

Got a Kaxe recently as per your suggestion jcass. Been needing to rest my knee from a minor injury, and it's been raining here anyway, but I'm hoping to get out with it soon (perhaps even tonight) to test it a abit. Very curious!

Report back with your findings :thmbup:

I'm loving these so much that I am looking to have some RDG stamped Kasta done up in 2016

I'm loving these so much that I am looking to have some RDG stamped Kasta done up in 2016

Got mine as well in the mail. No time to throw yet. I am digging this pewter k2 and my baby blue k1 with a silver stamp.

Get cool colors jcass!

I've had to nurse that knee injury a bit longer than anticipated, but I'm finally mended enough to throw comfortably. Got a few evenings in throwing my Kaxe at a nearby park. Going to share my initial impressions, but first I wanted to quote jcass' synopsis that got my intrigued in the first place.

My friend...

Try the Kastaplast Kaxe. It is like a Roc & a Teebird had a mythical lovechild.

Fantastic HSS (for it's speed) and a really reliable low speed fade. It sits beautifully between my Rocs & Crave/Resistor duo. Perfect for powering down and getting a pretty OS flight or powering up and getting a slightly longer Champion Roc-esque flight. This is a "forever" disc in my bag. I really don't see myself ever playing without one as it just fits a need that I always thought about but never found the disc.

The shape is also a unique thing. It is kinda domey, beaded but features a very straight lower wing, unlike a concave Roc.
The K1 plastic is very similar to a 400s from Prodigy and it is tough as nails.

Enough rambling... try a Kaxe and you won't look back. I can guarantee it.

The thing that jumps out to me from the get-go is how fast this disc is. It's a true mid-fairway tweener, which is part of it, but there's also something about it that makes it an easy flier: virtually every throw I've had with the Kaxe has gone farther than anticipated. It's got a later-than-you'd-expect fade, and just a hair of turn to further keep it in the air. It is indeed very versatile: capable of beef-cake hyzers or long tight S-curves alike. I've hit some sweet skip shots with it too that are much more controllable and laterally tight than anything I could coax my Resistor on. It's perhaps worth keeping for that alone.

A perhaps-odd comparison that continues to spring to mind is a (obviously much slower) Photon, which also has that combination of floaty HSS portion of flight before a late, reliable fade.

This is a hella fun disc to throw. It's just got such giddy-up, especially for a mid. I'm going to carry it for a time and see where it comes in handy. I've never bagged a disc like this before, something that fills the gap between speed 4ish mids and my 7 speed fairways, so it's not immediately obvious to me when I'll pull it out but I know that's just a lack of experience. I feel like this could be one of those discs that really opens up new lines. It will also keep me from having to force my Suspects to cover more distance than they would like to: I'm a big fan of the Suspects, but they have a pretty hard distance cap, whereas the Kaxe seems like I can push well into long fairway territory.

Thanks for the great recommendation, jcassidy! :thmbup:

I did the same thing when learning the variety of shots that the Kaxe is capable of.

Let it ride in your bag and use it from time to time when you might try to push or power down a different mold. The more you throw it the more you will come to rely on it.

Kastaplast rules!

I did the same thing when learning the variety of shots that the Kaxe is capable of.

Let it ride in your bag and use it from time to time when you might try to push or power down a different mold. The more you throw it the more you will come to rely on it.

Kastaplast rules!

This is my plan.

Anyone throwing the kaxe z beadless?

Oh yes. I actually throw it more often than the Kaxe.

I don't get along too well with Buzzzes for whatever reason but the KaxeZ gives me a Buzzz like flight out of a more "Roc-ish" feeling disc.

I use mine a ton for shots you would use a Leo type disc for. Long drives that drift and finish straight, slow/smooth hyzers, etc.

They're fantastic flying discs. I'm a big fan.

I traded for both the kaxe and z. Haven't been able to throw them yet. Hear allot of talk about the kaxe and was just wondering if they are different enough to make sense to bag both?

You've mine. I sorta miss that color combo on the Kaxe.

Even to me they were different enough to bag both. I noticed more stability in the Kaxe than I did in the Kaxe Z, a good windfigher disc. Sort of like how a TB is to a TL for me. Eventually the Kaxe may break into Z stability, but that will probably take awhile.

I traded for both the kaxe and z. Haven't been able to throw them yet. Hear allot of talk about the kaxe and was just wondering if they are different enough to make sense to bag both?

100%

You'll find the Kaxe is quite stubborn. The profile doesn't seem to suggest just how stable the disc is. You won't ever really be able to get it to finish on anything other than a hyzer. The HSS is also about as solid as I've seen a disc in that speed class. Even given a lot of OAT, it'll still flutter and fight to flat.

The KaxeZ is a different animal. You can manipulate it significantly more and you will be able to hit a lot more lines than the Kaxe. I won't say that I like the Z more... but I will say that I reach for it more.

Good descriptions. Thanks guys. They feel fun and fast (for the feel). I really am itching to get out and throw them when I get the chance.

Good descriptions. Thanks guys. They feel fun and fast (for the feel). I really am itching to get out and throw them when I get the chance.

Report back when you do!

I have developed a soft spot for Kastaplast and I really like seeing folks enjoy their discs.

Report back when you do!

I have developed a soft spot for Kastaplast and I really like seeing folks enjoy their discs.

Will do. The plastic feels good and premium, prodigy'esque maybe?. I had a berg at one point but couldn't get into the softness of the plastic, it was a first run maybe k2. I'd like to try their baseline firm plastic maybe again too.

I have a couple short courses by me these kaxe/z may be fun and easy to throw at.

Will do. The plastic feels good and premium, prodigy'esque maybe?. I had a berg at one point but couldn't get into the softness of the plastic, it was a first run maybe k2. I'd like to try their baseline firm plastic maybe again too.

I have a couple short courses by me these kaxe/z may be fun and easy to throw at.

k3 berg is worth a try.

The kaxe is amazing. Its sweet how much glide it has for how stable it finishes. If I weren't sticking with sharks this would be my stable mid.

K3 is quickly climbing my list of favorite plastics.

I have already talked with Kastaplast about trying to run some K3 Kaxe and I think they are going to run some tests this spring.

They also mentioned trying some K1 and K2 Reko which would be an amazing thing.

I have already talked with Kastaplast about trying to run some K3 Kaxe and I think they are going to run some tests this spring.

Oh God that would be sweet!
Supposedly they are still working on K3 in glow, too...

I was able to get out and throw my BEAUTIFUL new RDG stamped Kaxe this weekend. Strange and unique disc. Like a small diameter mid with a slightly elongated wing and micro bead. Feels fast and smooth. I was hoping for something closer to a fairway than a mid that I can put a little more into as I recover from back surgery and don't have the power or rotation that I'm used to.

When throwing it, it was exactly what I hoped. Slightly longer than my mids, but not quite to my fairways. The difference is negligible and I can't really see much situation where throwing a Kaxe over my fairways will achieve much for me. The distance in field practice as well as two drives off several holes on the course was less than 20'.

However, the Kaxe just feels so good in the hand. The K1 plastic is slightly flexible - yet maintains rigidity, smooth, and tacky - similar to Lat64 Opto or a bit of a softer Prodigy 400. Solid premium plastic entry. The wing of the disc is comfortably smoothed to nestle into your hand without any disc-comfort (I crack me up) unlike some fairways that have a sharp feeling wing. The wing holds very firm even with a full-power pull while the flight plate is soft enough to provide excellent grip. I am an instant fan of this plastic.

The Kaxe quickly became the #1 disc I'll bag that I have no reason for! It's overlap, but I just fell in love with it. As I recover and regain my form, we'll see how she flies and see if it makes the bag permanently - kicking out a fairway or mid - or if it just finds a place in my office.

Well done, Kestaplast. I'll be keeping my eyes on these guys.

Anyone throwin these forehand? I'm still looking for a good forehand approach disc. I'm using a suspect now but I want something a little more versatile. Is the rim comfortable?

Anyone throwin these forehand? I'm still looking for a good forehand approach disc. I'm using a suspect now but I want something a little more versatile. Is the rim comfortable?

Very

The Kaxe is an awesome disc to have in your bag.
It has quickly become a safety blanket type mold for me. I can rely on it in the wind, on utility lines and everything in between.

It is most certainly faster than a Suspect but I think the stability and feel of the disc really is conducive to what you are looking for.

The Kaxe excels both at powered down approaches and powered up drives.
I hope to one day become known as the "annoying Kaxe advocate" as I recommend them all day/every day